3ypc-(kris Richard-coach Search) Episode 1.56 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc-(kris Richard-coach Search) Episode 1.56

Carroll is a strange guy. Different person from the days of making choking gestures at opposing kickers. Just throwing spitballs, but I would hazard a guess that he had some kind of transformative experience in his personal life.

Agreed. He's pretty zen now. You hear about all the new age-y stuff he does in Seattle and you figure California rubbed off on him in a big way. The pressers are completely different when compared to his Jets days.

I never cared about Seattle before but I kind of root for them now. I dig the defense and fans and QB ... and apparently coach. He's done a hell of a job there minus one insane play call they still haven't recovered from.

Think you got confused. Let me clarify a bit because maybe we mucked it up.

I have a TEAM source who told me that Flores's interview didn't blow anyone away. Adam Beasley's source disagrees with that. His source says Grier among others was "very impressed" with the interview.

Simon has a FRIEND, who is an avid Patriots fan, and also somewhat connected (with the Patriots), who says that Brian Flores "isn't ready".

The two things have nothing to do with one another.

The point I tried to make is, forget Simon's friend the Patriots fan. THE PATRIOTS THEMSELVES decided Brian Flores "wasn't ready" even for a DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR job (let alone head coach job) one year ago. I mean that's just a fact. They flat out refused to bestow upon Flores the defensive coordinator title. They kept it open in case someone better comes along.

Wouldn't read too much into it - Belicheck was handled the same way with Parcells and he does it with people he really believes in (Flores). I've heard that from two people who played for Belicheck.

Look, I will be happy with either Richard or Flores but I am tending to lean towards Flores. He's got a persona that players will still connect with after 5 years, not just 1 year.

As for the split between Kris Richard and Pete Carroll...

Listen, we're trying hard not to betray anyone's trust.

Let's just say...Cliff Avril got the story from God. He read it in the Bible. We called in a favor with Cliff Avril, and so Cliff Avril rode the elevator to heaven, waited outside God's office, got buzzed in, and got the story.

The point of the 'explanation' was that nothing actually happened between Carroll and Richard. They love each other. Nor did anything weird or illegal or immoral or unscrupulous or whatever your imagination can come up with happen, to where Richard had to be ushered quickly out of the building. Nor was there a "difference of philosophy" which various bullsh-t articles have been trying to peddle for a while.

There was a decision, a mutual decision, which means both sides agreed, that Kris Richard wasn't going to be taken as seriously as he should be, given as much credit as he should be, wasn't going to get a head coaching opportunity, unless he steps out of Pete Carroll's shadow and structure. He had been Pete Carroll's longest-tenured assistant, and Carroll said if you want to be a head coach you've got to get out of here and do this somewhere else because until then everyone's going to keep attributing your successes to someone else.

Good coordinators are so valuable that one can easily IMAGINE that such a decision might be...frowned upon...by selfishly interested people who think you should do everything you can to keep a good coach working for you.
Interesting. I wonder then if "fired" was the way to go? Couldn't he have simply stepped down? It brings an entirely different connotation when someone is fired from a job and doesn't seem to support the purpose of furthering Richard's career. Bottom line, I know a lot of good coaches are fired in the NFL. It's part of the job that any coach has to have thick skin about.

Agreed. He's pretty zen now. You hear about all the new age-y stuff he does in Seattle and you figure California rubbed off on him in a big way. The pressers are completely different when compared to his Jets days.

I never cared about Seattle before but I kind of root for them now. I dig the defense and fans and QB ... and apparently coach. He's done a hell of a job there minus one insane play call they still haven't recovered from.
I guess age can do that. Carroll was very young when he started in the coaching profession.

Interesting. I wonder then if "fired" was the way to go? Couldn't he have simply stepped down? It brings an entirely different connotation when someone is fired from a job and doesn't seem to support the purpose of furthering Richard's career. Bottom line, I know a lot of good coaches are fired in the NFL. It's part of the job that any coach has to have thick skin about.

The way NFL firings work is: If you fire a coach, he keeps collecting his checks and you no longer have his coaching rights. If he resigns, he stops collecting his checks AND he can't actually go get another job without asking permission.

The way NFL firings work is: If you fire a coach, he keeps collecting his checks and you no longer have his coaching rights. If he resigns, he stops collecting his checks AND he can't actually go get another job without asking permission.
The Seahawks let Richard out of his contract.

Garrett should've been fired years ago. I'd be surprised if Jones finally pulls the trigger after a playoff run.

Plus Richard doesn't seem like the type to be Jones' marionette, as required.

I'm really worried Cowboys will fire Garrett to keep Richard.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-jason-garrett-should-be-fired-no-matter-what-11455605

Almost to a man, Cowboy fans want Garrett fired to keep Richard. Question is if Jerry would do it.

Jerry Jones loves the guy, apparently. Had the Cowboys missed the playoffs, he’d be their head coach right now.

I think what we need is for Dallas to be competitive with the Rams this weekend, or even better, win. Rumors are swirling out here that Bob McNair’s death has shook him up a little and he’s worried about dying before winning a championship. I think a successful playoff run will goad Jerry into keeping Garrett another year or 2, which would open up the opportunity for Richard to come to Miami. But if they get blown out, Jerry might feel that Garrett can’t hang with the big dogs and make the switch.

This is the most important playoff game the Dolphins have been a part of in decades lol

Carroll is a strange guy. Different person from the days of making choking gestures at opposing kickers. Just throwing spitballs, but I would hazard a guess that he had some kind of transformative experience in his personal life.

Probably when he discovered that 9/11 was faked.

I think whatever happened, he wasnt fired for production, because quite honestly, they didnt do that bad his final year. They had trouble against the run but still ended up 6th vs the pass. I'll take that any day of the week considering the injuries.

And it really doesnt appear to be because of the players.

With those 2 assumptions in mind, I dont think it really matters to the Fins situation.
That sounds more likely. From what I can glean, something that Richard may have done might have ticked off Carroll. But in the end, whatever it was, either Carroll got over it or he and Richard worked through it, because I can't see how Grier makes him our top choice without Pete Carroll's endorsement. I'm comfortable with the guy, because whatever the problem was, he addressed it somehow and won Carroll back over. Still …. I'd like to know what really happened.

Another great episode for CK, Simon and Alf. Thanks!

But, I'm not buying Cliff Avril's ultra-positive spin on the Kris Richard firing. I'm OK with it happening, because I'm confident that Chris Grier knows the truth. I agree with CK that the only reason we look so intently at Kris Richard above the other candidates is because Chris Grier is close with Pete Carroll, and Carroll thinks highly of him and put in a good word. But I'm calling BS on Cliff Avril's take on how it was a mutual decision and how it was to help Richard spread his wings. Something happened, and either Avril is not privy to it, or Avril is covering it up.
I had browsed Seahawks forums and I came back with nothing. It seems like there was smoke there but nobody can figure it out. It is strange but a few things I heard were...
- Carroll felt like he blitzed to much (which he didnt). Not Pete's style and Richard seemed to accept that

- they felt his players coach mentality made him an easy target for Sherman and the other outspoken players. This worsened as it became clear the defense grew tire of Carroll's message and coaching

- The other side is Richard had actually been to close with the players and sided with them against Carroll as the defense slipped

- most think he was capegoated for Carroll to save face by "changing the guard". Although the defense was not the dominant force due to injuries and tougher focus on, Richard was seen as the fall guy and removed from his position so Carroll could bring in someone else to fix it.

- With all that said he was well liked by fans and players. They all felt like he would succeed without the LOB. Most did feel as though he would end up a head coach one day.

Whatever happened with Carroll must have stemmed from a philosophy standpoint. Watching the cowboys he does seem to be a very aggressive coach with blitzes. But I think Carroll's stubborn ways ran him out

I’m not worried about the Cowboys retaining Richard. They invited Ross to attend and Garrett is The Big Boss’ Boy.

The question is whether they recognize him as the best candidate.
I’m rooting for a Dallas loss and Pats win this weekend. It can’t hurt.
I don’t see how Flores is qualified. He is a positional coach at best.

I find it interesting that all of the discussion re the coaching prospects centers around Kris Richard and Brian Flores. New Orleans Defensive Coordinator, Dennis Allen was also interviewed by the Dolphins (and immediately dismissed as a candidate based on his abysmal win record when he held the Head Coaching role at Oakland). What people are not looking at is the terrific improvement in the Saints Defense this season. In fact the improvement in the Saints Defense is probably the biggest reason why the Saints finished the season on top in the NFC. Believe it or not, Allen probably has better credentials for the job than Brian Flores.
I still think that Kris Richard is the best candidate but the one people are not looking at may be Dennis Allen.

Back
Top Bottom