5 Miami Dolphins players that could regress in 2020 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Miami Dolphins players that could regress in 2020

Howard has had one outstanding year and the remaining years he has been a Dolphin he has battled one injury after another. I really have no idea if he will be the Howard from 2018 or the injury riddled player he has been most of his time in Miami.

Fitzpatrick is what he is. A backup caliber QB who can play at a high level for a few games each season and then can play like the worst QB in the league at other times. He is good for 4-6 wins a season and that’s about it. The sooner Tua can get on the field and Fitzpatrick is sent back to the bench to be the backup QB, the better off the entire offense will be.

Flowers is a huge question mark because the entire offensive line is a huge question mark. You have a lot of young offensive linemen the Dolphins are counting on to upgrade this entire unit. I think Flowers would be an effective guard on an experienced offensive line but I have no idea if he will be able to be a leader on an offensive line with possibly 2 rookies starting and a new center. I think he will likely be better in 2021, once the OL has had time to play together for a season than he will be in 2020.

Williams is coming off a ACL injury. Hopefully he will recover fully from this injury and will be able to play at the level he did prior to being injured. Yet it is not unusual for players with an ACL injury to take nearly two years to get back to where they were physically before the injury. So until we see how he has recovered from the surgery, it is difficult to know if he will regress in 2020 or if he will come back strong and continue to develop as one of the teams best Wide Receivers.

Gesicki is a TE in a Chan Gailey offense. Historically Gailey is not known as an OC who uses His TE’s in the passing game. He prefers his TE’s to be blockers for the running games and as extra protection in the passing game. The only time he really used a TE in his offense to catch passes was when he was with the a Chiefs and Tony Gonzalez was the Chiefs TE. Gonzalez was one of the best TE’s is NFL history and the office under a Gailey was built around the running game and Gonzalez.
Gesicki is not a blocking TE and it will be interesting to see how Gailey decides to utilize Gesicki in the Dolphins offense. .
Howard doesn’t have a single season where he’s started/been healthy for 16 games. Love the player, but he needs to stay healthy.

Gesicki was utilized in the slot quite often last season. I too am curious how Gailey is going to use his size/abilities. Gailey might just use him better then we saw, or use him less. So I am curious how it’s going to go with both these guys.

Howard....Howard is too good, his biggest problem is health, and might be beaten time to time, but unlike Jones (who is better in coverage), if you keep throwing Howards way, along with not completing many, eventually he will burn you with an INT.

Williams...Williams has all the talet and advantages in the world, 6'5, fast, physical, decent to very good catching ability. This coming year will be huge for him, he proved in 2019 that physically there is talent there...This year he just needs to keep his mind in check, and allow his superior physical tools to prove it was not just a fluke.

Flowers...This is the one that looks the most shakey. Yes, in Washington he proved he is a better Guard then Tackle, but he still needs to prove himself, but this time with a Rookie LT to one side, and a 1st time season starting Center to the other...this time he needs to he the helping hand, not the one getting sime help from established linemen.

Fitzpatrick... In his short time starting with the Bucs, he had a run, where he looked like one of the best QBs in the NFL, then with Miami, after getting comfortable with the new offense, and his teammates getting somewhat comfortable, he looked solid to very good. Though at this stage you really can't expect too much from Fitz, the reality is, in his final years in the NFL, he is playing his best football.

Gesicki...Gesicki in 2018 was forced by Gase to become a blocker, so he had little time to develop his natural ability as a top pass-catching TE. Was it his fault that Gase did not allow him to do what he does best. In 2019, the Dolphins Coaching started using him as the receiving weapon he is, and low and behold, Gesicki going into the 2nd half of the season was probably one of (if not, the) best receiving TEs playing.

I don't disagree that maybe some of the player might regress, but those 5 are probably less likely to regress then others...if any.

Flowers--Agree
This is an obvious one, he has been in the NFL for several years and had several abysmal seasons, with one outlier last year at guard. This would be obvious.

Howard--Disagree
He is having a bit of a difficult offseason, so I guess I understand this one, but disagree. Having Byron Jones opposite him will mean he gets a lot more targets, and I can see him grabbing as many as 7 INT's this year. I'm actually expecting a banner year from Howard.

Fitzmagic--Disagree
He has been trending better and more consistent in the last few years despite learning myriad new systems. He was saddled with an entirely new and very complex system last year, and he did very well, but was held back by his teammates adapting to that system. He had a horrible OL. Even if this year's OL is just as bad, he has had a year of chemistry with his entire receiving (WR and TE) corps, so he should do better, not worse. The new Chan Gailey system is more familiar to these guys and less complex than the Patriots scheme we ran last year, so even if it takes a while to get up to speed, these guys should be better than last year at adapting to the new system. Fitz is settled and has played and done well in Gailey's system before, so Fitz should have another good year. Not expecting any regression from Fitz. But, don't be surprised if the transition period for the offense is weathered by Fitz, and then once the offense starts to click he is yanked and supplanted by Tua. That I could definitely see happening to Fitz.

Williams--Agree
Preston Williams could go either way. He had everything to prove last year, and that motivator will not be the same this year. But, he could well do significantly better too, as year 2 is typically a major improvement year for young WR's. The x-factor for me here is that Williams is young and his issues have never been physical. It's all about his head ... does he make the right decisions to grind daily ... does he start slacking as he feels he has 'made it' ... does he buy into what the coaches are preaching ... and does he have the same rapport with Tua eventually as he does with Fitz? Fitz loves his big targets, so after Parker and Gesicki, Williams gets a lot of snaps. But, with a healthy Albert Williams, passes to Breida, and a different QB, Williams' snaps and targets may be reduced. Hard to get a read on this one yet, but tentatively agree.

Gesicki--Disagree
Gesicki has shown to have a rather typical TE learning curve as he struggled with flashes as a rookie, and showed significant development as a sophomore. I'm expecting continual improvement in his 3rd year, particularly if Fitz remains the QB. But even if Tua takes over, rookie QB's typically lean heavy on their TE's with checkdowns, and Gesicki is a large target and Tua knows Gesicki is the future. So, I expect to see whomever is QB targeting Gesicki a lot, and his production go up. If everyone is healthy, we know Parker will get his share of targets, with Preston Williams and Albert Wilson fighting for the 2nd WR spot. Gesicki, as the security blanket TE as well as the seam threat TE, will get plenty of targets. Breida will get targets. Until the injuries hit, if one person gets squeezed out, I'm expecting it to be Preston Williams or Albert Wilson, and Jakeem Grant losing most of his targets this year until injuries hit.

All in all ... can't say that I agree with this article.
Nice take. Agree w most of it though I think in Williams’ case he still has a lot to prove and will be motivated. He’s on a UDFA rookie contract and coming off of knee surgery that cost him half a season or so. I expect him (if the knee is 100%) to continue to impress. Totally agree about X. I’m glad we didn’t trade him and I don’t think that was ever the plan. NE has had a top tier CB during the entire Belicjik era - Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Revis, Talib, Gilmore etc - we may have to trade X or Jones eventually as we are over invested in CBs but it’s going to be fun to watch the defensive improvement this year.

5 Players that might regress may be

Fitzmagic - He has never put 2 good years in a row
McCain - He may not be built to sustain being a safety
McMillan - he may get beat out for the starting job
Flowers - if he needs to play a tackle position
Needham - he may get beat out by. Igbinoghene

I get the need to produce content when **** is shut down but
seriously this kind of garbage is like rotten bacon on the hook
for catfish! Ya know -- those bottom feeders will eat anything!

Seriously -- I have ZERO interest in regression at this point and
hopefully you do as well. We have ONE trajectory that we're in
terested in at that's VERTICAL baby!

My opinion. Of course.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom