8-12-18 Training Camp Day 11 | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8-12-18 Training Camp Day 11

How anyone can watch that Tampa tape and want fitz anywhere other than safety is beyond me. He shredded it.

This is what it comes down to for me. Not only did he demonstrate that he has the range for free safety - a position where we basically have nothing else on the roster - but he looked REALLY damn good in doing it. It's one thing to see that you have a versatile player and try to maximize value, and it's another thing to stick with this insane idea Matt Burke has that he doesn't need a rangy ballhawk back there at all.

Yeah I'm very worried at this point.... or Howard is the second coming of revis lol

If I’m worried about anything it’s that he didn’t appear to be in the progression. But we are talking 6 pass plays.

One of those plays was a drop out zone too forcing the dump off. So really 5. And another one was a motion based sticks concept where the motion created the sticks primary with stills

There might have been another predetermined throw also. Yeah a wr screen to amendola I believe.

So what I’m saying is pump the brakes folks. He looked fine in his stem. And that’s big for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
X got beat inside on one play by mike Evans. Mike Evans can play. The first ball against x was a function of the coverage call more than anything else. He did well in that coverage vs that route to almost get there when the ball did. It was a nice read and throw by fitzpatrick also.

With minkahs range you could put him at safety and roll him towards your 2nd boundary weakness. Ask x to lock down the other side. Take tj off the field and put mccain in the slot. McCain’s top 5 paid he needs to be able to handle 2 way goes and Miami could run lbs underneath of any legit slot based on sticks.

I’d like to see some looks like this in the next few games to see how it fares. I’m sure they won’t show any rolled hand however.

Sure I love versatility but I love that range feel and nose for the ball and instincts at safety and hell for 202 lbs he pops more than you’d expect as a safety also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owusu … the kid has some talent. Big, fast … just too raw at this point, and it's been a few years, so his time is running out. But, if someone could take that athlete and help him become a receiver … there's a lot of potential there.
He made some fantastic adjustments on the ball in the last game for being so raw.

Thank you, @Digital.

Has Parker lived up to his draft slot? Hell to the no

But he hasn’t been worthless crap, and he has a skill set that is hard to match.

You know what sounds worse than Parker, amendola, stills, Grant as your top four?

Amendola, stills, Grant, ford as your top four.

There are plenty of receivers on the squad that have game but not a single one of them can high point a ball and occupy a #1 corner the way that Devante Parker can. Am I saying you go resign Parker to a large contract and keep him here? No, not right now. But him and his potential simply being on the field is an integral part of this offense, and every defense we play has to keep tabs on him. He’s annoyingly incosistent, but his ability to make tough catches on #1 perimeter defenders is unmatched by any other WR (I’m not talking gesicki) on this team. Of course you can upgrade from Devante Parker, but it takes either money or a day 1-2 draft pick. You don’t just throw him away for nothing

You left off Wilson off that list which could be very important this year. Why because all 5 of those guys you listed have all got a long history of getting nicked up enough that it has affected their performance and consistenty in games. This is where Laundry will be missed unless a guy like a Wilson can step up and be that safty blankett for RT. These recievers are talented enough.
Also I should add that RT has not been a Tom Brady in the past and just tosses the ball to who ever is open but needs that consistent reciever to find his rythem.

He made some fantastic adjustments on the ball in the last game for being so raw.
Absolutely. If he gets his press-release, route running and separation down, he's got the natural physical ability to excel.

You left off Wilson off that list which could be very important this year. Why because all 5 of those guys you listed have all got a long history of getting nicked up enough that it has affected their performance and consistenty in games. This is where Laundry will be missed unless a guy like a Wilson can step up and be that safty blankett for RT. These recievers are talented enough.
Also I should add that RT has not been a Tom Brady in the past and just tosses the ball to who ever is open but needs that consistent reciever to find his rythem.
Agreed, with so many injury-prone WR's, I get the feeling we need to get them all worked in this pre-season, because we're bound to have some injuries. On the plus side, we're very deep at WR going into the season. On the minus side, we'll need that depth before it's all finished.

Chambers was also dealing with the likes of Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfells, and other dogshit qbs.
Good point. After he left Miami he played 2.5 years with Phillip Rivers and he was able to up his catch % all the way to 48.4% with Rivers chucking him the pig.

Seriously, it seemed Chambers thought his hands were located somewhere in his stomach.

"Chris Chambers has been criticized for years for sloppy play and dodgy concentration, which have led to a plethora of dropped balls. His work ethic is highly questionable, and many scouts have recognized that when he gets discouraged, his focus completely disappears."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2910-chris-chambers-to-san-diego-a-big-mistake-for-the-chargers

"Chambers was plagued by a case of the drops this season, and seemed to fall out of favor with the coaching staff."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ceiver-chambers-released-2009nov02-story.html

Last edited:
Haven't heard that much positive out of camp about Parker.

But that's just what it is. Camp.

I've paid attention to the camp scuttlebutt too many times in the past, and it ultimately had nothing to do with what happened in Game 1, or any part of the regular season.

If you want to hang on to every tweet, go right ahead. But it likely will not hold true when the bullets start to fly.

I read Omar tweet that Xavien Howard batted down every ball intended for Parker today.

I also read where he made a great try at a poorly thrown ball (bounced off his fingertips), and then caught two passes in a row in one drive.

You aren't getting the full story folks. And it doesn't even matter.

Check back with me after the Tennessee game and we'll chat about this.

And the Chambers thing is ridiculous. He invited Parker, Parker declined. I don't have any further details. For all I know, Parker had Jerry Rice in his backyard every day tutoring him for 14 hours.

You are correct: Chambers wasn't great, but he was very good. I mean, we haven't really had a receiver play at his level since he left. In this offense a player with Chambers' skillset would be Tannehill's best friend. That's what makes Parker so frustrating. We all know he has the talent, but he just doesn't seem motivated to go for it every day...or ANY day for that matter.

B.Marshall was by far the best receiver we've had here in many years, imo he was definitely better overall than Chambers...just a complete shame that Philbin gutted our best talent on both sides of the ball the same year Tanne arrived....

B.Marshall was by far the best receiver we've had here in many years, imo he was definitely better overall than Chambers...just a complete shame that Philbin gutted our best talent on both sides of the ball the same year Tanne arrived....
Absolutely agree. The guy did what receivers are supposed to do: get open, catch the ball. Since then, all our receivers have trouble with the 1st task already.
Marshall was so good, I remember a play when the great Dan Henning called a play-action on 3rd and 9 against the Steelers dime defense and Marshall was the only one running a route. Everybody else from the Dolphins stayed in to block. It was Marshall against six Steelers defenders. Of course he would not get open against six but the coach thought it was a good idea. :meh

As a player Marshall was impressive. His final bowl game against my alma mater it was clear he was a man playing against boys and I was hoping Miami would draft him.

However he had a mood disorder (BPD) that negatively affected the team and he was showing it during games. Having Marshall and Incognito as offensive leaders must have been something else.

Back
Top Bottom