#5- What a spot to be! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#5- What a spot to be!

The Tua Mafia is gonna kill me, but I'm scared of his injuries. First I didn't believe in Rosen and I got killed. Now I don't believe in Tua's health, and I'm sure I'm gonna get killed again. I went to bat for Fitzmagic being a fun but a little too good of a QB to tank ... right again, and killed for it. I called Fitzmagic definitely the better of the two QB's ... again, killed for it. At this point ... I'm used to the pushback, but whomever we draft to play QB is going to need some transition time, is going to throw some INT's, and is going to struggle to generate offense from time to time.

Personally, since I'm in broken-record mode ... I'll just say what I've said to many times in the past ... if a good deal comes along for the #5 pick, and we don't have the QB we want available ... trade the F down.

Ok I am presuming Burrow is gone by the 5th pick so who and with what pick do you choose our next QB.

The day we signed Fitz I was at my local sports bar talking to an old timer long suffering Lions fan aka the Dolphins of the NFC...turned right to him and said "well there goes the first pick, Fitz will win 5 games"

Nobody would have said that about the previous QB the team had. Hopefully they’ll be saying it about the next QB they draft....

But at what price. If you make a statement like that, what would you give up for him?

I don't want to trade up, but for arguements sake, This years 18, a 2nd round, one of next years 2nd rounder and Jones.
I’d give up 5, 18 and 26.

You get a great QB.....and you use the money you would have had to pay the picks at 18 and 26 on young free agents.

To me it’s simple-
Tua, Burrow, Okudah, Simmons, Young. I hope we don’t blow all these assets falling in love with a guy & overpay to move up. We know qb comes before all, but I think we’re set up for an impact player at 5.

Phins up!

If we don't get Tua after losing Tunsil, Minkah and Drake then every sane Dolphin fan over 40 will wipe their hands of this mess...

Yes! Because a corner will really turn this franchise around! After Fitz retires we will really take the next step with a corner

Corners get no love. One of the toughest positions in any pro sport! At a disadvantage every single play! Guards some of the most elite athletes in the league! Add an elite corner to play with Howard and you take away 50% of the field on any given play. We have competent LB'ers, we draft a push rusher and sign another in FA and we have significantly improved the defense. Sure CB probably isn't high on anyones list for a top 5 pick but in reality it would go a long way to improving this team.

Grier all ready got one strike Rosen. The second strike will cost him his job..if he font get it right at qb position...

Okudah would be a horrible pick at #5 with so many picks and X. Howard on the squad.

Secondly, anyone wanting to play it safe and not pick Tua at #5 must want to be 8 and 8 for the next 2 decades again. The only way you don't pick Tua at 5 is if he is gone.

This draft needs to be mostly offensive lineman and pass rush help.

Ok I am presuming Burrow is gone by the 5th pick so who and with what pick do you choose our next QB.
That's a good question. I'm high on Jake Fromm, and he was an ideal fit for the offense we ran last year--the Patriots offense--but with our shift to a more spread system that rewards mobility more ... I'm not quite sure. I was hoping Justin Herbert would prove his worth this year ... but I feel the same way I did last year ... he's got an awesome ceiling ... but I don't trust his consistency, accuracy is awesome some games ... others .... not good enough. Biggest arm, biggest frame, excellent athlete, has decent vision and seems to process fairly well. The boxes are all checked ... but somehow he's a bit lacking, IMHO. Not the fiery leader I prefer, but that's not really the deciding factor.

Eason seems pretty good too, but I need to do more research on him before I can really tell either way. Tua I definitely like, but never truly loved ... he's a hair less accurate than Fromm and doesn't process as well or as quickly as Fromm, and I'm scared of his injuries. Both are kinda smallish.

At the end of the day, I was expecting this QB class to be better. Even Burrow, as good as he is, seems to me like a better version of Andy Dalton ... and while Burrow is better ... I'm not sure he's going to be the answer some are expecting him to be. He makes great decisions though, so his floor is very high.

I still need to look more into this QB class. But at this point I know I wouldn't take Tua in the 1st round--and he'll definitely be a 1st rounder. We will be too good to get Trevor Lawrence next year, so this is our year to find a guy ... just not sure who that should be yet.

No one should "kill you" for being scared of his injuries. Everyone is scared of his injuries. That's not the point, or the real question you need to ask about Tua.

The question is if a) it's worth the risk and b) are we in a position to take a risk In my mind, both of those questions are an obvious yes.

Tua is a great prospect. The question gets a little more dicey and debatable if we have to move up. That's where you'll probably find more disagreement.

I don't think people appreciate how forgivable a "miss" on Tua, say he got injured, would be for the franchise. Instead everyone would rather play it safe, year after year, until "finally" everything is in line and we get our QB. Waiting for that is much more damning than missing on one elite prospect at QB.
Jimmy Johnson said he always wanted to swing for the fences in the 1st round, and he drafted a big DL (Daryl Gardner maybe?) with strength and athleticism. So guys with huge upside like Justin Herbert make a lot of sense in the 1st round. Tua's ceiling may not be as high as Herbert's, but he's a natural leader, good player, and if healthy, has a solid floor. But that "if healthy" part is really the whole enchilada. Seeing as we've drafted guys like Yatil Green, Dion Jordan, Mike Pouncey, I'm not too confident that we'll keep him healthy ... and a hip is a major injury concern. Our luck isn't the best.

The day we signed Fitz I was at my local sports bar talking to an old timer long suffering Lions fan aka the Dolphins of the NFC...turned right to him and said "well there goes the first pick, Fitz will win 5 games"
Amen brother ... I was right there with ya ... figuratively. Next time you're at your local sports bar, raise one for me, and I'll do the same for you!

That's a good question. I'm high on Jake Fromm, and he was an ideal fit for the offense we ran last year--the Patriots offense--but with our shift to a more spread system that rewards mobility more ... I'm not quite sure. I was hoping Justin Herbert would prove his worth this year ... but I feel the same way I did last year ... he's got an awesome ceiling ... but I don't trust his consistency, accuracy is awesome some games ... others .... not good enough. Biggest arm, biggest frame, excellent athlete, has decent vision and seems to process fairly well. The boxes are all checked ... but somehow he's a bit lacking, IMHO. Not the fiery leader I prefer, but that's not really the deciding factor.

Eason seems pretty good too, but I need to do more research on him before I can really tell either way. Tua I definitely like, but never truly loved ... he's a hair less accurate than Fromm and doesn't process as well or as quickly as Fromm, and I'm scared of his injuries. Both are kinda smallish.

At the end of the day, I was expecting this QB class to be better. Even Burrow, as good as he is, seems to me like a better version of Andy Dalton ... and while Burrow is better ... I'm not sure he's going to be the answer some are expecting him to be. He makes great decisions though, so his floor is very high.

I still need to look more into this QB class. But at this point I know I wouldn't take Tua in the 1st round--and he'll definitely be a 1st rounder. We will be too good to get Trevor Lawrence next year, so this is our year to find a guy ... just not sure who that should be yet.

I did some digging of game tape on Eason this past year, Uggh it wasn't pretty

Pro's
1. Great arm ball comes out with great velocity
2. Probrably fastest Release in the draft.
3. average to good mobility in the pocket to keep plays alive

Cons
1. Very Spotty accuracy and will be ten yards off from his target with his passes from time to time
2. Doesn't have great footwork and throws a number of passes off his back foot
3. Makes poor choices under pressure

NFL comparison
1. Jameis WInston/Blaine Gabbert Million dollar arm but Ten Cent Football I.Q. He needs a lot of coaching before seeing a starting QB job.

I want to say I am slightly warming up to Herbert and will be evaluating his tape next but watching his snaps vs Washington and Washington state.. He looks the part of a good NFL QB

I did some digging of game tape on Eason this past year, Uggh it wasn't pretty

Pro's
1. Great arm ball comes out with great velocity
2. Probrably fastest Release in the draft.
3. average to good mobility in the pocket to keep plays alive

Cons
1. Very Spotty accuracy and will be ten yards off from his target with his passes from time to time
2. Doesn't have great footwork and throws a number of passes off his back foot
3. Makes poor choices under pressure

NFL comparison
1. Jameis WInston/Blaine Gabbert Million dollar arm but Ten Cent Football I.Q. He needs a lot of coaching before seeing a starting QB job.
I've got to do more work on him, but your Con #2 was what stood out to me. He seems a bit raw, and that footwork is definitely the culprit for a lot of his innacuracy. It can be fixed, yes ... but by now I'm sure he's been taught the right footwork, and just not implemented it ... so you wonder if the light comes on for him and he buckles down and learns it. On the flip side ... he does have games where his accuracy is quite impressive, so when his mechanics are right, he can be an accurate QB. But he's going to need a coach that takes the cowboy out of him and develops him into a disciplined QB. He's no Pat Mahomes (unconventional but great), Eason is just undisciplined and his team pays for it. Still ... there's a lot to like, and that release can be deadly if he can pair it with quick information processing.

I've got to do more work on him, but your Con #2 was what stood out to me. He seems a bit raw, and that footwork is definitely the culprit for a lot of his innacuracy. It can be fixed, yes ... but by now I'm sure he's been taught the right footwork, and just not implemented it ... so you wonder if the light comes on for him and he buckles down and learns it. On the flip side ... he does have games where his accuracy is quite impressive, so when his mechanics are right, he can be an accurate QB. But he's going to need a coach that takes the cowboy out of him and develops him into a disciplined QB. He's no Pat Mahomes (unconventional but great), Eason is just undisciplined and his team pays for it. Still ... there's a lot to like, and that release can be deadly if he can pair it with quick information processing.

It appears to me that he tries to play hero ball alot when things breakdown but hate to say it he just isn't good at it and will make throws that have no business in college let alone the NFL. Rewatched the Eason vs Utah game tape and I don't think he even steps into any of these throws all off the back foot but his arm is so good he can get away with it but throws most balls flat footed. He has upside but to me i see a 3rd or 4th round prospect in him. i know Utah is a pretty good defense but they aren't this good.

Back
Top Bottom