4th and 1 - Confused | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4th and 1 - Confused

JPenedo

Starter
Reaction score
I went to the game and just got back. Sat way on the top in the freezing rain the whole time, surrounded by Jets fans. However, I stuck it out and had a great time. I think we played very well and glad we stayed in the game. If that big running play did not happen, I def saw us going into overtime.

One thing bothered me though and all Dolphin and Jets fans around me saw it. When Morris caught the pass on 3rd and long and went near the goalline, we all could have swore it was an obvious first down. Refs said it was 4th and 1 though. Now I thought a measurement was coming. I then didnt see one so I looked at replay and all of us around clearly saw a first down. Then Saban calls a timeout! A TIMEOUT! Why not challenge? It was 2:08 or something left in the 4th so its not like he would have lost a challenge he could use later. If he was going to need to call a timeout, he coulda gotten the rest through the challenge. He coulda easily gotten it reversed and it woulda been a whole different ball game. When I saw this, I prayed it wouldnt cost us the game and it rly could have. What do you all think?

BTW, go Dolphins. ;) Did Hagan look as good on TV as he did at the game?

Watching on T.V., Saban called for a measurement and the refs wouldn't give it to him. I'll tell you something else, the P.I. call on us was B.S., the Jets OL was holding a lot in the second half, and Welker got mugged before the ball got to him and we didn't get that call. Same old bull against this Jesters team, they always get the lucky frickin breaks.

I didnt see that but if this is true, why didnt he challenge still?
A better question would be why did he waste a valuable time out earlier in the game on an obvious catch?

A better question would be why did he waste a valuable time out earlier in the game on an obvious catch?

From my perspective, it seems like he did it for the time. I saw it and saw it as a catch from way up from what I was seeing. I think he did it so he can talk to his d to step up.

NFL Replay rules...

Reviewable plays:
The instant replay system will cover a variety of plays in three main areas.
bullet01-1.gif
Sideline, Goal Line, End Zone, and End-Line plays.
bullet01-1.gif
Passing Plays.
bullet01-1.gif
Other detectable infractions, such as a runner ruled down not by defensive contact, and the number of players on the field.

Watching on T.V., Saban called for a measurement and the refs wouldn't give it to him. I'll tell you something else, the P.I. call on us was B.S., the Jets OL was holding a lot in the second half, and Welker got mugged before the ball got to him and we didn't get that call. Same old bull against this Jesters team, they always get the lucky frickin breaks.

They didn't give it to him because it was a half yard short. It clearly was not a first down, even Lemon was calling it.
The PI wasn't BS. He had his forearm into the WR's body and was moving him.
Welkers play was clean, the DB made a real nice play and simply swatted it down.

They didn't give it to him because it was a half yard short. It clearly was not a first down, even Lemon was calling it.

I dont know how you can say that with a certainty without a measurement. I saw his arm go over the line clearly with his knees not yet down.

EVEN if it wasnt a first down, does everyone agree Saban should have chllaneged still? It was VERY close and he wasted a time out anyway.

The PI wasn't BS. He had his forearm into the WR's body and was moving him.
Welkers play was clean, the DB made a real nice play and simply swatted it down.

Nope. On the PI play, the ball was underthrow, the WR stopped running and cut off the defender.

On the Welker play, the defender hit him with his chest in Welkers back before he swatted at the ball. It was without a doubt a pass interference call that wasn't made.

I dont know how you can say that with a certainty without a measurement. I saw his arm go over the line clearly with his knees not yet down.

EVEN if it wasnt a first down, does everyone agree Saban should have chllaneged still? It was VERY close and he wasted a time out anyway.

They showed a shot down the line, the refs knew it wasn't a first down. It didn't even look like he had it on TV, he was short of the first down line. I was confused when he did the little first down dance. And it was enough of a distance that Lemon had his hands pretty far apart when he was showing the coaches where it was spoted, it wasn't questionable to him.

And I don't think Saban expected to use a timeout there. I think they were just running out of time because the decision took longer than it should have.

They showed a shot down the line, the refs knew it wasn't a first down. It didn't even look like he had it on TV, he was short of the first down line. I was confused when he did the little first down dance. And it was enough of a distance that Lemon had his hands pretty far apart when he was showing the coaches where it was spoted, it wasn't questionable to him.

And I don't think Saban expected to use a timeout there. I think they were just running out of time because the decision took longer than it should have.

Yes, exactly, and Saban had already asked for a measurement that he didn't get.

Yeah, that is actually what I heard. That the play clock was around 3 and they paniced by calling time out. Sucks. :(

Back
Top Bottom