49'ers/Chargers talking trade!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

49'ers/Chargers talking trade!!!!

Are we absolutely sure it is a WR they want? I don't know why, and I admit it is a stretch, but I have a funny feeling this has to do with "Hometown" boy Alex Smith. By trading Rivers they need a backup QB. I know they are giving up another pick, but maybe they are so determined to get Smith that they are trying to get ahead of us.

I hope not.

3 1st round picks is too many for one team! thats just being greedy!

Could you imagine if the chargers traded with niners, then traded down and let vikings have #1 (to get Braylon) for #7 and #18?

Then the Chargers would have picks #7, #12, #18, #28. That would be crazy. They would be stacked next year. But, hopefully that won't happen. Very small chance.

49ers | No Truth to Chargers Trade Rumor - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:59:31 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports a San Francisco 49ers team spokesman denied the speculation that there have been trade talks with the San Diego Chargers involving the team's No. 1 overall draft pick. The rumor had the 49ers sending the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to the Chargers for QB Philip Rivers, who was the fourth overall selection last year.

so much for that

UCFinfan said:

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports a San Francisco 49ers team spokesman denied the speculation that there have been trade talks with the San Diego Chargers involving the team's No. 1 overall draft pick. The rumor had the 49ers sending the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to the Chargers for QB Philip Rivers, who was the fourth overall selection last year.

so much for that
They wouldn't admit anything, because they would then give Miami the power to wheel and deal. They are playing there poker hand, just like us, keep them guessing!

UCFinfan said:
Could you imagine if the chargers traded with niners, then traded down and let vikings have #1 (to get Braylon) for #7 and #18?

Then the Chargers would have picks #7, #12, #18, #28. That would be crazy. They would be stacked next year. But, hopefully that won't happen. Very small chance.

They couldn't pull it off. There is a "rookie cap" as well as the salary cap. 4 1st rounders would chew that up in a heart beat. Not to mention what those four first round contracts would look like in about four years...

Think less Madden and more real NFL...

Hopefully we'll try to get in on the Philip Rivers-sweepstakes and offer our top pick and Patrick Surtain in return for Rivers and the 12th overall pick. If we made such a trade we could land Rivers and take somebody like Alex Barron or Antrel Rolle with the 12th pick. Heck, maybe one of the top three RBs will slip to the 12th pick. Or we could try to move up from the 12th slot into the top ten in order to take one of the top RBs. I think it's rather likely that one of the top RBs will fall to the 7th slot, and it wouldn't take an arm and a leg to move up from 12th to 7th (12th pick + next year's 2nd and 3rd round picks? It'd be worth it for Brown or Williams. It's worth noting that Minnesota, the current owner of the 7th overall pick, already has two first-round picks, so I think they would definitely consider moving out of the top ten if they were given two first-day picks next year and feel they can still get a solid player at #12).

I'd love to somehow obtain Rivers and Ronnie Brown or Carnell Williams.

UCFinfan said:

so much for that

And you actually believe that? :rolleyes:

The Chargers would have to give up one of there 1st rounders also. Rivers for the #1 pick is screwing the niners over. I hope they take Edwards because I dont want us to even have the option of taking him. Plus I dont think they would have to trade up that far for Williams.

finz99 said:
I could be wrong....but wouldnt the cap hit be HUGE if they traded Rivers?

The Chargers have more than enough cap room to take the hit.

I think S.F. is going to have give up a little in the deal if it's for Rivers and the 12.

caneaddict said:
I just realized if SD/SF do the trade and SD takes a wide out then our pick becomes more valuable because quite a few teams want that 2nd wide out. Could we trade down with Minny cause assuming the top 2 picks are wide outs then at least one of the QB's should be available at #8. Ideally I would love to trade down a few times and pick up a couple extra 1st's next year.

exactly..this trade would be sweet for us...would force minny to trade up to get the other WR available

It's also possible that S.D. might want to grab Surtain. There were rumors earlier...

Maybe the 2+Surtain for Rivers, the 12, and Sammy Davis(who the team was considering trading earlier). The Chargers would end up basically filling their cap to its limit to help in future years. They'd put much of Surtain's deal in the 1st year, take River's cap hit, and Braylon's cap hit would also be filled out a bit too.

Jaj said:
It's also possible that S.D. might want to grab Surtain. There were rumors earlier...

Maybe the 2+Surtain for Rivers, the 12, and Sammy Davis(who the team was considering trading earlier). The Chargers would end up basically filling their cap to its limit to help in future years. They'd put much of Surtain's deal in the 1st year, take River's cap hit, and Braylon's cap hit would also be filled out a bit too.
Say no to Sammy Davis!

Back
Top Bottom