3ypc 1.10: Otas Begin, Oj Mcduffie Interview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc 1.10: Otas Begin, Oj Mcduffie Interview

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Latest episode of 3 Yards Per Carry, we have O.J. McDuffie on for an interview along with his business partner Seth Levit.

The two of them will be doing a podcast called The Fish Tank, also on the 5 Reasons Sports Podcast Network. The Fish Tank will focus on stories from the past with a guest list that will include the likes of Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Chris Chambers, etc. Channing Crowder wants in. A bunch of players want in, actually.

We at 3YPC will be collaborating with McDuffie and others (e.g. Chambers) more closely as the season gets underway, talking about the current Dolphins.

WEB VERSION: http://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/e/3ypc-otas-oj-mcduffie-seth-levit-episode-110/

iTUNES VERSION: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...-episode-110-24b00f90dd1700f333f1ee8f1a4eedd1

• Simon Clancy (Boomer) offers up a story about his experiences with some of the cast of The Wire.
  • Alf Arteaga (Section126) offers up confirmation of a rumor about the Dolphins trying to trade Ndamukong Suh, and the genesis of the Robert Quinn trade.
  • We offer up our confusion over Ryan Tannehill's lack of knee brace during OTAs. Note: not mentioned on-air, but Tannehill re-injured the knee during 2017 camp without contact WHILE wearing a brace, and some have complained to me on twitter about how moving around awkwardly in a knee brace has led to their own re-injury. Tannehill may fear the possibility of a re-injury during practice due to him trying to move around like he's used to with a bulky knee brace on, more than he fears re-injury in practice from a player making contact with him while he's wearing a red jersey and everyone on the team knows to stay away from Ryan's legs.
  • What are we looking for from OTAs?
  • Some talk about No Huddle. Dolphins gave up on it in 2016 after two games, yet it was very successful in those two games.
  • O.J. McDuffie reveals who the surprise king of the basketball court was during those legendary pickup games he used to host at his house. You'd not guess.
  • McDuffie tells from personal experience the most important traits for a good slot receiver.
  • He also talks a bit about scripting plays at the beginning of games, alluding to sometimes offensive coordinators trying a series of plays just to see how the defense is going to react, whereas other teams actually execute those initial series of plays and run out to a lead.

Also this:

I did a tweet storm on the above pass protection topic:

• Josh Sitton ranks #1 in pressure rate (allowed) out of all guards that have taken at least 250 pass pro snaps (about half a season's worth) in the last 5 years (169 players).
  • Daniel Kilgore if you look at Weeks 1-5 (Brian Hoyer at QB) and 13-17 (Jimmy Garoppolo at QB), Kilgore ranks #8 of 38 qualifying Centers in pressure rate. This involves stripping out the weeks of rookie C.J. Beathard playing QB, which you can justify since all of the 49ers OLs seemed to suffer the same in their pass pro metrics, and because other metrics make it clear Beathard was holding the ball far longer.
  • Ja'Wuan James ranked #4 of 35 qualifying RIGHT tackles in pressure rate while he played in 2017 (Weeks 2 through 9).
  • For all the crap he gets, Laremy Tunsil ranked #15 of 35 qualifying LEFT tackles in pressure rate during 2017. His biggest problem was a tendency to get flagged (12 times).
  • If you isolate the weeks where Jesse Davis played RIGHT guard for the Dolphins (Weeks 12-17), he ranked #13 of 36 in pressure rate among qualifying RIGHT guards.
  • As I said, if you count RBs that stayed in to block at least 30 times in 2017, Kenyan Drake ranks #4 of 43 in pressure rate allowed. He only allowed one pressure.
Injuries happen. A quarterback holding the football far too long happens. Failure to set protections correctly is something that happens. Receivers failing to get open is something that happens. Penalties and/or lack of run game creating lots of bad down & distance situations is something that happens. Bad play-calling happens.

However, setting aside those unknowns, the Dolphins have structured a good pass pro unit.

Lot of great nuggets. I won’t be a spoiler but the best basketball player is honestly one of my favorite players over the last twenty years.

The discussion on Suh vis a vis the Rams was stirring. I didn’t know any of that. I will say when Suh left, he did a tour of different teams so I doubt he had any secret deal with the Rams or any tampering that led to anything.

What was the background on the Stills deal that you referenced? That materialized out of something else?

alf2.jpg

Lot of great nuggets. I won’t be a spoiler but the best basketball player is honestly one of my favorite players over the last twenty years.

The discussion on Suh vis a vis the Rams was stirring. I didn’t know any of that. I will say when Suh left, he did a tour of different teams so I doubt he had any secret deal with the Rams or any tampering that led to anything.

What was the background on the Stills deal that you referenced? That materialized out of something else?

The Stills deal was born out of a good rapport between the Dolphins and Saints front offices (a rapport which still exists), which started when the Dolphins had conversations with the Saints about Jimmy Graham. They didn't quite get there on the trade terms for Graham, but there were no hard feelings about it.

Last edited:
McDuffie was always one of my favorites. Too bad his toe was kryptonite.

Was actually the doctors that ****ed him up, giving him painkillers and telling him to play and making his injury ultimately impossible to recover from. He won a judgement against Uribe iirc.

@Ck

Why 3 yards per carry?

Seem like you're punting every time.

We're Dolphins fans, man!

There aren't many of us Dolphins fans left who didn't grow up during an era of Dolphins football where we could never get over the top because we didn't have a ground game. Lorenzo Hampton, Troy Stradford, Sammie Smith, Mark Higgs, Bernie Parmalee, Irving Spikes, Lawrence Phillips, Karim Abdul-Jabbar, John Avery, J.J. Johnson, Cecil Collins...year after year, frustration with the ground game.

Listen to the first teaser episode (1.0). We'd have called ourselves the Daniel Thomas Hour but that might've been a bit much. Don't want to clog up the suicide prevention hotlines.

We're Dolphins fans, man!

There aren't many of us Dolphins fans left who didn't grow up during an era of Dolphins football where we could never get over the top because we didn't have a ground game. Lorenzo Hampton, Troy Stradford, Sammie Smith, Mark Higgs, Bernie Parmalee, Irving Spikes, Lawrence Phillips, Karim Abdul-Jabbar, John Avery, J.J. Johnson, Cecil Collins...year after year, frustration with the ground game.

Listen to the first teaser episode (1.0). We'd have called ourselves the Daniel Thomas Hour but that might've been a bit much. Don't want to clog up the suicide prevention hotlines.

Cecil the Diesel Collins...Haha

Interestingly, I think one of you guys were making a joke about him at the beginning of this podcast while talking about the Ajayi thing.

One of the purest running backs since R.Williams Miami has ever drafted. Darn shame he couldn't get his act together.

John Avery..Yike! Did Jimmy Johnson really draft him in the 1st round?

Cecil the Diesel Collins...Haha

Interestingly, I think one of you guys were making a joke about him at the beginning of this podcast while talking about the Ajayi thing.

One of the purest running backs since R.Williams Miami has ever drafted. Darn shame he couldn't get his act together.

John Avery..Yike! Did Jimmy Johnson really draft him in the 1st round?

Yeah but even when he got on the field, Cecil Collins sucked for us. Lawrence Phillips had talent too, but he didn't show it here, even taking aside the crazy.

John Avery...here because he had legit 4.4 speed. Didn't matter.

He was eventually traded for Marcus Nash, do you remember that? Another 1st round bust, so we basically swapped 1st round busts. Nash got in the 1st round because he was catching passes from Peyton Manning all through college.

Yeah but even when he got on the field, Cecil Collins sucked for us. Lawrence Phillips had talent too, but he didn't show it here, even taking aside the crazy.

John Avery...here because he had legit 4.4 speed. Didn't matter.

He was eventually traded for Marcus Nash, do you remember that? Another 1st round bust, so we basically swapped 1st round busts. Nash got in the 1st round because he was catching passes from Peyton Manning all through college.

Oh, I remember everything including the great Larry Shannon, WR. The guy that was supposed to be better than Rany Moss.

The Stills deal was born out of a good rapport between the Dolphins and Saints front offices (a rapport which still exists), which started when the Dolphins had conversations with the Saints about Jimmy Graham. They didn't quite get there on the trade terms for Graham, but there were no hard feelings about it.
Do you know if the good rapport is between Tannenbaum/Grier and Mickey Loomis or with Jeff Ireland? (Grier worked for Ireland for many years).

That Cheesy Minkah Fitzpatrick'er is a heck of a podcaster, and used to be one heck of a poster back in the day. Thanks for another excellent podcast CK, Alf and yes, Simon too … I guess if OJ McDuffie can forgive him for preferring Jarvis Landry, we can forgive him for leaving the board … temporarily. Hey, we got CK back, let's push onward and get Simon back too.

Back
Top Bottom