3ypc 1.10: Otas Begin, Oj Mcduffie Interview

Discussion in 'Dolphins Podcasts and Social Media' started by ckparrothead, May 24, 2018.

1. Crump

Crump FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I still regret all the hyping up I did about Larry Shannon, but go ECU! I wanted Moss bad that year but I swore by the fact that Shannon was gonna be just as good. hindsight I guess he only had one even decent season at ECU. his measurable were just great, size, speed, vert, ECU was a rushing team back then though so oh well. sad part was I was trying to look up his combine stats (I remember from being on campus that he had hurt his leg so he might've not have participated. but I found this gym. he is one of the 6 worst draft decisions of all time according to this site (sigh)
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/2/1...takes-history-aaron-curry-j-j-watt-cam-newton

ANUFan and ckparrothead like this.
  2. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Our defenses ranked poorly with our running game back then. To much Danny boy back then which was good but bad. The oline looked great back then because of his Dans skills and the running game was really a short passing game out of the backfield to Stanley Pritchett and the like. Offense was on and off the field pretty quick which exposed and wore down the defense. Along comes JJ and Abdul Jabbar his first year JJ committs to the running game, we get our first 1000 yard rusher in forever in like 2 1/2 yards per carry and our defensive stats soar suddenly. Hum makes me wonder these days if Gases quick strike offense is the smart way to go.

3. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Great podcast, thanks for sharing.

ckparrothead likes this.
  4. Markcalius

Markcalius Druggist Finheaven VIP

Great work all around!

Anything you guys can do to standardize the pronunciation of Mike Gesicki's last name would be much appreciated. :)

"geh-SIH-kee"
    "geh-SEH-kee"
    "jeh-SIH-kee"

"geh-SIH-kee" seems to be the way the pundits are pronouncing it.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Haha it actually drives me nuts. You'll notice I've been saying it the same throughout, but my co-hosts waffle a bit. But now I'm thinking, it's kind of funny at this point that we all just blatantly pronounce it a different way even in the same conversation, like none of us will take a cue from the other.

6. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I can't find the video at the moment, but in one of those "meet the press" type things we do, he was asked how to pronounce it, and Mike Gesicki said it is prounounced:

"guh-SICK-ee"

So to recap, that's a hard G, followed buy "uh" for the first part, then the word "SICK" emphasized followed by a third part of "ee" or "key".

Me personally, I'm nicknaming the kid "Sick." If you watch his highlights, it seems appropriate. Not many 6'6 TE's can leapfrog their standing QB right after he runs for a TD … but 'Sick is special.

Crump and ckparrothead like this.
  7. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan Donator

Good job! been sayin' for quite some time we need to (obviously) get off the schneid WAY effing earlier than like 98.875% of our games.

3-7 points @halftime = a loser.

If Gase is gonna succeed in today's N F L he better figure that chit out!

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Today Jesse Davis told the media that his OL Coach informed him a few weeks ago that he has won the starting Right Guard job.

This removes a small overhang for me, personally. There was always a chance they were just going to disagree on Davis vs Larsen and decide to go with the veteran Larsen, especially as Larsen played for Dowell Loggains in Chicago and may in fact have been recommended to Miami by Loggains in the first place.

Announcing Jesse Davis as the starter over Ted Larsen so EARLY carries some meaning:

1) It means they value Jesse Davis, which we already knew,
    2) It means they're continuing to place a premium on pass protection over run blocking, as they have all off season,
    3) It means they've decided to value having the starting unit all work together as early as possible, as often as possible, for the sake of chemistry.

I think that last point is not insignificant.

Granted we're all second-guessing people from our couches based on no real relevant experience, but I think it was pretty common for us to question all the cross-training and line shuffling they did the last two years with Chris Foerster as the OL Coach. Coincidentally or not so coincidentally, we saw a lot of legit early season chemistry issues in both pass protection and run blocking along the offensive line. They were especially slow to get their chemistry in zone protections and in picking up stunts.

Also worth noting, with Mike Pouncey needing to be sealed in a saline bag during the week in order to preserve him for Sundays, all that missed practice time had to be worth something in lost chemistry. We could only speculate (even if it is something I specifically heard from inside the building) that this was a factor in deciding to move on from Mike. But now we've got another data point to suggest that, yeah, it probably was.