5/23 - Albert Wilson Meets With The Media | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5/23 - Albert Wilson Meets With The Media

I like hearing that he is working all the positions...give us a lot of flexibility.

I think that this kid is going to surprise a lot of people. He makes things happen when he's got the ball and he's faster than Landry. He may not make us forget about Jarvis, but he well could make us feel better about the decision...or maybe at least more philosophical.

When I watch tape of Danny Amendola, it's so easy to see how he gets open and why. He's SO quick, has full control of his body, his shoulders, his head, creating all sorts of indecision from cover guys. He's physical, runs everything at 100 mph. There are routes I'm just not even sure you can cover him on.

And then he's intelligent. He knows the defense's tendency and so he takes advantage of it. I don't know if that's coaching, the coaches telling him EXACTLY what to do, or what. Look at this play and appreciate it for all its next-level subtlety.

This sets up like a tunnel screen to the outer most receiver in trips (3 WRs to one side). His coming inside in motion, and the screen action, was a tell for the defense to watch for him to tunnel under the blockers and try and get into the end zone. So those defenders jump the inside to take that away. But he KNOWS they're going to do that, so instead he turns straight up the field and takes the shortest path to the goal line, to the outside shoulder of the blockers.

He turned a tunnel screen (where you come from outside-in, under blockers) into a bubble screen (where you go from inside-out, under blockers) because he anticipated that in the Super Bowl on the goal line the defense was going to be ultra aggressive.

But then when you watch Albert Wilson you're like, wow this kid is fast and quick and can do a lot of things with the ball in his hands. He can execute any screen you want to give him. He will block his ass off for screens (as will Amendola). He can actually execute shovel plays and run like a running back from the backfield (think Tarik Cohen). He is smart, and he's a dog out there.

And then when you watch Jakeem Grant's FULL TAPE (not just highlights, every snap) you just marvel at how easily he gets open, either underneath (because DBs feel like they have to give him an entire zip code of cushion), or deep (because someone decided they could cover him tight and found out how silly they were), and you see what he can do with the ball in his hands (breaks tackles all the time, at his size, because he's got such a low center of gravity and good balance). He even throws in plays like the one he made over Malcolm Butler of the Patriots. The guy has absolutely ABSURD yards per target, and yards per pass snap production. WHEN they have decided to give him a chance to get on the field and make a play, he's made them...at a ridiculous rate. You constantly just want to get him the ball more, or get him on the field more. This is Cameron Wake all over again when Wake was pressuring the quarterback every third or fourth pass rush snap (an unheard-of rate) and people were like "Cam needs to take that next step, I don't see him making enough plays" (Yeah! Because he's not on the field enough, you dope!).

And then of course you go back to DeVante Parker and why he was drafted, the plays he made for Tannehill in 2016 running those skinny post routes, shake routes, out routes, etc. He's so quick for his size, and he can RUN. He's a hard cover! And he can catch the high ball, he can catch the low ball. Not so convinced about his run after the catch (never have been) but the other stuff, the man has talent.

And then you look at Kenny Stills and the mastery he has over every route where he actually needs to beat man coverage. His speed. His play making.

You're trying to figure out who among these guys gets the most action? Who wins out?

Truth is, Tannehill does. Because he's got five guys with a full array of skills, that are all quick as a hiccup, all fast as hell (with the exception of Amendola who doesn't have long speed), most of whom run after the catch (except Stills and Parker), and they ALL GET OPEN. That's what they do.

So the question is just can Miami protect Tannehill long enough for him to get the ball out to all these guys and that's why I looked at what these OLs and RBs have been doing in pass pro. You know, Daniel Kilgore #8 of 38 in pass pro when he doesn't have a rookie QB behind him holding the ball forever, Ja'Wuan James #4 of 35 right tackles, Laremy Tunsil #15 of 35 left tackles, Josh Sitton the best pass protecting guard over the last five years, Jesse Davis #13 of 36 right guards during the six games he played right guard.

It's important, because IF they do block for Tannehill...this pass offense with Tannehill throwing to all this QUICK, and FAST, and VERSATILE dudes who get open...could be really, really good.

Probably not all that smart of Wilson to let that reporter bait him into a foot race with Grant and Stills who both have recorded legit 4.38 speed, while I have the impression that's a good speed for Stills I think Grant runs faster low 4.3 or even 4,2's I suspect Wilson is a low to mid 4.4 g

Seems like it should be year 1 for Gase offense.

Rebuilding on the fly is not easy, sidetracked with Ajayi and winning those close games seemed to set us back some....tired of changing head coaches, show us something this year Gase, I want to believe....

Wish I had the same optimism for Burke, like to take the defense back to what it was before Kevin Coyle got here, we been on the downward slide and they seems to just get worse.

After all these years we should be able to hear the questions from the reporters, most frustrating.

Bro throw in a pair of headphones, i would always try to listen on my phone speakers and they just don't get loud enough to hear the reporters questions

Easily a rebound season if ever there was one. I’d be shocked if we aren’t at least 9-7
When I watch tape of Danny Amendola, it's so easy to see how he gets open and why. He's SO quick, has full control of his body, his shoulders, his head, creating all sorts of indecision from cover guys. He's physical, runs everything at 100 mph. There are routes I'm just not even sure you can cover him on.

And then he's intelligent. He knows the defense's tendency and so he takes advantage of it. I don't know if that's coaching, the coaches telling him EXACTLY what to do, or what. Look at this play and appreciate it for all its next-level subtlety.

This sets up like a tunnel screen to the outer most receiver in trips (3 WRs to one side). His coming inside in motion, and the screen action, was a tell for the defense to watch for him to tunnel under the blockers and try and get into the end zone. So those defenders jump the inside to take that away. But he KNOWS they're going to do that, so instead he turns straight up the field and takes the shortest path to the goal line, to the outside shoulder of the blockers.

He turned a tunnel screen (where you come from outside-in, under blockers) into a bubble screen (where you go from inside-out, under blockers) because he anticipated that in the Super Bowl on the goal line the defense was going to be ultra aggressive.

But then when you watch Albert Wilson you're like, wow this kid is fast and quick and can do a lot of things with the ball in his hands. He can execute any screen you want to give him. He will block his *** off for screens (as will Amendola). He can actually execute shovel plays and run like a running back from the backfield (think Tarik Cohen). He is smart, and he's a dog out there.

And then when you watch Jakeem Grant's FULL TAPE (not just highlights, every snap) you just marvel at how easily he gets open, either underneath (because DBs feel like they have to give him an entire zip code of cushion), or deep (because someone decided they could cover him tight and found out how silly they were), and you see what he can do with the ball in his hands (breaks tackles all the time, at his size, because he's got such a low center of gravity and good balance). He even throws in plays like the one he made over Malcolm Butler of the Patriots. The guy has absolutely ABSURD yards per target, and yards per pass snap production. WHEN they have decided to give him a chance to get on the field and make a play, he's made them...at a ridiculous rate. You constantly just want to get him the ball more, or get him on the field more. This is Cameron Wake all over again when Wake was pressuring the quarterback every third or fourth pass rush snap (an unheard-of rate) and people were like "Cam needs to take that next step, I don't see him making enough plays" (Yeah! Because he's not on the field enough, you dope!).

And then of course you go back to DeVante Parker and why he was drafted, the plays he made for Tannehill in 2016 running those skinny post routes, shake routes, out routes, etc. He's so quick for his size, and he can RUN. He's a hard cover! And he can catch the high ball, he can catch the low ball. Not so convinced about his run after the catch (never have been) but the other stuff, the man has talent.

And then you look at Kenny Stills and the mastery he has over every route where he actually needs to beat man coverage. His speed. His play making.

You're trying to figure out who among these guys gets the most action? Who wins out?

Truth is, Tannehill does. Because he's got five guys with a full array of skills, that are all quick as a hiccup, all fast as hell (with the exception of Amendola who doesn't have long speed), most of whom run after the catch (except Stills and Parker), and they ALL GET OPEN. That's what they do.

So the question is just can Miami protect Tannehill long enough for him to get the ball out to all these guys and that's why I looked at what these OLs and RBs have been doing in pass pro. You know, Daniel Kilgore #8 of 38 in pass pro when he doesn't have a rookie QB behind him holding the ball forever, Ja'Wuan James #4 of 35 right tackles, Laremy Tunsil #15 of 35 left tackles, Josh Sitton the best pass protecting guard over the last five years, Jesse Davis #13 of 36 right guards during the six games he played right guard.

It's important, because IF they do block for Tannehill...this pass offense with Tannehill throwing to all this QUICK, and FAST, and VERSATILE dudes who get open...could be really, really good.

Back
Top Bottom