5 Somewhat "Bold" Draft Predictions | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Somewhat "Bold" Draft Predictions

There are always quality players available in the 1st RD. Even 2013 had guys like Nuke Hopkins in the 20s.

My biggest fear is that Flores wants to build a dominant D and doesn't do enough to help the new QB.

Allow me a broad generalization . . .
If QB, WR, OT make up almost half of draft picks in R1, that means a lot of CBs, Edge, OC, and most other positions, will be pushed further down the draft than usual. yeah, quality players are always available, but I'd expect more 'higher quality' to be available lower in R1 than previous years, as long as it's not WR, OT.

If QB, WR, OT make up almost half of draft picks in R1, that means a lot of CBs, Edge, OC, and most other positions, will be pushed further down the draft than usual. yeah, quality players are always available, but I'd expect more 'higher quality' to be available lower in R1 than previous years, as long as it's not WR, OT.
Lets say 6 OT's, 6 WR's and 5 QB's......that's more than half already. And really it could be more as I could see 7 WR's and 7 OT's

I get what you're saying, but I see it differently. CB is strong in 2020, so I agree there. There are 2 or 3 CB's with high-end talent, who I regularly see fall to the 2nd or even 3rd in mocks. But, part of that has to do with lesser talents being rated higher at this point. We'll see if that holds.

Edge is weak. I'm even cooling some on Epenesa. It's not a good class to need a Pass Rusher.

McCoy fell to 47 last year, and I don't have any Center rated in his range. Maybe that changes, but it's a relatively cheap position, so it gets pushed down the board anyway.

QB, OT, WR, and CB are the meat of this class. That's where the value is, speaking broadly. I used to do threads highlighting which positions were strong or weak. I did those threads, because Miami seemed to always bypass the strong groups. They bypassed a strong OL class in general (no, Dieter doesn't count) and a strong group of Safeties in 2019.

I get what you're saying, but I see it differently. CB is strong in 2020, so I agree there. There are 2 or 3 CB's with high-end talent, who I regularly see fall to the 2nd or even 3rd in mocks. But, part of that has to do with lesser talents being rated higher at this point. We'll see if that holds.

Edge is weak. I'm even cooling some on Epenesa. It's not a good class to need a Pass Rusher.

McCoy fell to 47 last year, and I don't have any Center rated in his range. Maybe that changes, but it's a relatively cheap position, so it gets pushed down the board anyway.

QB, OT, WR, and CB are the meat of this class. That's where the value is, speaking broadly. I used to do threads highlighting which positions were strong or weak. I did those threads, because Miami seemed to always bypass the strong groups. They bypassed a strong OL class in general (no, Dieter doesn't count) and a strong group of Safeties in 2019.
No doubt OT and WR are strong and very deep this year. QB you have 3 guys that will probably go top 10. I agree we should not go center in the first round. Most of the time they fall and you can get one in the 2nd or even 3rd round most of the time.
As far as corner, it looks like we'll be looking for one but again, I don't want to reach for one in the first round(depending on who's on the board at other positions)......3 of our best corners we've drafted were drafted in the 2nd round.....Madison, Surtain and Howard.

If we are going BOLD...

1. The first trade up in the draft will be for Chase Young not a QB
2. Andrew Thomas will end up the 4th OT taken and be the first to a pro-bowl/All-Pro team
3. Ruggs runs a 4.25 at the combine and becomes an overdraft in the top 10
4. Tua is there at 5 for Miami as he will have great medicals but oddly continue to "limp" until he is drafted when he will run up to the stage with a few cuts to get around production staff and the whole world screams collusion
5. Mike Brown doesnt select Burrow the universe implodes on itself ending all existence

I think we agree from different perspectives. Given the data is accurate - half of R1 is QB, OT, WR - there are two clear possibilities.
1) If Miami wants a QB and two OTs in R1 (example only), they are less likely to get a top 3 prospect at each position.
2) If, OTOH, they want QB, CB, DT, those top players are more likely to be available later than ranked. And, we agree, there is more to draft selection than position and need.

1. After Tua is drafted at No. 2, Miami trades down from No. 5 while and acquires more 1st round picks
2. Chase Young isn't drafted in the top 3
3. Miami doesn't take a QB in round one
4. Jordan Love and Jake Fromm are not drafted in the top 20
5. Miami drafts 4 OL in the 2020 NFL draft.

1) The Dolphins miss out on Tua or Burrow.
2) Avigatorx mysteriously disappears for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom