'72 dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'72 dolphins

dlphns8405 said:
is that sarcastic?

No. A 285 lb. OL was considered to be freakishly "HUGE" back in those days. The players just weren't as big as they are now. As I don't have the numbers in front of me, nor the motivation to go on a research project, this is just shooting from the hip, but it seems like the "typical" size for a Guard / Tackle was around 260 -275 at the high end. Seems like around '73 or '74 we had a DT or DE named Reese who played around 278 - 280 and people were like, "DAAYYYUMMMM!!! what a big guy". It's just different now.

i got a csonka signed penant a few years back. he was a monsta back in the 70s from what i have seen in highlights and stats.

csonka..of course he was... he was bigger than the linebackers!! compared to the other offensive players he was huge.

Young players

You know what the real shame is, look how young a team we had together and think that they went to three straight superbowls (only team to do that till the Bills did 4). If the owner would have paid Csonka and the others more money like they wanted, we might have had a team that "might" have reached the SB couple more times.

Yeah, I don't know that those guys ever actually got paid the $ they were lured away with either since the WFL went teats up within two-three years of its inaugural season.

fishypete said:
Den Herder, Vern DE 6-6 252 ....remind you of someone?

Yes he does I am old enough to remember him.
#66 Larry Little was the best player on the team.
#12 Bob Griese had an arm equal to Feefee but the brains to know his limits and not try to do things he couldn't do,he would have made a great coach.
#85 Nick Bouniconni was the same as Zach Thomas.
#42 Paul Warfield was as good of a wide receiver as has ever played in the NFL.
#39 Larry Csonka everyone on the planet knew he was getting thee ball no one could stop him(see#66 above) Zonk once got called for unnecaserry roughness when he was the ball carrier :roflmao: Idon't think that has ever happend before or will ever happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don Shula the greatest coach of all time in his prime.
Every game people would rise to the ocaision and make the plays we needed.
Those were the days :cooldude: :cooldude:
They are coming back :cooldude: :cooldude:
Nick Saban reminds me of someone else from that era.

I cant believe how young they were. That only adds to the legacy that is Shula. TO keep a group that young focused week in and week out over the course of the whole season says alot about him and his staff. I am a little you for that group, but I had no idea Czonka was only 26 and Greise was 27. What a mind blower.

Back
Top Bottom