40 times for the best backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

40 times for the best backs

fins_rock

Scout Team
Reaction score
We all know you can't be run the 40 like Tim Bowens to be an elite NFL back, but how much does it really matter?

What did the follow guys post at the combine?:

Jerome Bettis
Priest Holmes
E. James
Mike Alstot
Ricky W.
Emitt Smith
Curtis Martin
JJ Johnson......ooh I know 4.9 :cry:

Theres been so many similar threads on this, try looking back.

Everybody seems hung up on a RBs running a 4.4 40, and they keep posting threads about Benson running 4.5-4.6...over and over again and Ronnie Brown running anywhere from 4.3 to 4.48..Who cares. Benson is the best RB in the draft.

fins_rock said:
Everybody seems hung up on a RBs running a 4.4 40, and they keep posting threads about Benson running 4.5-4.6...over and over again and Ronnie Brown running anywhere from 4.3 to 4.48..Who cares. Benson is the best RB in the draft.

Okay? Thanks Mel Kiper?

I know emmitt ran the 40 slower than Benson. but i dont know the time... and i dont really care cause BEnson wont have 1/2 of emmitt smith's career IMO.

40 yard dash times are ******ed to put so much stock in... more examples...

"Should NFL scouts even care about the 40 to the tenths' place? Read this excellent article by Kathleen Nelson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. She notes that before the 1990 draft, Jersey/B was thinking of taking somebody named Emmitt Smith. Then the Jets saw Smith's 40 time was 4.7, while Blair Thomas ran a 4.45; Jersey/B took Thomas, a bust, and left the NFL's all-time leading rusher for the Cowboys to select. Nelson notes that last year, receiver Anquan Boldin was dissed by scouts and fell to the second round of the draft owing to his 4.7; all Boldin did was catch 101 passes and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. "

fins_rock said:

:yeahthat:

Thats what I keep on saying.

Void said:
40 yard dash times are ******ed to put so much stock in... more examples...

"Should NFL scouts even care about the 40 to the tenths' place? Read this excellent article by Kathleen Nelson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. She notes that before the 1990 draft, Jersey/B was thinking of taking somebody named Emmitt Smith. Then the Jets saw Smith's 40 time was 4.7, while Blair Thomas ran a 4.45; Jersey/B took Thomas, a bust, and left the NFL's all-time leading rusher for the Cowboys to select. Nelson notes that last year, receiver Anquan Boldin was dissed by scouts and fell to the second round of the draft owing to his 4.7; all Boldin did was catch 101 passes and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. "

Vision is the best measurable a RB can have IMO.Speed is nice,but being able to see the field and read your blockers is just as important as speed to be a good NFL RB...........

fins_rock said:
We all know you can't be run the 40 like Tim Bowens to be an elite NFL back, but how much does it really matter?
Maurice Clarrett would beg to differ :lol:

fintimtc said:
Vision is the best measurable a RB can have IMO.Speed is nice,but being able to see the field and read your blockers is just as important as speed to be a good NFL RB...........

Thats what I keep saying!!:yeahthat:

That is why I want Caddy so badly!

I agree with HVACservice... 0.15 seconds is apparently the difference between Braylon Edwards being fast and Mike Williams slow.

IMO opinion, the 40 is a useless gauge unless a player runs slower than 4.6. Anything worse than 4.6 is not good for the NFL in this day in age.

Back
Top Bottom