8/9 Training Camp Recap. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8/9 Training Camp Recap.

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Through Omar's eyes:

This snapping issues people have with Mike Pouncey appear to be nothing more than talk. He's a pretty solid snapper based on 1st week's work

Daniel Thomas just produced a respectable draw. I sense the D-line is wearing down.

Quinton Spears just tackled Nic Grigsby for a loss during 11-on-11. Grigsby responds by busting a decent run on next snap.

Austin Spitler and Marc Colombo just got into it for a few seconds. Team split them up before it got nasty.

Matt Moore just threw a nice out to Roberto Wallace, who is being used in the same role as Marshall, moving around.

Lousaka Polite Is working with the first-team line now as the lead blocker for Daniel Thomas. Maybe it's package driven.

Lousaka Polite is working with the third team unit today for the record.

I'm starting to conclude Lousaka Polite is in the danger zone. Charles Clay taking plenty of his reps. Just saw Polite drop passes.

Daniel Thomas just busted out a respectable run behind Garner and Jerry, the right side of the 2nd team O-line.

Reggie Bush gets tackled for a loss by Dansby and Misi on a run outside the left tackle.

Nice cut back run by Reggie Bush. There was a hole opened up on the inside by Mike Pouncey, who washed Soliai away.

I find it a bit off that Kory Sheets isn't being used as a kickoff returner. He better get a role on special teams or he won't make gameday.

Brian Hartline just caught a nice pass over Nolan Carroll during 7-on-7.

Full report here:

Not looking good for Polite and Sheets apparently. I also wouldn't be surprised if Merling is traded during the regular season. Overall Dolphins seem to be a lot more active, creative, and exciting on offense this year than last season.

Not looking good for Polite and Sheets apparently. I also wouldn't be surprised if Merling is traded during the regular season. Overall Dolphins seem to be a lot more active, creative, and exciting on offense this year than last season.

I'm starting to believe Polite's time might be limited, I would move Lex to FB (and of course let him run the ball sometimes too)

How would you guys feel about a RB stable of:

Bush, Thomas, Grigsby at RB
Hilliard at FB

I think Grigsby might be the end of Sheets

I'm starting to believe Polite's time might be limited, I would move Lex to FB (and of course let him run the ball sometimes too)

How would you guys feel about a RB stable of:

Bush, Thomas, Grigsby at RB
Hilliard at FB

I think Grigsby might be the end of Sheets

I wouldn't mind...If Polite isn't producing, I wouldn't be upset if he's replaced...despite what he's done in the past.

I'm pretty sure BAMAPHIN 22 or w/e posted this exact thing earlier titled "twitter quotes" or something. Just pointing that out.

I've seen a lot of players get overrated and blown up into legends around here... Kory Sheets and Polite are right up there with the best of 'em...

I said Nic Grigsby was the end of Kory Sheets the day he was signed... they need to give Polite's job to Charles Clay and move the hell on.

Charles Clay's skill set reminds me a bit of Keith Byars. If he turns out to be half as good as Byars, I'll be thrilled.

I've seen a lot of players get overrated and blown up into legends around here... Kory Sheets and Polite are right up there with the best of 'em...

I said Nic Grigsby was the end of Kory Sheets the day he was signed... they need to give Polite's job to Charles Clay and move the hell on.

How can you compare sheets and polite? Lol

Has sheets even played a down in the nfl yet. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Clay looks like he can be a monster. Averaging 5 yards a carry and almost 14 yards per reception in his college years. WOW!

Polite has us spoiled on picking up those 3rd and ones. Its really not as easy as he makes it look, just watch any random Steelers game who are batting like 50% on them. We must be close to 100%, why on earth would you give that up?

Polite has us spoiled on picking up those 3rd and ones. Its really not as easy as he makes it look, just watch any random Steelers game who are batting like 50% on them. We must be close to 100%, why on earth would you give that up?

Well, because quite frankly... it's just another completely overrated and irrelevant statistic that the majority of the fanbase hangs onto because they're just desperate for something positive to hang their hat on in order to create another message board legend...

Where exactly is it getting Miami for Polite to be converting 3rd and 1 at that "incredible" rate over the past 2 years? I'll tell you.... it hasn't gotten Miami anywhere, and it's not going to. Hell, the only statistic that I've seen thrown around here that's more useless or irrelevant is Mark Sanchez's dropped interception statistic.... but that goes back to the desperation thing again....

Fact is, converting short yardage situations is about the push by the interior of your offensive line, always has been and always will be. If you get the push, most any back that's capable of even getting yards after contact on his own will convert at a rate that's plenty good. Polite running into the backside of his offensive lineman and falling forward for half a yard isn't as spectacular as everyone makes it. A QB sneak will typically be just as successful.... like I said, those situations are about getting lower than the guy across from you. Whichever side accomplishes this is going to win just about everytime.

The more important statistic is the rate at which you stay out of 3rd and long situations, and secondly, if you are in 3rd and long situations.... the rate at which you convert them. The most successful offenses and teams stay out of 3rd and long situations, or convert 3rd and long situations at a higher rate than bad offenses do. That boils down to quarterback play.

How do you stay out of 3rd and long situations? Simple. By being better and more efficient on 1st and 2nd down... that's how.

Polite can't help Miami there.... Charles Clay can.

If you like links, here's one that explains exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/2010-nfl-staying-out-of-3rd-long-stats-conversion-rates/

Pay attention to the teams that stay out of 3rd and long situations, and the teams that convert them into 1st downs when they are in 3rd and long. The Steelers and Packers played each other in the superbowl last year... neither got there on the heels of a message board legend converting 3rd and 1.

Back
Top Bottom