3ypc 1.12: Bobby Mccain, Jakeem Grant, Novelty Lighters, John Avery | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc 1.12: Bobby Mccain, Jakeem Grant, Novelty Lighters, John Avery

This is certainly not a complaint as I understand you guys cant please everyone, but I usually listen to podcasts while going and coming back from work, which is like a 30 minute ride... This with the fact I also listen to other podcasts, I like to be able listen to parts that are related to why im listening to it in the first place.

If most of your listeners like it that way, there's really no reason to change the format. Im going to make this suggestion, take it or leave it. Some podcasts I listen to have timestamps to help listeners to skip certain parts and get to the relevent content in a more convenient way.

I've considered doing that. Where do you normally like to see these time stamps?

I've considered doing that. Where do you normally like to see these time stamps?
Right under the episode description are usually where I find them... Doesnt need to be extra precise, for example, on the thinking poker podcast, they have a a strategy segment, and an interview segment, like you guys, they usually speak for 10-15 minutes about general stuff... Their Timestamps would look like: Intro, strategy, interview.... I mean it sounds like nothing but when I have a set amount of time to actually listen to the thing, it helps to have a general map of where specific content is located...

Right under the episode description are usually where I find them... Doesnt need to be extra precise, for example, on the thinking poker podcast, they have a a strategy segment, and an interview segment, like you guys, they usually speak for 10-15 minutes about general stuff... Their Timestamps would look like: Intro, strategy, interview.... I mean it sounds like nothing but when I have a set amount of time to actually listen to the thing, it helps to have a general map of where specific content is located...

I'll have a lot more time to do stuff like this in about three or four weeks but it's a good suggestion and something I've been considering for a while. Usually the episodes are uploaded and by Alf and he writes the description. I hate to put more on him, and in a month I may have more time to do those time stamps, but I'm also concerned that once you get the description up on iTunes or something, it just stays there and can't be edited.

I love the podcast and give it an A plus. It’s great for passionate fans. I have absolutely no problem with the length but to each their own. I like that podcasts can be long form unlike radio where there are hard breaks and so on. I enjoy that you complete your thoughts.

I will say, having known you guys from here for well over a decade, following your draft winds, and listening to your work as a guest on various podcasts (and I even recall your hit on NFLN), you guys are immensely likable. It’s because we all have the same interest. Your nuggets are the exact kinds of things I focus on, so what’s not to like?

I read this thread before I got a chance to listen this week. I sensed no real problem with Simon’s audio at all. I suppose, in theory, it could be clearer, but there’s no strain at all listening to him.

The comments about the intro and the reference to Lebatard’s show are not anything that I’d focus on, but I think this is the trickiest part of the show. I listen often to Lebatard in podcast form. But, he prides himself on being irreverent, developing “characters,” and he hates sports details like the plague, almost like he reluctantly realizes he’s on ESPN. I like his show, and get it. He’s exceptionally bright and has developed a tremendous show (other than its just too long; he has too much time to kill and some of the bits should probably be on the cutting room floor). I suspect he’d agree with me.

No knock on Lebatard, because he’s got a great niche. You see others mimic his routine and it proves how difficult it is to emulate. As an example, Hochman and Crowder’s show tries to balance culture with sports and it’s painful. Hochman, who used to work with Dan, is a nice guy who is well intentioned but he comes across as a nincompoop when he tries to do his Lebatard-Lite musings. It just doesn’t work.

As for this podcast, I could imagine Dan’s people are suggesting you guys be relatable and bring fun into it instead of making Dolphins talk seem grave, monotone, and serious. It’s football, which is fun. I think there’s truth to that, and I think it will work itself out organically. One difference is you guys are a 180 from Dan’s show in the sense that football minutiae may actually be discussed without pretending that’s something to be ashamed of. But, in the end, I find you guys extremely likable and have no doubt this aspect will be fine tuned.

Last edited:
I love the podcast and give it an A plus. It’s great for passionate fans. I have absolutely no problem with the length but to each their own. I like that podcasts can be long form unlike radio where there are hard breaks and so on. I enjoy that you complete your thoughts.

I will say, having known you guys from here for well over a decade, following your draft winds, and listening to your work as a guest on various podcasts (and I even recall your hit on NFLN), you guys are immensely likable. It’s because we all have the same interest. Your nuggets are the exact kinds of things I focus on, so what’s not to like?

I read this thread before I got a chance to listen this week. I sensed no real problem with Simon’s audio at all. I suppose, in theory, it could be clearer, but there’s no strain at all listening to him.

The comments about the intro and the reference to Lebatard’s show are not anything that I’d focus on, but I think this is the trickiest part of the show. I listen often to Lebatard in podcast form. But, he prides himself on being irreverent, developing “characters,” and he hates sports details like the plague, almost like he reluctantly realizes he’s on ESPN. I like his show, and get it. He’s exceptionally bright and has developed a tremendous show (other than its just too long; he has too much time to kill and some of the bits should probably be on the cutting room floor). I suspect he’d agree with me.

No knock on Lebatard, because he’s got a great niche. You see others mimic his routine and it proves how difficult it is to emulate. As an example, Hochman and Crowder’s show tries to balance culture with sports and it’s painful. Hochman, who used to work with Dan, is a nice guy who is well intentioned but he comes across as a nincompoop when he tries to do his Lebatard-Lite musings. It just doesn’t work.

As for this podcast, I could imagine Dan’s people are suggesting you guys be relatable and bring fun into it instead of making Dolphins talk seem grave, monotone, and serious. It’s football, which is fun. I think there’s truth to that, and I think it will work itself out organically. One difference is you guys are a 180 from Dan’s show in the sense that football minutiae may actually be discussed without pretending that’s something to be ashamed of. But, in the end, I find you guys extremely likable and have no doubt this aspect will be fine tuned.

Very good and very helpful review!

Personally and this is a bit embarrassing but I don't really listen to Le Batard. Absolutely respect him but I just haven't got the time. I'm balancing quite a bit between a full time career, post-graduate studies, wife and a four year old, now this podcast stuff, etc.

So I'm personally not in position to be trying to subconsciously or consciously model what I or we do after Lebby because I don't even know what they do, lol.

But I have heard from Alf, who worked for Le Batard, and from other people with 5 Reasons (some of whom also worked for Lebby) that it's a good idea to open the show light, irreverent, and work the audience into the show before you get into the "meat" of the show.

We had that suggestion from those people, but it also just sort of feels like the right thing to do. Feels intuitive.

In our case the meat of the show is stuff that, as you suggest, I'm sure Lebby would avoid like plague. But we're not embarrassed about that. We know that the people who come to listen are interested in that stuff.

We're here for the football nerds to give you football nerd stuff. If we can avoid making it sound like a paragraph with justified margins and no punctuation, we absolutely will do everything in our power to avoid that. But we're not going to dumb it down.

Last edited:
I understand what you're getting at but most of the feedback we've gotten with respect to the way we start the show is positive. We have some connections with the Dan Le Batard show and starting off the way we do is intentional, and subject to advice.

Editing ourselves and keeping things succinct will always be a constant battle.

I enjoy the banter at the beginning and throughout the show. The podcast sounds like some friends sitting around talking sports, minus the fluff. My only nitpick I can think of right now is Simons's sound quality. It's not bad, but maybe there's ways to improve it. I'm not sure what can be done about that given that he's overseas though.

I remember the late Neil Rogers used to broadcast shows from his home in Canada on an ISDN line when he lived there for awhile. Couldn't tell the difference. That's technology from over 15 years ago though. I'm guessing there's better and cheaper options available these days.

Back
Top Bottom