3ypc 1.9: Key Takes From Press Conferences | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc 1.9: Key Takes From Press Conferences

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
We did an episode about this on the newest 3 Yards Per Carry.

Web: http://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/e/3ypc-draftees-coaches-press-episode-19/

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...s-episode-19-24b00f90dd1700f333f1ee8f1a4eedd1

Notes:
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick and Cornell Armstrong both revealed that the Miami defense is "the same exact defense" as what they played in college. That may seem confusing since, obviously, Miami's Wide-9 front does not look anything like Alabama's odd front defense. We explain.
  • Adam Gase may have inadvertently revealed how he really felt things went with Brock Osweiler back in Denver, and I don't think it was good.
  • Why is Adam Gase comfortable with David Fales as his primary backup? Because he's done it before.
  • Who is really to blame for Gase having to abandon No Huddle after the first three games of 2016? Dowell Loggains accidentally revealed this.
  • T.J. McDonald is not moving to linebacker.
  • Kenny Stills is one of the most productive slot players there has been in the NFL, per Gase (and me).
  • Not a "big swing" in talent going from Mike Pouncey and Jarvis Landry to Daniel Kilgore and Danny Amendola. Just ask Gase. And Dowell Loggains flat out states the interior with Sitton and Kilgore is better than a year ago, despite losing Pouncey.
  • Dowell Loggains has a surprising number of connections to the existing staff.
  • Gase was CLEARLY unhappy with the members of the coaching staff that are no longer here.
  • Bill Barnwell is an idiot.
  • What will they be doing with Mike Gesicki, specifically, and which player from Gase's past is Adam most comparing him to as he figures this out? There's a specific player, and it has implications.
  • Is Adam Gase's "style" as a coach bleeding over to the defense, to where you can truly say all sides of the ball are quintessentially his?

Great episode! You guys do a super job, very entertaining and lots of cool info about this rookie class. I think this is a amazing draft. These kids still have to go out and prove it but I'm thinking that they will.

yeah the whole coaching staff thing was clear. I had heard rumblings that there was a lot of discontent between what Burke wanted to do and what Anarumo did as a secondary coach. Terrelle Williams was (quite frankly) an awful DL coach (awful may be strong but he was absolutely a huge downgrade from what we saw from Kacey Rodgers). The OL issues were clear with the Foerster issues (also a bit of a mediocre coach), and I know that Gase was very upset privately about Danny Barrett's group when it came to knowing their assignments (or even executing)

Has there ever been a wider gap between Vegas and fan expectation?

I think we'll surprise compared to being top 5 pick bad. I could easily see the offense being solid enough to get into the playoffs. question is defensively. Not calling playoffs yet, but I don't think people realize how bad the chemistry ended up being last year for various reasons

These new position coaches is what I am pinning more of my hopes for a winning season this year more than anything else.
To many articles and or posts throwing the players under the bus for failure on the field. IMO thats a reflection of coaching more than players. Its also telling me that Gase is not up to the job by himself so I am glad he got himself help.

We did an episode about this on the newest 3 Yards Per Carry.

Web: http://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/e/3ypc-draftees-coaches-press-episode-19/

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2#episodeGuid=ThreeYardsPerCarry.podbean.com/3ypc-draftees-coaches-press-episode-19-24b00f90dd1700f333f1ee8f1a4eedd1

Notes:
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick and Cornell Armstrong both revealed that the Miami defense is "the same exact defense" as what they played in college. That may seem confusing since, obviously, Miami's Wide-9 front does not look anything like Alabama's odd front defense. We explain.
  • Adam Gase may have inadvertently revealed how he really felt things went with Brock Osweiler back in Denver, and I don't think it was good.
  • Why is Adam Gase comfortable with David Fales as his primary backup? Because he's done it before.
  • Who is really to blame for Gase having to abandon No Huddle after the first three games of 2016? Dowell Loggains accidentally revealed this.
  • T.J. McDonald is not moving to linebacker.
  • Kenny Stills is one of the most productive slot players there has been in the NFL, per Gase (and me).
  • Not a "big swing" in talent going from Mike Pouncey and Jarvis Landry to Daniel Kilgore and Danny Amendola. Just ask Gase. And Dowell Loggains flat out states the interior with Sitton and Kilgore is better than a year ago, despite losing Pouncey.
  • Dowell Loggains has a surprising number of connections to the existing staff.
  • Gase was CLEARLY unhappy with the members of the coaching staff that are no longer here.
  • Bill Barnwell is an idiot.
  • What will they be doing with Mike Gesicki, specifically, and which player from Gase's past is Adam most comparing him to as he figures this out? There's a specific player, and it has implications.
  • Is Adam Gase's "style" as a coach bleeding over to the defense, to where you can truly say all sides of the ball are quintessentially his?

Very professional and entertaining podcast. You guys have very good chemistry. I might need to start a Ballage drinking game.

Last edited:
Great podcast. so funny to hear CKP complain about an ESPN guy throw shade at the Phins, Damn I wish ESPN would stay in their
awful, clueless lane.

latest

The offense is filled with players that are in their 3rd year operating it.

Ryan Tannehill and David Fales at QB. Kenyan Drake at RB. MarQueis Gray at TE. Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, and Jakeem Grant at WR. Laremy Tunsil, Ja'Wuan James, and Sam Young on the OL.

Guys like A.J. Derby, Jesse James, and Ted Larsen are in their second years in the offense, and they should not be any kind of issue that way, either.

That's a pretty big core of guys who should be so familiar with the offense that running No Huddle shouldn't be a problem.

And there's a reason they had a very distinct focus with respect to the newcomers and their all being widely known and recognized as intelligent veterans. Frank Gore, Josh Sitton, Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola, Daniel Kilgore, all of those guys are experienced veterans that (unlike, for example, Lawrence Timmons) are known to be very brainy.

The guys that will need to work hardest are Mike Gesicki, Durham Smythe, and Kalen Ballage. Rookies coming from college, trying to learn a new system, trying to run No Huddle...could be bad for them. The good thing is Miami aren't under a lot of pressure to use them when they want to go No Huddle. They have enough options outside of those to still put together a compelling No Huddle offense. When those rookies are in the game they can make sure they slow things up and have everyone on the same page.

I wouldn't be surprised if Durham Smythe quickly gets a reputation for being a player that "gets it" though. Every scouting report I've read of his that did enough background to know about some of the intangibles used the word "intelligent" front and center in the description. It was one of the first words the Dolphins scouting department put in their scouting blurb that they send up the ladder to the higher-ups like Grier and Tannenbaum. Not that Mike Gesicki and Kalen Ballage are meatheads. They're both thoughtful players as well. But coming from Notre Dame and the multiple systems they've had, especially some of them using lots of pro concepts, I wouldn't be surprised if Durham Smythe is picking things up more quickly from a mental standpoint.

It’s strange to hear an English accent breaking down the American football and the Dolphins (I think his name was Simon) however his insight was right on.

Back
Top Bottom