49ers narrow it down to three | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

49ers narrow it down to three

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
Per the front page, the 49ers will only workout Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Braylon Edwards. That certainly makes it seem like they have narrowed their choices to those three players. I'm really starting to think that San Francisco may go with Braylon Edwards.

Depending upon what SF does, you can make a strong case for three players with the Dolphins pick:

Ronnie Brown - He will have an immediate and long term impact. Great fit for Linehan's offense with his ability to play in the passing game. A true offensive weapon.

Aaron Rodgers/Alex Smith - Nick Saban has definitely sent out signals that he's not sure that AJ Feeley is the right man to go into the future with. When there is doubt, then you have to consider the quarterback. It all depends on what Saban feels the upside is. The quarterback position may be the one position that has the best long term impact.

Braylon Edwards - In Linehan's system, having three wide receivers that can make plays is a big key. Edwards is the best receiver in this draft and arguably the best player overall in the draft. Will he be #1 on Miami's board? Edwards is a player that would really allow Miami to open up the offense, althought not quite as much as Ronnie Brown's presence would allow the offense to be opened up yet balanced.

I'd also be happy with any of those!

BTW... is it draft day yet?

If Braylon Edwards is the top talent in the draft and SF doesn't pick him and we don't trade down then I see us picking Edwards.

Any of the top remaining 3 best players would be a welcome addition to the team. My preference is for a QB but since I don't get a vote, I'd be happy with whomever Saban selects. :)

In today's MMQB, Peter King says...

"I think, 19 days before the draft, the biggest flux team is Miami. No question. The Dolphins want to move out of the No. 2 pick and will have trouble finding a partner to swap with."

Just thought that might be worth noting. Probably nothing you didn't already know.

phunwin said:
In today's MMQB, Peter King says...

"I think, 19 days before the draft, the biggest flux team is Miami. No question. The Dolphins want to move out of the No. 2 pick and will have trouble finding a partner to swap with."

Just thought that might be worth noting. Probably nothing you didn't already know.

As time progresses... I'm beginning to think less and less that Saban WANTs to drop out of the #2, and more that if someone were to make him an offer he couldn't refuse... he wouldn't.

phinphanphrommi said:
As time progresses... I'm beginning to think less and less that Saban WANTs to drop out of the #2, and more that if someone were to make him an offer he couldn't refuse... he wouldn't.

Really? You think Saban is sold on sticking with #2? That's interesting. Why do you think so?
I'm with Pete King; I think Saban is dying to trade down and avoid overpaying someone when the team has a lot more needs than picks.

phinphanphrommi said:

He wouldn't refuse? So he would trade down? :confused:

I think Saban wants to move down, but he wants value for the pick. He's not going to settle for just a first and a second round pick to move down.

Basically, if Minnesota offers the 7th and 18th picks, along with a 3rd round pick, then I believe Nick may do the deal.

I think KB better stated what I was getting at. I have no doubt that he'd pull the trigger on an offer like KB stated. Hence my offer he can't refuse statment. :)

I don't, however, think that he'll just take the best offer available like some seem to suggest. He's not going to take anything below a very good deal on the part of the Dolphins just so that he doesn't have to overpay whomever he chooses.

IMVHO, he'll take a QB or WR fully expecting that he won't be picking that high again. As much as I love Brown, and as well as I think he'd fit the Linehan offense, I don't think he's as important to the scheme LONG TERM as a QB or WR.

Again, I'm not saying that I think he's against trading down at all... just that the starting price is going to be a damn good offer.

IMVHO, he'll take a QB or WR fully expecting that he won't be picking that high again. As much as I love Brown, and as well as I think he'd fit the Linehan offense, I don't think he's as important to the scheme LONG TERM as a QB or WR.

I don't know. I agree that the quarterback position will be the biggest key in the long run, but I also believe having a runner that defenses have to account for in all situations is probably a bigger key than having a bunch of play making wide receivers. I do not think a wide receiver can impact the game in as many ways as a running back can.

In the end, the quarterback is the most important position, but I think the running back position will be a very key position. I don't think Linehan ever had the type of runner he desires in Minnesota.

All this too will hinder on the Surtain trade. If it goes through, with us getting their 2nd round pick, RB takes a back seat because we can draft a good RB in round 2. So if you take RB out, then all that leaves in QB or WR. So we get down to three players, and SF will take one of them.

KB21 said:
I don't know. I agree that the quarterback position will be the biggest key in the long run, but I also believe having a runner that defenses have to account for in all situations is probably a bigger key than having a bunch of play making wide receivers. I do not think a wide receiver can impact the game in as many ways as a running back can.

In the end, the quarterback is the most important position, but I think the running back position will be a very key position. I don't think Linehan ever had the type of runner he desires in Minnesota.

I somewhat agree, but not 100%. A game-breaking game changing WR makes everyone on the team better. Teams can't blitz as much because they have to cover over the top. Teams can't stack 8 in the box because of the deep threat. A Moss/Owens like WR makes everyone on the offenses' job easier.

Now some of the same can be said for a RB in the opposite direction. But I feel that WR has a bit more gamebreaking ability.

Back
Top Bottom