85 Dolphins vs. Bears on youtube | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

85 Dolphins vs. Bears on youtube

ReyArturo78

Rookie
Reaction score
I know this is a seemingly random topic since its not about Brandon Marshal, Ginn, or the draft, but I was talking with a friend yesterday about our beloved dolphins and the Jets came up, led to Rex, led to Buddy, led to 85 Dolphins versus the Bears so on and on...

Anyway, I realized that I was 6 years old at the time and never saw that game so I Google "85 Dolphins Bears" and was happy to see that the entire game is there broken up into three parts. Well I start watching and imagine my surprise and EXTREME disappointment when I realize shortly after, that the game is OBVIOUSLY just Bears highlights. If you watch the 30 minutes of game on youtube, you'd think the Dolphins got blown out. Its irritating to see Bears touchdown after touchdown and Marino getting sacked time and time again. Not a SINGLE Dolphins touchdown is shown!

The whole reason I Googled the game was to see how Marino beat the 46 blitzes, and they don't even show any completions other than a few short gainers and one long one which Duper fumbles.

I think some one needs to upload the Dolphins side of that game, set the story straight, and end this great injustice. Oh, and when they do, PLEASE let me know so I can finally see that game.

funny you post this, going through my collection today, i watched the second half..vhs quality but great hangover tv... Marino already had an extra hundred yards on the bears half way thru the third quarter...our o line was doing a fine job and our defense was playing great... defeating the bears and keeping the perfect season... just leaves ya all warm and fuzzy inside. Damn, i can't wait for this season to get underway already. Go Fins.

I've watched the '85 Bears game and then watched the '06 Bears game. Both times the Bears were undefeated, high as a kite, thinking they couldn't be beaten.
Well we all know the end results.
But watching both games you can see a similarity of each team. The 85 & 06 Bears both had a swagger about them. Very much alike.
And the Dolphins, both 85 and 06, had this "not in my lifetime" attitude.
Both games are awesome to watch. I highly recommend it.

I'll put it on YouTube, broken down into quarters and showing every play, like a coaches film, but it might take a while. I've done similar with some old Canes games from the '80s.

Thanks. It would be great to finally watch that game. Although more importantly, the blasphemy of taking away all the credit from the Dolphins by showing only the Bear's good plays would be atoned for. That game along with the 06 game are proud moments for Dolphin fans and I was appalled when I watched that and saw that there wasn't a SINGLE good play from the Dolphins on that video. The only indication of the Dolphins winning that game came in a brief shot of the score board which showed the dolphins up 34 - 24 and then the last of the three parts which is the press conference after the game.

If any of you watch it on youtube let me know if you also felt indignant or if It's just me. I mean that 30 minute span makes those Dolphins look like b*tches, when from my understanding, we TOTALLY DOMINATED the Bears in that game.

I watched the game and the Fins had the bears number. We would not be denied the win. It was a great win and I agree the Fins do not get much respect. The NFL network should replay that game now and then. The only perfect team beat the team that would have been unbeaten.

I put one segment from that game on YouTube today, Early First Quarter action that ends with the game tied at 7-7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVHEG2WR64

I intended one video per quarter but there was too much going on in the first, notably the noise from the closed west end zone of the Orange Bowl when Chicago threatened after a deep pass to Willie Gault. Frank Gifford twice used the word ridiculous when Bears QB Steve Fuller had to back away while trying to call signals.

I'll put up more videos of that game but I'm not sure about the timetable. Editing to fit inside the 10 minute YouTube window can be a monotonous chore.

I was at that game. First game I ever went to. Another thing I bet they don't show is the Bears having to wait 5 minutes to get a play off because the crowd was deafening.

I put one segment from that game on YouTube today, Early First Quarter action that ends with the game tied at 7-7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVHEG2WR64

I intended one video per quarter but there was too much going on in the first, notably the noise from the closed west end zone of the Orange Bowl when Chicago threatened after a deep pass to Willie Gault. Frank Gifford twice used the word ridiculous when Bears QB Steve Fuller had to back away while trying to call signals.

I'll put up more videos of that game but I'm not sure about the timetable. Editing to fit inside the 10 minute YouTube window can be a monotonous chore.

I'm thanking you once for this because the board doesn't allow me to thank you 10 times. Great job. Always have wanted to see this game.

Three observations:

1. Boy was Mike Charles fired up for this game. All over the field.

2. What ever happened to quarterbacks dropping back parallel to the line of scrimmage? You'd think in a game as horizontally oriented as it is today it'd be useful from a technique standpoint. Plus play action was more common then and dropping back that way is a big tell for the defense. Weird.

3. Frank Gifford was very much the wrong announcer for a game like this. Stiff and nonplussed, like how Joe Buck is now. Not saying you need Gus Johnson out there but football is a game of violent emotional mood swings. His call of "Moore... goes in," which I've heard before in highlights, doesn't come close to standing up to the moment. If I'm not mistaken this game was in the transition from the early days of Cossell, Dandy Don and Co. to the Al Michaels era. The change has been a welcome one.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the rest. Drive on, brother man. Preach that word!

Needless to say, I can't wait for the rest. Drive on, brother man. Preach that word!

I'll have the remainder of the first quarter up tomorrow.

You're right about the awkward announcing. 1985 was the only year with the trio of Gifford at play by play and Namath and Simpson on color. It was Namath's only season, period. Simpson and Namath were dropped prior to 1986 while Gifford switched to color as Al Michaels joined the crew. They went with only two commentators in '86, before Dierdorf began in '87.

Gifford didn't have to do too much with Cosell and Meredith on hand. They were dynamic enough to jump in after the play, or even during the play, and carry the broadcast. Cosell would have been exclaiming late during Moore's TD catch and run.

Thanks for the second clip. I can't wait for more because I know this next quarter is really going to be truly awesome.

Back
Top Bottom