3ypc 1.9: Key Takes From Press Conferences | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc 1.9: Key Takes From Press Conferences

Finally got around to finishing it up yesterday, lots of good stuff in there. Seems like ballage is the hot ticket item with you guys, do I smell a friendly wager based on his production?

Finally got around to finishing it up yesterday, lots of good stuff in there. Seems like ballage is the hot ticket item with you guys, do I smell a friendly wager based on his production?

He's just Alf's guy. I would wager the under. I like the player. I have some specific visions for how he could contribute in a role similar to Robert Holcombe under Martz in 1999.

But,
  • He's a rookie, which means it's not just his first year in the offense, but his first year dealing with offenses and defenses this complex.
  • He continuously had trouble getting on the field at Arizona State despite his coming off so conscientious
  • He comes from a system that isn't going to give him any advantages translating over.
  • I think Adam Gase may be even more of a hard ass about screwing up plays in practice and training camp than he's ever been.
Remember how long it seemed it was before Kenyan Drake finally got a legit chance? And he came from Bama.

Episode 1.10 with any luck will touch on some issues revolving around Adam Gase's use/disuse of No Huddle. Also some interesting revelations about what happened behind the scenes with Ndamukong Suh.

BUT...the HEADLINER...

O.J. McDuffie will be on the upcoming show. He will co-host for the last half of the show. Releasing Thursday.

You're welcome! Sounds like a nice afternoon!

oh yeah it was a good afternoon, swing into the backyard bbq thread some time and youll see what kind of fun it is. I hope it is true about gileski already blocking Omar tho, would love that. pretty sure Omar has already crapped on him a couple times, well our entire draft but ....

once work levels back out ill have to catch up on all the podcast from old

There was a question about whether Miami's pass protection would hold up. Here are the analytics.

• Josh Sitton for his career is like the best pass protecting guard PFF has ever graded. He's stout, smart, savvy. He can drop anchor and the guy goes no further. This year he ranked #15 of 79 in pass block efficiency, #16 of 79 in pressure rate. In previous years he's done even far better than that.
  • Though Daniel Kilgore will sometimes have trouble with quickness, that will only come about when he's REALLY isolated, and otherwise he's a stout pass protector with good anchor for the position. He went through a bad stretch when the ROOKIE quarterback C.J. Beathard was in the games. He held the ball too long (PFF analytics corroborate), had bad pocket presence, and I imagine any coordination necessary between QB and C with the blocking calls probably suffered at times. Every single offensive linemen seemed to have worse pass protection metrics with C.J. Beathard under center. Kilgore was not alone. If you look at just the weeks where Daniel Kilgore was playing center for Brian Hoyer or Jimmy Garoppolo (Weeks 1-5; 13-17), Kilgore was #8 out of 38 in pressure rate.
  • For the full year, Jesse Davis was middle-of-the-pack in PFF's pass block efficiency statistic. But if you specifically looked at his stretch at Right Guard (Weeks 12-17) he was #30 of 86 in pressure rate, and #27 of 86 in the pass block efficiency stat. A lot of his issues in pass pro are chemistry related, picking up stunts and whatnot. Being able to focus on just one position should help that, and I would expect his pass pro ranking to go up even higher. Among Right Guards during that period in particular, he was #13 of 33 in pressure rate.
  • And should Ted Larsen win the battle, it's worth noting that for the time he played, Ted Larsen was middle-of-the-pack in pass block efficiency. It's not as if he were bottom of the barrel. I like Davis better particularly because with his size and strength, he can be more dominant particularly in pass pro.
  • And for all the consternation about Laremy Tunsil's pass blocking issues, among LEFT TACKLES he ranked #15 out of 35 in both pass block efficiency and pressure rate. It was his second year as a pro and first year playing left tackle in the pros. It was an alright first go at the position. My main nitpick with him was his tendency to get flagged, which happened 16 times.
  • As for Ja'Wuan James? For the weeks he played in (Weeks 2-9) he was #4 of 35 RIGHT TACKLES in pressure rate and #3 of 35 in pass block efficiency.
  • Worth noting that neither A.J. Derby (on 4 pass pro snaps) nor MarQueis Gray (on 9 pass pro snaps) allowed a single pressure in 2017.
  • As for Kenyan Drake, out of all the RBs that stayed in to protect at least 30 times, Drake was #4 of 43 in pass block efficiency and pressure rate.

There was a question about whether Miami's pass protection would hold up. Here are the analytics.

• Josh Sitton for his career is like the best pass protecting guard PFF has ever graded. He's stout, smart, savvy. He can drop anchor and the guy goes no further. This year he ranked #15 of 79 in pass block efficiency, #16 of 79 in pressure rate. In previous years he's done even far better than that.
  • Though Daniel Kilgore will sometimes have trouble with quickness, that will only come about when he's REALLY isolated, and otherwise he's a stout pass protector with good anchor for the position. He went through a bad stretch when the ROOKIE quarterback C.J. Beathard was in the games. He held the ball too long (PFF analytics corroborate), had bad pocket presence, and I imagine any coordination necessary between QB and C with the blocking calls probably suffered at times. Every single offensive linemen seemed to have worse pass protection metrics with C.J. Beathard under center. Kilgore was not alone. If you look at just the weeks where Daniel Kilgore was playing center for Brian Hoyer or Jimmy Garoppolo (Weeks 1-5; 13-17), Kilgore was #8 out of 38 in pressure rate.
  • For the full year, Jesse Davis was middle-of-the-pack in PFF's pass block efficiency statistic. But if you specifically looked at his stretch at Right Guard (Weeks 12-17) he was #30 of 86 in pressure rate, and #27 of 86 in the pass block efficiency stat. A lot of his issues in pass pro are chemistry related, picking up stunts and whatnot. Being able to focus on just one position should help that, and I would expect his pass pro ranking to go up even higher. Among Right Guards during that period in particular, he was #13 of 33 in pressure rate.
  • And should Ted Larsen win the battle, it's worth noting that for the time he played, Ted Larsen was middle-of-the-pack in pass block efficiency. It's not as if he were bottom of the barrel. I like Davis better particularly because with his size and strength, he can be more dominant particularly in pass pro.
  • And for all the consternation about Laremy Tunsil's pass blocking issues, among LEFT TACKLES he ranked #15 out of 35 in both pass block efficiency and pressure rate. It was his second year as a pro and first year playing left tackle in the pros. It was an alright first go at the position. My main nitpick with him was his tendency to get flagged, which happened 16 times.
  • As for Ja'Wuan James? For the weeks he played in (Weeks 2-9) he was #4 of 35 RIGHT TACKLES in pressure rate and #3 of 35 in pass block efficiency.
  • Worth noting that neither A.J. Derby (on 4 pass pro snaps) nor MarQueis Gray (on 9 pass pro snaps) allowed a single pressure in 2017.
  • As for Kenyan Drake, out of all the RBs that stayed in to protect at least 30 times, Drake was #4 of 43 in pass block efficiency and pressure rate.

All this makes me more optimistic.

I did a tweet storm on the above pass protection topic:

• Josh Sitton ranks #1 in pressure rate (allowed) out of all guards that have taken at least 250 pass pro snaps (about half a season's worth) in the last 5 years (169 players).
  • Daniel Kilgore if you look at Weeks 1-5 (Brian Hoyer at QB) and 13-17 (Jimmy Garoppolo at QB), Kilgore ranks #8 of 38 qualifying Centers in pressure rate. This involves stripping out the weeks of rookie C.J. Beathard playing QB, which you can justify since all of the 49ers OLs seemed to suffer the same in their pass pro metrics, and because other metrics make it clear Beathard was holding the ball far longer.
  • Ja'Wuan James ranked #4 of 35 qualifying RIGHT tackles in pressure rate while he played in 2017 (Weeks 2 through 9).
  • For all the crap he gets, Laremy Tunsil ranked #15 of 35 qualifying LEFT tackles in pressure rate during 2017. His biggest problem was a tendency to get flagged (12 times).
  • If you isolate the weeks where Jesse Davis played RIGHT guard for the Dolphins (Weeks 12-17), he ranked #13 of 36 in pressure rate among qualifying RIGHT guards.
  • As I said, if you count RBs that stayed in to block at least 30 times in 2017, Kenyan Drake ranks #4 of 43 in pressure rate allowed. He only allowed one pressure.
Injuries happen. A quarterback holding the football far too long happens. Failure to set protections correctly is something that happens. Receivers failing to get open is something that happens. Penalties and/or lack of run game creating lots of bad down & distance situations is something that happens. Bad play-calling happens.

However, setting aside those unknowns, the Dolphins have structured a good pass pro unit.

I did a tweet storm on the above pass protection topic:

• Josh Sitton ranks #1 in pressure rate (allowed) out of all guards that have taken at least 250 pass pro snaps (about half a season's worth) in the last 5 years (169 players).
  • Daniel Kilgore if you look at Weeks 1-5 (Brian Hoyer at QB) and 13-17 (Jimmy Garoppolo at QB), Kilgore ranks #8 of 38 qualifying Centers in pressure rate. This involves stripping out the weeks of rookie C.J. Beathard playing QB, which you can justify since all of the 49ers OLs seemed to suffer the same in their pass pro metrics, and because other metrics make it clear Beathard was holding the ball far longer.
  • Ja'Wuan James ranked #4 of 35 qualifying RIGHT tackles in pressure rate while he played in 2017 (Weeks 2 through 9).
  • For all the crap he gets, Laremy Tunsil ranked #15 of 35 qualifying LEFT tackles in pressure rate during 2017. His biggest problem was a tendency to get flagged (12 times).
  • If you isolate the weeks where Jesse Davis played RIGHT guard for the Dolphins (Weeks 12-17), he ranked #13 of 36 in pressure rate among qualifying RIGHT guards.
  • As I said, if you count RBs that stayed in to block at least 30 times in 2017, Kenyan Drake ranks #4 of 43 in pressure rate allowed. He only allowed one pressure.
Injuries happen. A quarterback holding the football far too long happens. Failure to set protections correctly is something that happens. Receivers failing to get open is something that happens. Penalties and/or lack of run game creating lots of bad down & distance situations is something that happens. Bad play-calling happens.

However, setting aside those unknowns, the Dolphins have structured a good pass pro unit.

It's gonna be nice to finally have an above average line. Thanks for you time.

I hope it is true about gileski already blocking Omar tho, would love that. pretty sure Omar has already crapped on him a couple times, well our entire draft but ....
Omar was crapping on all of the TEs today. 2nd day of OTAs.

By the way if you do the same thing with Jesse Davis that I did with Josh Sitton, broaden out to all guards and not just right guards, and look at the 169 qualifiers from the last 5 years, his pressure rate ranks #72 of 169. But I do find it relevant that he was grading better subjectively, and his pass pro metrics were also better, when he played right guard the final six games.

Jesse Davis is 6'6" & 321 lbs, has 34" arms and a 6'10" wing span. His 1.70 second 10 yard split has only ever been beaten by three guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Joel Bitonio, Kyle Long). His 9'0" broad jump is 84th percentile. His 30.5" vertical jump is 82nd percentile. His 7.41 cone drill has only ever been beaten by seven guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Dion Dawkins, David DeCastro, Cody Whitehair, Ali Marpet, Joel Bitonio, Isaac Seumalo).

This is a huge, strong, physically gifted player who went under the radar because he made a switch from defensive tackle to offensive line late in his college career. So you have a young player, still relatively new to OL play, who was in his first year of playing in NFL games, was already above average as a pass protector, and now he's getting older and more experienced.

Good job CK really enjoyed it. On the coaching changes.......Gase was unhappy with his coaches, we get that, but what exactly was he unhappy about to be so drastic.

By the way if you do the same thing with Jesse Davis that I did with Josh Sitton, broaden out to all guards and not just right guards, and look at the 169 qualifiers from the last 5 years, his pressure rate ranks #72 of 169. But I do find it relevant that he was grading better subjectively, and his pass pro metrics were also better, when he played right guard the final six games.

Jesse Davis is 6'6" & 321 lbs, has 34" arms and a 6'10" wing span. His 1.70 second 10 yard split has only ever been beaten by three guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Joel Bitonio, Kyle Long). His 9'0" broad jump is 84th percentile. His 30.5" vertical jump is 82nd percentile. His 7.41 cone drill has only ever been beaten by seven guards in the Mock Draftable database (Jeff Baca, Dion Dawkins, David DeCastro, Cody Whitehair, Ali Marpet, Joel Bitonio, Isaac Seumalo).

This is a huge, strong, physically gifted player who went under the radar because he made a switch from defensive tackle to offensive line late in his college career. So you have a young player, still relatively new to OL play, who was in his first year of playing in NFL games, was already above average as a pass protector, and now he's getting older and more experienced.

That last little tidbit about Jesse Davis switching positions in college is something I didn't know. Really that gives me way more confidence in his ability i didn't realize how raw he really was

He's just Alf's guy. I would wager the under. I like the player. I have some specific visions for how he could contribute in a role similar to Robert Holcombe under Martz in 1999.

But,
  • He's a rookie, which means it's not just his first year in the offense, but his first year dealing with offenses and defenses this complex.
  • He continuously had trouble getting on the field at Arizona State despite his coming off so conscientious
  • He comes from a system that isn't going to give him any advantages translating over.
  • I think Adam Gase may be even more of a hard *** about screwing up plays in practice and training camp than he's ever been.
Remember how long it seemed it was before Kenyan Drake finally got a legit chance? And he came from Bama.

Those are all valid points and for me the jury is still out on ballage I just knew Alf seemed to really stand behind him so I figured you guys could have a little fun with that is all. Love the podcast

Back
Top Bottom