3ypc-(udfa-street Fa Preview) Episode 2.73 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3ypc-(udfa-street Fa Preview) Episode 2.73

First, that is not what was implied at all, Al literally said he loves the Wilkins pick. Second, welcome to the way of a terrible franchise, selecting each round based on pure need. Third, one 2nd round pick, while picking up another the next year, makes this franchise go from having a plan to not having a plan and having no clue what they are doing?

Like I said, its a ridiculous thought.
It is what was implied - Wilkins was BPA but he was expecting a position of need, and using the second rounder on Rosen also meant we couldn't draft a player in a position of need.

I don't agree with it, but that was the suggestion being made. I would imagine that most people would have expected us to roll with Fitzpatrick and Godchaux/Taylor/Spence and address the needs at DE/OL/CB.

The idea that the trade for Rosen and us not taking a DB or premier edge rusher shows we had no plan is a ridiculous thought. The plan is to shed bad contracts and get as much draft capital as possible, whether its young players or draft picks. With the Rosen trade, we had two picks in the top 4 rounds. Al seems like hes ready to jump off the ledge because it didnt go the way he thought....

I agree. I didn't listen to this one because Alf made so many ridiculous comments the last time. He has no concept of making astute choices as each round and situation occur, whether or not they seemingly link to each other. The fact that they are sound long range choices is what links them to each other, in far superior fashion to anything we've had lately.

Here, I'll link to one of the sharpest guys on one of the best draft forums. He is a Patriots fan so hardly biased toward the Dolphins. He does this every year, ranking each team's draft first to last in the week or two later. I knew he would summarize like this because he always understands the concept of value:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/...9-titans-at-5/?do=findComment&comment=1814382

"Favorite Pick
Josh Rosen (Trade) – Literally the smartest move any team made during draft weekend was Chris Grier squeezing Steve Keim, who had tanked the stock of Rosen for no good reason, by trading back and picking up a 2nd rounder for next year and then pulling the trigger for his man. Say what you like about Rosen, but the Dolphins get to pay him 6m for the rest of his deal which is so far under market value it’s insane. If you’re rebuilding a roster from the ground-up, which Grier wants to do, that’s a dream scenario. The 2nd round price tag also isn’t a heavy commitment should things go south, or opportunities to upgrade arise. The fact that the latter might now not be on the table in year one of the rebuild is incredible for them.

As for Rosen himself, landed in an awful spot last year playing behind an offensive line which was shot and for a coordinator who had baffled everyone with an insanely thick playbook. He probably needs a good line to function well and might not get that again here in Miami, but he was a top ten pick only last year for a reason and has had way too much criticism thrown his way for that to be fair. I’d love to see it work out for him in a way that still ensures the Pats winning the division for the foreseeable.

Overview
It’s year one of the big Miami re-build and whilst they’ve committed to not contending for a while, it looks like they’ve also managed to install some important building blocks for the future. There’s going a focus on attaining draft capital and there’s going to be a big focus on the culture of the team, which started with the new head coach appointment and you can see that influence on their draft. The fact they've come out of this draft with a potential franchise quarterback who is going to cost them 6m per is going to be absolutely huge to their rebuild if he can prove he's worth keeping around. How you feel about Rosen probably dictates how you feel about this draft, he was my number one quarterback in last year's class and the idea the book is written on him after year one in a bad spot is bizarre."

It is what was implied - Wilkins was BPA but he was expecting a position of need, and using the second rounder on Rosen also meant we couldn't draft a player in a position of need.

I don't agree with it, but that was the suggestion being made. I would imagine that most people would have expected us to roll with Fitzpatrick and Godchaux/Taylor/Spence and address the needs at DE/OL/CB.

Okay, if that was implied, then its still a ridiculous thought. Could make the case we have position need at 0 tech, 5 tech, OCB, ILB, 6 tech/OLB/Pass rusher, LG, C, RG, RT, RB, WR, aaaaand QB. You can make a case for allllll those being needs. The fact is, Miami didn't do exactly like Alf wanted, and now all the sudden "Miami doesnt have a plan"...dumb

Okay, if that was implied, then its still a ridiculous thought. Could make the case we have position need at 0 tech, 5 tech, OCB, ILB, 6 tech/OLB/Pass rusher, LG, C, RG, RT, RB, WR, aaaaand QB. You can make a case for allllll those being needs. The fact is, Miami didn't do exactly like Alf wanted, and now all the sudden "Miami doesnt have a plan"...dumb
Yeah I do agree with you, I think we're just arguing over semantics. I have to admit the three areas I was expecting to be addressed, that I considered the biggest areas of need, were DE, OL and CB, but the way the draft played out meant that it didn't fall that way, and I agree that doesn't mean there isn't a plan. Our plan had to change, or evolve.

Yeah I do agree with you, I think we're just arguing over semantics. I have to admit the three areas I was expecting to be addressed, that I considered the biggest areas of need, were DE, OL and CB, but the way the draft played out meant that it didn't fall that way, and I agree that doesn't mean there isn't a plan. Our plan had to change, or evolve.
No doubt. And I am fine with anyone saying it wasn't a good draft, especially if they didnt like the Rosen trade, if that is your opinion. Im just saying, dont miscategorize it, after you(not you specifically) blatantly said you loved the Wilkins pick, when he was a major need as well.

No doubt. And I am fine with anyone saying it wasn't a good draft, especially if they didnt like the Rosen trade, if that is your opinion. Im just saying, dont miscategorize it, after you(not you specifically) blatantly said you loved the Wilkins pick, when he was a major need as well.

Team enters draft with tons of needs and not much draft capital, just about everyone was aware of that going in.. no way we were leaving this draft without many glaring roster deficiencies.

It doesn’t matter how you play it out or what plan you may have had going in the way I see it.

I think they either showcase him and trade him or let him walk for the compensatory pick.
That's assuming he has a big contract on the way. Ideally he has a big year but otherwise I can't see him getting paid very much

Hum so looks like everybody's got a opinion. It's going to be interesting to see if Alf or Awsi Dooger winner here in the evaluation of the Dolphins. I personally hope Dooger ends up being correct but lean in Alfs evaluation of the process so far. I see long shots written all over this team and we are hoping we have landed a Billicheat as head coach. Long shots again if you ask me. But for a fan who goes back to the Killer Bees and Don Shula I am tired of the constant churn of this roster. Something that used to separate the Dolphins from the rest of the NFL.

How dare Alf say that 90% of the fan base would be on the Rosen train at 6-10.

Back
Top Bottom