40 times for the best backs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

40 times for the best backs

fins_rock said:
Everybody seems hung up on a RBs running a 4.4 40, and they keep posting threads about Benson running 4.5-4.6...over and over again and Ronnie Brown running anywhere from 4.3 to 4.48..Who cares. Benson is the best RB in the draft.

Benson may be the most used back in the draft....but he's not the best back. Guy's like Benson burn out early why because all they can do is bang....bang....bang....there's only so many bang's in a body....guy's like Martin, Priest Holmes, Emmitt, Sanders....last longer because they avoid those bangs....and run another day. Benson has only one speed....he has no kick...no second gear....he's not a home run runner, thats why he's dropping...and he'll be lucky to be selected with the 8th pick.

knight6jb said:
Thats what I keep saying!!:yeahthat:

That is why I want Caddy so badly!

Agreed Knight.I have had Caddy as the best RB in this class for some time now.I know he gets the size knock,but if you watch him run he is like LT in that he never really gets leveled when he is being tackled.

fins_rock said:
We all know you can't be run the 40 like Tim Bowens to be an elite NFL back, but how much does it really matter?

What did the follow guys post at the combine?:

Jerome Bettis
Priest Holmes
E. James
Mike Alstot
Ricky W.
Emitt Smith
Curtis Martin
JJ Johnson......ooh I know 4.9 :cry:

Corner backs 40 times is more significant than a RB. Take D. Sanders. He was great because of his closing ability. Emmitt 40 times was 4.65 but his vision, low center of gravity and of course a outstanding Oline made him great.

Running backs: Take the 40 time and subtract .5 from it. Take that number and compare it to the Short Shuttle. They should be very close, or the Short shuttle should be less (faster). This is the problem I see, athletically, with Benson. At his pro-day he ran a 4.62 40. Subtract .5 and you get 4.1. His shuttle time is 4.3. I would put a warning flag on those numbers. To compare, Darren Sproles ran a 4.47 40 and a 3.96 shuttle.

finsnchips said:
I agree with HVACservice... 0.15 seconds is apparently the difference between Braylon Edwards being fast and Mike Williams slow.

Its the difference between a diving, finger tip catch..... and an incompletion.

Its the difference between the Rams or Titans winning the Super Bowl in 1999.

Its the difference between getting "horse collared" by the Free Safety after a 13 yard gain.....

Or being just outside that Free Safety`s grasp and taking it 81 yards to the house.

C` mon Fish, just because we had to drive a stake in the ground next to Mike Williams to see if he was running ....it was no big deal.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom