4-3 vs. 3-4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4-3 vs. 3-4

hope

Practice Squad
Reaction score
2 Part question:
IYO, which formation has proven to be the better of the two? Does anyone know y our philosophy is to run the 4-3?

Did Larry Chester have a great deal of success with the Panthers before signing with the fins?

:yell:

go to this thread here and read up about what style of D we play.link

It's a real informative thread and it might help with your questions.

I'll just make this simple:

4-3=Good
3-4=Bad

If you look at the players we have, you will realize why we run a 4-3. Our LBs and DEs are too small for a 3-4.

From what I've heard...

Base 3-4 is fundamentally weaker against running up the middle. It's advantage is another linebacker(better coverage, better outside the tackles running), and it's easier to hide schemes and whatnot. If you're asking about the Patriots, I dont expect much out of them. They've seemingly gone through a ridiculous amount of different people at NT, an important position. The extra linebacker they are adding, Colvin, is at best average at everything besides pass rushing. So what they Patriots are running is basically the 3-3. :banana:

The 4-3 is just less flexible, and better against up them middle runs. We dont really have the people to run the 3-4(We need 3 big DT type linemen instead of 2 dt's and 2 de's, and we need bigger linebackers.

For our D 3-4 is not a good defense to run because of the personel that we have, But look at Atlanta They switched to 3-4 last year and got the right personel to run it, and there defense had a pretty decent year considering it was the first time they ran it. So 3-4 is not a bad scheme but it depends on the philosphy of the Defensive Cordinator and the players you have on the field

Atlanta ran it because of Wade Philips. He's one of the reasons Buffalo ran it and was pretty good at it. Thank god he's gone because their new coach is an idiot. You do need the right personel though. Big ILB's and very fast OLB's make up for the lack of beef up front in a 3-4. I don't think either way is better, it's all about who your players are. A good coach adjusts. Hell, the best defense ever was the 1985 Chicago Bears 46 D.

I think Miami could run it if they wanted.. what I would do is move jt to lb.. have bowens, chester and znognia (sp) then have jt and seau/ogun as outside lb's and zach and moore/greeenwood in the middle..
But our d seems to be pretty good as it is so I wouldn't change it right now.

I think 4-3 works better with our philosophy because we got pass rushes in the D-Line....
So keep it that way

We won't be running the 3-4 any time soon.

Ozzy rules!!

Do yall think JT will get more sacks than last year this year? Maybe defensive player of the year...

I like the 3-4 better b/c it just more flexible. And as the league focuses more on passing and less on running its weakness will be less pronounced. I expect that more teams will switch to the 3-4 in the coming years. BTW this should be good news for Miami b/c with RW we should maintain a strong inside running game. Also it lessens competition for players that fit 4-3 better.

Miami runs a 4-3 b/c Wanny is a former d-lineman. That's the D he favors. If there is one position he excels at drafting its DL. Since both JJ and Wanny favor the 4-3 we have filled our roster with players more suited for the 4-3.

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
I think Miami could run it if they wanted.. what I would do is move jt to lb.. have bowens, chester and znognia (sp) then have jt and seau/ogun as outside lb's and zach and moore/greeenwood in the middle..
But our d seems to be pretty good as it is so I wouldn't change it right now.

Well I agree with your last paragraph. However, if we did run a 3-4 , IMHO it would work better as:-

DE - Ogun
DT- Bowens/Chester
DE- Williams/Zgonina

OLB-JT
ILB-Thomas
ILB-Seau
OLB-Moore/Greenwood

Originally posted by phinphan

Well I agree with your last paragraph. However, if we did run a 3-4 , IMHO it would work better as:-

DE - Ogun
DT- Bowens/Chester
DE- Williams/Zgonina

OLB-JT
ILB-Thomas
ILB-Seau
OLB-Moore/Greenwood

I guess your dline would be better. But I would still like to see Seau on the OLB... I think he has very good pass russing skill and he is good size.

Originally posted by gottahavefootba

I guess your dline would be better. But I would still like to see Seau on the OLB... I think he has very good pass russing skill and he is good size.

I put Junior on the inside, because I think that he could provide a pass rush equally well from the middle. I also think that he has a better make up for ILB in the 3-4 at this stage in his career. However, your point is taken, and it is more that I think Greenwood/Moore would be more effective on the outside than they could be inside. In Junior's case, I would be happy with him at any LB spot.

I think that both Greenwood and Moore could do well in the OLB spot, but they may be liabilities inside.

Back
Top Bottom