3ypc 1.10: Otas Begin, Oj Mcduffie Interview | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc 1.10: Otas Begin, Oj Mcduffie Interview

Oh, I remember everything including the great Larry Shannon, WR. The guy that was supposed to be better than Rany Moss.

I still regret all the hyping up I did about Larry Shannon, but go ECU! I wanted Moss bad that year but I swore by the fact that Shannon was gonna be just as good. hindsight I guess he only had one even decent season at ECU. his measurable were just great, size, speed, vert, ECU was a rushing team back then though so oh well. sad part was I was trying to look up his combine stats (I remember from being on campus that he had hurt his leg so he might've not have participated. but I found this gym. he is one of the 6 worst draft decisions of all time according to this site (sigh)
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/2/1...takes-history-aaron-curry-j-j-watt-cam-newton

Our defenses ranked poorly with our running game back then. To much Danny boy back then which was good but bad. The oline looked great back then because of his Dans skills and the running game was really a short passing game out of the backfield to Stanley Pritchett and the like. Offense was on and off the field pretty quick which exposed and wore down the defense. Along comes JJ and Abdul Jabbar his first year JJ committs to the running game, we get our first 1000 yard rusher in forever in like 2 1/2 yards per carry and our defensive stats soar suddenly. Hum makes me wonder these days if Gases quick strike offense is the smart way to go.

Great work all around!

Anything you guys can do to standardize the pronunciation of Mike Gesicki's last name would be much appreciated. :)

"geh-SIH-kee"
"geh-SEH-kee"
"jeh-SIH-kee"

"geh-SIH-kee" seems to be the way the pundits are pronouncing it.

Great work all around!

Anything you guys can do to standardize the pronunciation of Mike Gesicki's last name would be much appreciated. :)

"geh-SIH-kee"
"geh-SEH-kee"
"jeh-SIH-kee"

Haha it actually drives me nuts. You'll notice I've been saying it the same throughout, but my co-hosts waffle a bit. But now I'm thinking, it's kind of funny at this point that we all just blatantly pronounce it a different way even in the same conversation, like none of us will take a cue from the other.

Great work all around!

"geh-SIH-kee"
"geh-SEH-kee"
"jeh-SIH-kee"

I can't find the video at the moment, but in one of those "meet the press" type things we do, he was asked how to pronounce it, and Mike Gesicki said it is prounounced:

"guh-SICK-ee"

So to recap, that's a hard G, followed buy "uh" for the first part, then the word "SICK" emphasized followed by a third part of "ee" or "key".

Me personally, I'm nicknaming the kid "Sick." If you watch his highlights, it seems appropriate. Not many 6'6 TE's can leapfrog their standing QB right after he runs for a TD … but 'Sick is special.

Good job! been sayin' for quite some time we need to (obviously) get off the schneid WAY effing earlier than like 98.875% of our games.

3-7 points @halftime = a loser.

If Gase is gonna succeed in today's N F L he better figure that chit out!

• Josh Sitton ranks #1 in pressure rate (allowed) out of all guards that have taken at least 250 pass pro snaps (about half a season's worth) in the last 5 years (169 players).
  • Daniel Kilgore if you look at Weeks 1-5 (Brian Hoyer at QB) and 13-17 (Jimmy Garoppolo at QB), Kilgore ranks #8 of 38 qualifying Centers in pressure rate. This involves stripping out the weeks of rookie C.J. Beathard playing QB, which you can justify since all of the 49ers OLs seemed to suffer the same in their pass pro metrics, and because other metrics make it clear Beathard was holding the ball far longer.
  • Ja'Wuan James ranked #4 of 35 qualifying RIGHT tackles in pressure rate while he played in 2017 (Weeks 2 through 9).
  • For all the crap he gets, Laremy Tunsil ranked #15 of 35 qualifying LEFT tackles in pressure rate during 2017. His biggest problem was a tendency to get flagged (12 times).
  • If you isolate the weeks where Jesse Davis played RIGHT guard for the Dolphins (Weeks 12-17), he ranked #13 of 36 in pressure rate among qualifying RIGHT guards.
  • As I said, if you count RBs that stayed in to block at least 30 times in 2017, Kenyan Drake ranks #4 of 43 in pressure rate allowed. He only allowed one pressure.

By the way if you do the same thing with Jesse Davis that I did with Josh Sitton, broaden out to all guards and not just right guards, and look at the 169 qualifiers from the last 5 years, his pressure rate ranks #72 of 169. But I do find it relevant that he was grading better subjectively, and his pass pro metrics were also better, when he played right guard the final six games.

Jesse Davis is 6'6" & 321 lbs, has 34" arms and a 6'10" wing span. His 1.70 second 10 yard split has only ever been beaten by three guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Joel Bitonio, Kyle Long). His 9'0" broad jump is 84th percentile. His 30.5" vertical jump is 82nd percentile. His 7.41 cone drill has only ever been beaten by seven guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Dion Dawkins, David DeCastro, Cody Whitehair, Ali Marpet, Joel Bitonio, Isaac Seumalo).

This is a huge, strong, physically gifted player who went under the radar because he made a switch from defensive tackle to offensive line late in his college career. So you have a young player, still relatively new to OL play, who was in his first year of playing in NFL games, was already above average as a pass protector, and now he's getting older and more experienced.

Today Jesse Davis told the media that his OL Coach informed him a few weeks ago that he has won the starting Right Guard job.

This removes a small overhang for me, personally. There was always a chance they were just going to disagree on Davis vs Larsen and decide to go with the veteran Larsen, especially as Larsen played for Dowell Loggains in Chicago and may in fact have been recommended to Miami by Loggains in the first place.

Announcing Jesse Davis as the starter over Ted Larsen so EARLY carries some meaning:

1) It means they value Jesse Davis, which we already knew,
2) It means they're continuing to place a premium on pass protection over run blocking, as they have all off season,
3) It means they've decided to value having the starting unit all work together as early as possible, as often as possible, for the sake of chemistry.

I think that last point is not insignificant.

Granted we're all second-guessing people from our couches based on no real relevant experience, but I think it was pretty common for us to question all the cross-training and line shuffling they did the last two years with Chris Foerster as the OL Coach. Coincidentally or not so coincidentally, we saw a lot of legit early season chemistry issues in both pass protection and run blocking along the offensive line. They were especially slow to get their chemistry in zone protections and in picking up stunts.

Also worth noting, with Mike Pouncey needing to be sealed in a saline bag during the week in order to preserve him for Sundays, all that missed practice time had to be worth something in lost chemistry. We could only speculate (even if it is something I specifically heard from inside the building) that this was a factor in deciding to move on from Mike. But now we've got another data point to suggest that, yeah, it probably was.

Back
Top Bottom