72 dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

72 dolphins

Kolbiss

Please start Feeley!
Reaction score
I am sure you guys get this question a lot, but how do you stack the 72 team up against teams like the 70's Steelers 90's Cowboys 80's niners 60's Packers, or even the modern day Pats.......Homers need not respond! ;)

Perfection-We were prepared every game-NO let downs.
All those teams you speak of,were great but at some point
in the season they had a letdown.I think that speaks volumns
of not only talent but coaching.

Damn,I'm old...but I've seen some great Dolphins' games.

Namor said:

NAMOR is right you cant make the comparison . none of these other teams reached perfection so it would be lke comparing apples to bananas you cant

Namor said:

I;'m not taking anything away from that dolphin team as there is no question it is an all-time great team but of all the SB Champs they had by far the easiest schedule. The AFC East was brutal, the only team over. 500 was Miami. They only played 2 teams over .500 and it was the 8-6 Chiefs and Giants.

AGAIN, I am not taking anything away but when you say they didn't have a letdown part of the reason was the incredibly weak sched.

Remember in the NFL---On Any Given Sunday.

I think the rules for back then compared to now make things much different. From a physical standpoint, the 72 Dolphins would be much tougher than any of the teams mentioned. The most difficult team of the ones you named would be Dallas because of their very big and athletic offensive line (and of course Emmitt). The Steelers were good. But I just think we would have beat their offense up. We'd have won a low scoring game against them. So the Steelers and Cowboys would be the biggest threats against us. But not big enough. (IMO)

Honestly if they played each other now with the size and athletisim the way it is now in the NFL, the 90s Cowboys or the Pats of today would probably beat any of those dynasty teams.

Kolbiss said:
I am sure you guys get this question a lot, but how do you stack the 72 team up against teams like the 70's Steelers 90's Cowboys 80's niners 60's Packers, or even the modern day Pats.......Homers need not respond! ;)

You know what ESPN did a special comapring those teams last year, and you know who they said was the best Its the 72 Dolphins.

Dolfan984 said:
Honestly if they played each other now with the size and athletisim the way it is now in the NFL, the 90s Cowboys or the Pats of today would probably beat any of those dynasty teams.

You can go either way with this one. If you implement the rules that the '72 Dolphins team played under, it would make it MUCH more difficult on the Cowboys and particularly the Pats. Back when the 72 Dolphins were playing, you could basically mug a reciever at the line of scrimmage. The Pats feast on teams with short quick passes because of rules that disallow teams to touch a reciever after 5 yards. There was no such rule then. Eliminating that rule alone would destroy the Patriots' chance to beat the 72 Dolphins.

The Coboys would be much tougher. But again, rules were changed by then regarding how far down field you could touch the reciever, how hard you could hit the QB, HOW you hit the QB,etc. Dallas would be the toughest team because, like I already said, thier O-Line and Emmitt. But I still think, all things being equal, Miami would beat them. It would be an awesome game. Too bad this is all mere speculation.

I can't believe the 72 Phins don't get more respect. I will say this once again. PERFECTION. I don't care what is said about ease of schedules. No one has done it before or since. This should speak volumes.

Back
Top Bottom