8/7 Scrimmage Updates | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8/7 Scrimmage Updates

i just calculated his QB rating for the scrimmage, 80.4.

I'm really not worried about RT's quarterback rating in a scrimmage, or in the preseason, when there's no gameplan and 90 players on the roster

The good news is we got out of there with no new injuries to guys that are gonna play for us...

I think the 2016 draft needs to look like this:

Rd.1 - O-Line
Rd.2 - O-Line
Rd.3 - O-Line
Rd.4 - O-Line
Rd.5 - O-Line
Rd.6 - O-Line
Rd.7 - O-Line

Then sign 10 o-linemen in free agency. We need to get our damn o-line fixed once and for all!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From last years scrimmage

[video=youtube;YRm2MfJB4Kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=55&v=YRm2MfJB4Kg[/video]

And a blast from the past

[video=youtube;X1QslQTBA6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=77&v=X1QslQTBA6g[/video]

Thank you everyone for posting all the scrimmage notes.

[video=youtube;OY08GjsVO8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=OY08GjsVO8Y[/video]

I did not see the scrimmage. But from the tweets, here are a few thoughts:

OL
* When Suh puts forth full effort, he is ready for the season to begin. That means he is a nightmare 1v1, so we need to evaluate Turner differently vs. Suh 1v1 compared to Turner vs. anyone else 1v1. Still, Turner got housed so thoroughly and soooooo repeatedly, it is quite concerning. Lots of people saw his athleticism and frame and thought he was an immediate plug and play gem ... but many of us cautioned that he didn't have great technique and the jump up in level of competition would take time. Well, even if he were ready for NFL competition ... which he does not seem to be yet ... it is yet another step up in competition level to be asked to handle Suh 1v1. So, when he loses, just realize, this is neither typical nor permanent. He is getting lots of teaching points.

* Dallas Thomas has shown that he cannot stop pressures against NFL competition at guard. While Turner was behind Thomas last year, I think it's time to give the learning opportunities to Turner and see if he can become a contributor. Because we have given many of them to Thomas, and we know he is not the answer.

* We didn't really hear much about Jamil Douglas. That's a great thing! It sounds like our rookie must be doing OK. One word of caution though. Veterans typically cruise through these things at 3/4 speed. They are primarily concerned with avoiding injuries, secondarily concerned with performing well. That is because they know their starting spot is not in dispute, so they are saving themselves for the season. Still, it sounds like Douglas acquitted himself well for a mid round rookie, and that's a great thing to hear.

* Fox, James and even Linkenbach seemed competent at OT. I wonder how much of that was Wake and Vernon going at 3/4 speed?

WR & TE
* Jennings clearly was more concerned with not getting injured than needing to prove anything in the scrimmage, and it sounds as though it showed. I'm perfectly OK with that. Ditto for Landry.

* DB play was very good and not many great plays from the fringe competition WR's.

* Jordan Cameron is a mismatch weapon. We didn't hear his name much in "pajamas" (Jason Taylor's term for it), but once the pads have come on, Cameron's talent is clear. EVERY time we play against Sheppard, EVERY tight end is a mismatch. But, there is no bigger mismatch than Cameron vs. Sheppard, so to me, this is a play that has to be made. And it was, for a TD. Cameron added another TD on limited targets tonight. Pads come on, real football players begin to shine. If he stays healthy, Cameron will be a big upgrade over Clay.

RB
* Most of our RB success came when our OL sprung open holes. No surprise. Honestly, we're not very good at that, and Lazor isn't using scheme against our defense yet, he is just getting some bread and butter practice. Much of our running success came when our OL went against the 2nd team defense or a 1st team with some 2nd teamers mixed in. All of these guys can run, but we don't really have guys who can power through non-existent holes. Larry Csonka would be unstoppable behind any OL, even this one. But there was only one Larry Csonka made, and they broke the mold. We don't really have a power back, so all of these guys depend on Lazor to scheme them into the secondary, or our OL to blow open some holes ... which doesn't happen often. Once in the secondary, everything looked as expected. The defense keyed on Lamar Miller, and stopped him cold. Of the guys vying for the other spots, LaMichael James is the fastest and quickest, Ajayi is a little of everything, and Damien Williams has the most power.

DL
* Suh is dominant. Trying to block him 1v1 is going to result in a lot of penetration. Trying to block him with a raw kid with poor technique is going to get your QB killed. Fortunately, Suh understands this is his teammate and it's only a scrimmage. In a real game, we might have been playing MBT by the 4th quarter.

* Everyone else seemed to be on cruise control to avoid injury. A few flashes, but mostly just taking advantage of poor OL play. Our DL looked dominant without even trying.

LB
* Nice to hear about most of the LB's making some positive plays, including some bubble guys like Vigil and Hull.

* Fingers crossed Jenkins isn't really hurt.

* Overall, this unit does not look to be a problem unit with the exception of slow footed MLB's like Sheppard. I'm still wondering why Tripp isn't given more opportunity at Mike. He seems like the type of young guy Coyle would want there, leader, disruptive, great range, can blitz, can play all 3 roles allowing for other players to overload blitz, and he is a leader and organizer who can QB the defense. And most importantly, he wouldn't be burnt toast in coverage any time the opposing team wanted to make a play.

DB
* LOTS of competition here, and it shows! Nobody coasting on their laurels here ... too many quality players nipping at their heels! We may not have a real strength in the DB's, but it's looking more and more like we have a solid and deep young group here that will carry us through the season. Well done!

* Bobby McCain ... I told ya he was going to surprise some people. I'm glad it's beginning to happen. But, you need to think of him the way you think of Seattle's corners. While Seattle has big press man guys, and Bobby McCain is a small guy, they play the same way, very physically because they lack the recovery speed. So, yes, he is going to push the limits of PI, and sometimes get called, but he will also get away with it a lot, break up a lot of things, and snag a few INT's by playing that way. This kid knows how to get to the ball, and that's something we sorely need IMHO.

* Brice McCain has really proved to be every bit as good as we had hoped. He is making it hard for Bobby McCain, Lippett, Bowman and many of the corners fighting for a chance to make the roster, because Brice McCain seems to show up every day.

* Grimes .... still Optimus Grimes.

* Safeties, they didn't distinguish themselves, but the veterans are entrenched and probably being cautious.

OVERALL
* QB. I was impressed with Tannehill's resiliency. Yeah, he threw a couple of picks, one probably wasn't even his fault, but he came back fearless each time. He didn't quit when his OL went AWOL. He didn't fold when he got picked. He didn't shy away when the pass rush came (but he did realize he wasn't actually going to be slobberknockered so that one doesn't really count). He didn't give up on any teammate. He didn't shift blame away, he took responsibility. Tannehill stepped up. Tannehill fought back. Tannehill strided through adversity with his chin up, chest out, and continued to make plays. I was impressed at how he handled adversity.

* Defense. Coyle has these guys playing and learning. We're getting penetration, pursuit, coverage and tackling. For this point of the preseason there were surprisingly few blown assignments. Technique seems to be strong and teaching seems to be everywhere. Kudos to the defensive staff.

* Offense. It all starts with the OL. It all fails with the weakest links. Our run game was 100% dependent upon our OL doing their jobs. Fortunately, we generated a passing game despite the OL not doing their jobs.

* Most importantly, nobody seems to be seriously hurt (knock on wood). Fingers crossed for Jenkins and Fox.

* Thanks to all of the posters who relayed the tweets.

* Thanks to FIU for what appears to be a very successful event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom