3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

What was one of the biggest problems on D last year? Nickel defense. Jereome Baker fills that void. Good pick. Super fast & can tackle. Preferred Lorenzo Carter, but Baker is a solid pick.

Also in the not thrilled camp, but I guess he is here to develop into a coverage LB. Maybe we can snag a run stuffer like Genard Avery, or someone else on day 3.

I wish we would've tried to trade back with that 3rd, and picked up Harrison Philips instead... how he lasted until the end of the 3rd is nuts

I'm not sure how I feel about the Jerome Baker pick because after reading up about him I read where he gave up three touchdowns in each of the last two seasons in coverage. I don't know how to interpret that perhaps that means he's not good in coverage downfield which might mean covering tight ends? they also ranked him very highly as an efficient tackler, ranking 24th in the nation in Tackle efficiency, that may mean he's better at plays in front of him? and covering the flat; but there is some concern about this guy's coverage down field?

Meh. But those first 2 picks I have zero issues with. I would love to see a possible double up at TE or a Guard. I understand the defensive issues, I just want some competition and a more complete picture on offense.

I love this draft.

Fitzpatrick/Gesicki/Baker have all been in my top 2 or 3 best possible selections at each spot.

Last year = no LBs

This year = 2 Ohio State LBs.

I know what im getting and im thrilled.

Gesicki is the rare Penn Stater that i actually coveted. The Penn State thing is the only thing that broke the tie with Goedert and had me preferring Dallas.

I've loved Minkah since his freshman year.

People hate Kiko - we draft kikos coverage replacement - people hate the pick

I don’t get it

Yep, spot on and exactly that.

He is a highly athletic kid with sideline-to-sideline speed, and can stick to tight ends in coverage. Baker’s been projected as a great fit as a Will linebacker in a 4-3 defense by a lot of the major scouts and pundits out there. Not really seeing the downside here.

I like the pick, and see what they’re doing. I friggin’ LOVE this Dolphins draft!

Our typical understanding of LB units and the need for a big strong SAM is fading in the NFL. McMillan is our biggest starting LB and I felt he was small. But the wave is continuing for teams to run multiple small/fast LBs who can cover. Burke and company have repeatedly said they want our LBs to be able to move around and play different spots. To me, that means traditional SAM role isn't as important for a bulk of the time. They want speed, coverage, and smart ball players. Baker fits that mold. Unfortunately, I do anticipate some clips of Baker being run over or simply not being able to secure a tackle in his rookie year. His size is going to hurt him at times in the run game. But I am interesting in seeing him and his "mentor" McMillan getting to play together. I love it when teammates get to keep rolling together on the pro level.

Was 2/2 in excitement in Miami picks and then this one....eh I knew it wouldn’t last long.

Of course.. You are a Miami Dolphins fan. But you are excited for 2 draft picks who have yet to play a down in the NFL and not excited about a 3rd rd pick with potential who also happen to play 0 NFL plays.

Go watch Raekwon highlights. You see Baker flash in so many of those plays that you think it's supposed to be his highlight video.

If we can still get Shaquem Griffin and a lineman (D or O) that can make the team, I'll be doing cartwheels over this draft. Friggin home run.

Look at the undersized guys we have at LB. Mike Hull (232 pounds), Baker (229), Alonso (233), Garvin (230). We need more 245-250 pounders who can run.

I don't know the player, I see the stats and such. But this looks like a response to the Michel pick by NE.

Back
Top Bottom