5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20111...gameinfo|contentId:09000d5d823a6d7d&tab=recap

Dolphins at Giants 2011..

Personal reason (brothers a Giants fan)

When Marshall clearly didn't do anything to warrant an offensive Pass Int call and they called it when it was clearly on the Giants yet Marshall still caught it.

It was the game sealing play and then the Giants went on to win. Terrible call and if Marshall didn't catch it the refs wouldn't have called anything at all.

They went and scored 10 unanswered lol Matt Moore was our QB and Bush went for 103 yds carving up their Defense. Not much meaning but a very tough loss for personal reasons lol

Name your 5 regular season Miami losses that still just piss you off when you think about it.

For me in no particular order:

2003- Texans 21 Dolphins 20

Miami was I wanna say like 17 pt favorites against 2nd year Houston. I felt bad about that game when Houston was up 3-0 for the longest time ever. Miami went up 14-3 and all looked well until Miami kept turning the ball over. Very embarrassing loss to and 2nd year team and freaking David Carr.

2000- Jets 40 Dolphins 37

Enough said

2009- Colts 27 Dolphins 23

Dolphins dominated time of possession with the colts only having the ball for 15 mins. Peyton Manning made it look so easy.

2011- Broncos 18 Dolphins 15

The embarrassing Tim tebow day gets even more embarrassing when Miami blows a 15 point lead, and a shutout in the final 3 mins as Denver wins for the first time ever in Miami.

2010-Steelers 23 Dolphins 22

Miami jobbed by the refs as Miami appeared to have sealed the win with a Roethlisberger fumble but Gene Steratore said otherwise...

Yes those games were extremely annoying and controversial. Good call on those!!

There are many, but I'll just mention one. And frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned earlier.

Super bowl vs. the San Francisco 49'ers.
I had no idea at the time how important that loss would be for me. I desperately wanted Dan Marino to win a Super Bowl and validate his GOAT career performance for the "nothing but Super Bowl rings matter" crowd. At the time, I expected to be back to the Super Bowl. At the time I was downtrodden but hopeful. At the time I didn't fully comprehend how great Dan Marino really was (I was just a kid). That sting never went away. In fact, over time it stung more and more. Perhaps it is fading some now because I'm just happy some people remember the great performances of Dan Marino, as time moves on pushing all of it, my memories and the sting of that loss, out of the public interest.

The Undefeated team will live in infamy forever as everyone and their brother jealously covets what they accomplished and indirectly praises them by attempting to argue that it somehow meant less than today. But, jealously, they all still covet what only the Undefeated team has.

Personally, I wanted Marino to have a Super Bowl ring. And that is the one that really stings.

If you want a 2nd game, it would be our AFC playoff loss to the Patriots in 1985. We beat the Bears and were the only team to do it. We did it because Marino processed information so quickly, had such great vision, and our WR's had such great quickness that even those overload schemes of Ryan couldn't stop our offensive juggernaut. We created a blueprint for other teams to follow, and in 1986, those Bears teams were beatable. They were beatable because they took what Dan Marino and Don Shula did and used that game plan. But, in 1985, the Dolphins lost to the friggin' New England Patriots, who weren't really that good. Had we won that game I suspect we would have beaten the Bears again in the Super Bowl, and Dan Marino would have had his ring.
it's supposed to be regular season only

If you listed a playoff game you get an F in following directions. The title of the threat is "...Regular Season Loss" Of course playoff losses would be way worse than regular season.

Ones that haven't been brought up yet:

1986 Jets 51 Miami 45. It was a historic game would have like to been on the right side of it.

1989 Bills 27 Dolphins 24. Opening day and we lose on the last play of the game.

2002 Bills 38 Miami 21. Ricky ran for 228 yards 2tds and we couldn't give him any support

Can't believe you remember the 89 Bills game.. The game was blacked out so I was listening to it on the radio.. I was 14 at the time.. Bills had the ball at the 2 yard line with several seconds left.. I remember screaming out watch the sneak, watch the sneak... Jim Kelly ran it in for the TD. I was shellshocked for a week. I remember sitting at the dinner table in a state of disbelief. I think I cried too.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011103000/2011/REG8/dolphins@giants#menu=gameinfo|contentId:09000d5d823a6d7d&tab=recap

Dolphins at Giants 2011..

Personal reason (brothers a Giants fan)

When Marshall clearly didn't do anything to warrant an offensive Pass Int call and they called it when it was clearly on the Giants yet Marshall still caught it.

It was the game sealing play and then the Giants went on to win. Terrible call and if Marshall didn't catch it the refs wouldn't have called anything at all.

They went and scored 10 unanswered lol Matt Moore was our QB and Bush went for 103 yds carving up their Defense. Not much meaning but a very tough loss for personal reasons lol

I remember that game because I had to work, luckily the store I worked at it on all their TVs in their electronic department. Miami was 0-7 I think and they went up 17-0 vs the Giants. Of course they choked that game but man Miami has let Eli off the hook too many times.

If you listed a playoff game you get an F in following directions. The title of the threat is "...Regular Season Loss" Of course playoff losses would be way worse than regular season.

lol I'm always pissed with every Dolphins playoff loss. But some regular season loses still piss me off to this day, which obviously was the point of this thread.

Last edited:
So many horrid memories that this brings up.

Randy Moss reverse pass to beat us in Minny and then blowing the next week against the Pats. NE could have had 20 defenders on the field and still would not have been able to stop Ricky. Those two Games - Brutal.

Olindo Mare missing 3 FGs off the infield dirt and then Brady OT bomb to Troy Brown to push us to insignificance for over 10 years.

Big Ben fumble into endzone when Ike Alama Francis walks out of pile with the ball. Then after the game Ben talks about how he recovered it, which he did not. Gene Steratore.

Darren Sharper pre half time pick 6 that he fumbles through end zone. Called TD, lost control of the ball at 4 yard line. Saints come back and beat us after big 2nd half to Shockey. Gene Steratore again.

See any Texans Game pre 2015.
Expansion Season. Matt Schaub QB Draw. Kris Brown with 58 yard FG as time expires.

Charles Clay dropped Td on 3rd and goal in DET. Then Stafford to Theo Riddick FTW. One week removed from Philbin TO fiasco allowing Rodgers to capitalize.

And so many more....

I was at that game vs. Houston where Kris Brown beat the Dolphins 21-20 (or whatever the hell it was). The expectation was Miami would win by 21 easy. **** me with that game.

On the flip side, my favorite game was the 34-10 win over Denver to start the season. Jason Taylor had a pick 6 as time expired off Jake Plummer. Denver was favored in that game. It was a wonderful experience.

I was at that game vs. Houston where Kris Brown beat the Dolphins 21-20 (or whatever the hell it was). The expectation was Miami would win by 21 easy. **** me with that game.

On the flip side, my favorite game was the 34-10 win over Denver to start the season. Jason Taylor had a pick 6 as time expired off Jake Plummer. Denver was favored in that game. It was a wonderful experience.

Yeah it was 21-20. David Carr had 266 passing yards. I'll never forget that stat lol the media said David Carr was finally coming on as a QB. Apparently some Miami players talked a lot of crap in warmups saying they'll see Houston players after the "practice" lol

Yeah it was 21-20. David Carr had 266 passing yards. I'll never forget that stat lol the media said David Carr was finally coming on as a QB. Apparently some Miami players talked a lot of crap in warmups saying they'll see Houston players after the "practice" lol

One of a few disappointments I've seen in person there. Another being the 41-14 game vs Buffalo a few years ago. Hell the 17-7 loss to Tennessee on a Saturday (hurricane pushed the game up a day) where Jay Fiedler was benched at halftime in favor of AJ Feeley was another nut-puncher.

1984 Loss to the 4Whiners in the SB. Marino could have had his ring in his first year. Zero scored in the second half 38-16

1983 Miamis loss to the Redskins in the SB. Fulton Walker returned he KO 98 yards right before halftime and we led 17-10 at the half . Miami gets punked by Riggens in the 4th qtr and the Redskins gain a SB record 276 rushing yards.

1997 NE beats Miami 3 times in the same season. Miami D melts down in the last 3 minutes of the playoff game typical of the Zach Thomas, JT 90's years. Those 3 losses along with the others mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom