A Bit Of A Contrarian View... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Bit Of A Contrarian View...

Well that's kind of my point. When you have the problems this team has had with the OL, and you need 5 guys to fill it out, and you invest in six guys over the span of 7 years... you see where I'm going with this? You gotta devote resources to a problem area if you actually want to fix it.

Agreed, although that’s not including all the FA guys, which have also largely been ineffective. My broader point is that it doesn’t seem like it’s been ignored, but grossly mismanaged. If we hit on the day two picks and get at least some outside help, I don’t think we are in this perpetual mediocrity that we’ve experienced over the last decade with our OL.

Again, that's what I'm getting at. The "FA Guys" we've brought in have been bums on their last legs. Even Sitton is an old guy who's been battling injuries the last few seasons. Jermon Bushrod, Ted Larsen, the corpse of Tyson Clabo, etc... Those have been our FA offensive line signings.

Its a fair point, but the problem is: Gase built this team.

This isnt his first year. He had every opportunity to improve our ****ty Oline, but he feels that he is so smart, he can just scheme his way around a bad oline.

Pass denied!

Gase has shown he is a fine game day coach. Philbin took a team that looked better than the opponent many times and lost. Gase's teams routinely look worse than the opponent and find a way to win. But the reason why the team looks less talented than the opponent is because you could field a pretty darn good starting lineup just from players he cast aside or couldn't make work. It's hard to improve your talent level when you are generally spending a great deal of your FA and draft energy merely filling holes that you created.

We are actually 2-2 missing our starting QB. And aside from Sitton, our oline has been relatively intact with the exception of a quarter in Cinny and maybe a half at best against the Jets.
Sorry, Kilgore went out after Sitton (and Brendel was injured).

Swanson is our third string center.

It's not exciting to the fantasy football crowd but I would not mind the next draft to have everyone at 265 lbs or more...although i was pretty titillated that Fitz fell to us.

Well that quarter in Cincy cost the Fins a Win and their starting QB... Kinda significant if you ask me...

I'll give you that, in fact, even if you discount any periods of time where both Tunsil and James have not been on the field at the same time, it still doesnt explain the anemic performance on offense (Aside from the trick plays)

Gase has shown he is a fine game day coach. Philbin took a team that looked better than the opponent many times and lost. Gase's teams routinely look worse than the opponent and find a way to win. But the reason why the team looks less talented than the opponent is because you could field a pretty darn good starting lineup just from players he cast aside or couldn't make work. It's hard to improve your talent level when you are generally spending a great deal of your FA and draft energy merely filling holes that you created.
I agree in part. Not so sure about the first part though. I think Gase spends way too much time on offensive playcalling stuff on gameday, and despite that, we are still a bottom of the league NFL offense.

We actually HAD a great possession receiver that never got hurt. While I like Wilson, it is pretty apparent this offense misses Landry more than anyone wants to admit.

I agree in part. Not so sure about the first part though. I think Gase spends way too much time on offensive playcalling stuff on gameday, and despite that, we are still a bottom of the league NFL offense.

We actually HAD a great possession receiver that never got hurt. While I like Wilson, it is pretty apparent this offense misses Landry more than anyone wants to admit.

Well, the playcalling is not something I'm always enthused about. I'm just more looking at the overall when it comes to wins and losses as well as the ability of the team to take advantage of opportunities to actually win games.

It's not exciting to the fantasy football crowd but I would not mind the next draft to have everyone at 265 lbs or more...although i was pretty titillated that Fitz fell to us.

It would be a dream to have a draft enable us to actually provide the protection needed to utilize weapons like Parker, Stills, Grant, Wilson, and Drake, plus protect and keep healthy a QB who actually has the ability to get the ball to them when provided with time.

... we are fielding an all-practice squad OL at this point

Marino could not look good with all the pressure our QB is getting

Shula could not find a workable play with no OL push to rely on (Remember he had HOF linemen through a significant portion of his career)

How are you going to convert a 3rd-and-short on the ground with the defense stacked and no OL push? I tend to think Gase reached the point today where he had to try to find a play, ANY play, to shake things loose.

This is the ugliest 5-4 team I have EVER seen and without bodies now, it is only going to get worse. We had people on here complaining that Gase could not outcoach Belichick ... WITH WHO?

Shula was spoiled. By design.

Crusan and Norm at the tackles. Big Larry and Cheerful Bob at guards. And Jim at center. That’s two (Bob should make it three) HOF linemen.

Later, Dwight, Ed and (still) Cheerful Bob at guards, John and Erik at the tackles.

That’s a pair of pretty damn good lines. Hence, the success.

Today? Oh, man....

Shula was spoiled. By design.

Crusan and Norm at the tackles. Big Larry and Cheerful Bob at guards. And Jim at center. That’s two (Bob should make it three) HOF linemen.

Later, Dwight, Ed and (still) Cheerful Bob at guards, John and Erik at the tackles.

That’s a pair of pretty damn good lines. Hence, the success.

Today? Oh, man....
I remember all of them.
Remember when Dwight Stephenson got injured and we played Philly the following week with an unknown center named Dellenbach?
First three offensive snaps were SACKS on Marino. Jerome Brown, Reggie White?
Sandusky, one of the all time great O-line coaches made adjustments and we ended up winning that game.
Dellenbach became our starter for a while and everything worked out fine.
That's having DEPTH on your roster.

I agree with this to a large extent. This team has basically ignored the offensive line since 2008. On offense, the Dolphins have been dominated in the trenches by most opposing teams on repeat and the team has done little to address the problem.

The only serious attempts to address the OL came with the first round selections of Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Oh, and the second round selection of Jon Martin. Outside of that, Miami hasn't really invested heavily in the OL. It's been day three picks, UDFAs, and trash heap acquisitions in free agency. Miami's one big free agent acquisition on the line during the Philbin/Gase era has been Josh Sitton. 48 year old Josh Sitton, who immediately got put on injured reserve.

The Dolphins are going to keep getting 'out-physicaled' until this is addressed seriously. Which coach or GM will finally address the issue? I don't know. Wake me in 2035.

I don’t necessarily agree. You already cited THREE first round picks we’ve invested plus the UFAs we signed. It’s not like they’ve totally ignored it like they have the QB position. Don’t even get me started on that. I think the real issue with this team are two things 1-coaching and 2-the draft. Our olines have historically been poorly coached and it continues today. Constant penalties and lack of chemistry has plagued this team. Overall coaching is a problem. I’m not a Gase fan and feel he is a divider and not a uniter. He’s also a micromanager which are the worst kind of leaders-think Philbin. He is not a great playcaller and needs a real o coordinator if he’s to be around much longer. Burke is very average. I don’t believe in this group of coaches at all.

The FO and draft are a sore spot for me as well. Don’t get me wrong I love Minkah but he wasn’t a need. We continue to ignore our obvious needs and we have issues like we saw with our all pro safety.

Our record of futility over the last 25 years says it all 197-196. So frustrating

I agree with this to a large extent. This team has basically ignored the offensive line since 2008. On offense, the Dolphins have been dominated in the trenches by most opposing teams on repeat and the team has done little to address the problem.

The only serious attempts to address the OL came with the first round selections of Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Oh, and the second round selection of Jon Martin. Outside of that, Miami hasn't really invested heavily in the OL. It's been day three picks, UDFAs, and trash heap acquisitions in free agency. Miami's one big free agent acquisition on the line during the Philbin/Gase era has been Josh Sitton. 48 year old Josh Sitton, who immediately got put on injured reserve.

The Dolphins are going to keep getting 'out-physicaled' until this is addressed seriously. Which coach or GM will finally address the issue? I don't know. Wake me in 2035.
It was one hell of a game for Sitton though!

Back
Top Bottom