A Bit Of A Contrarian View... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Bit Of A Contrarian View...

iwastherein1972

Active Roster
Reaction score
... we are fielding an all-practice squad OL at this point

Marino could not look good with all the pressure our QB is getting

Shula could not find a workable play with no OL push to rely on (Remember he had HOF linemen through a significant portion of his career)

How are you going to convert a 3rd-and-short on the ground with the defense stacked and no OL push? I tend to think Gase reached the point today where he had to try to find a play, ANY play, to shake things loose.

This is the ugliest 5-4 team I have EVER seen and without bodies now, it is only going to get worse. We had people on here complaining that Gase could not outcoach Belichick ... WITH WHO?

... we are fielding an all-practice squad OL at this point

Marino could not look good with all the pressure our QB is getting

Shula could not find a workable play with no OL push to rely on (Remember he had HOF linemen through a significant portion of his career)

How are you going to convert a 3rd-and-short on the ground with the defense stacked and no OL push? I tend to think Gase reached the point today where he had to try to find a play, ANY play, to shake things loose.

This is the ugliest 5-4 team I have EVER seen and without bodies now, it is only going to get worse. We had people on here complaining that Gase could not outcoach Belichick ... WITH WHO?

Its a fair point, but the problem is: Gase built this team.

This isnt his first year. He had every opportunity to improve our shitty Oline, but he feels that he is so smart, he can just scheme his way around a bad oline.

Pass denied!

My problem with Gase isnt his play calling, it is his poor management of personnel.

The guy seems like a good offensive coordinator but also seems like a below average head coach.

Shows alot of parity in the NFL. A few elite teams, a handful of good ones and everyone else.

Its a fair point, but the problem is: Gase built this team.

This isnt his first year. He had every opportunity to improve our ****ty Oline, but he feels that he is so smart, he can just scheme his way around a bad oline.

Pass denied!
Gase didnt build this team with the intention to have 25% of it on IR at half way point... And dont talk to me about depth, 90% of football team have depth issues all around their football team.... Regardeless... Fins are 5-4 missing their starting QB... that in itself is says alot about his coaching ability...

I agree with this to a large extent. This team has basically ignored the offensive line since 2008. On offense, the Dolphins have been dominated in the trenches by most opposing teams on repeat and the team has done little to address the problem.

The only serious attempts to address the OL came with the first round selections of Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Oh, and the second round selection of Jon Martin. Outside of that, Miami hasn't really invested heavily in the OL. It's been day three picks, UDFAs, and trash heap acquisitions in free agency. Miami's one big free agent acquisition on the line during the Philbin/Gase era has been Josh Sitton. 48 year old Josh Sitton, who immediately got put on injured reserve.

The Dolphins are going to keep getting 'out-physicaled' until this is addressed seriously. Which coach or GM will finally address the issue? I don't know. Wake me in 2035.

I think Gase is good at designing plays, but terrible at calling them during the games. If he could get a good OC to call plays on game day we'd probably be in good shape. There is no chance of this happening however. Also the sight of him isolating himself on the bench during the game was quite disturbing imo.

My problem with Gase isnt his play calling, it is his poor management of personnel.

The guy seems like a good offensive coordinator but also seems like a below average head coach.

When he was hired, most people realized he was going to make a lot of mistakes. I really do not understand how anyone can be surprised that we struggles to direct the staff. The concept of “trust but verify” is difficult to do well when you do not have experience on the defensive side of the ball. Further, he is a little too deep into the playbook. It takes away from managing the personnel. I do not mind his desire to call the plays during the game, but I do mind that he is not in control of his staff.

Gase didnt build this team with the intention to have 25% of it on IR at half way point... And dont talk to me about depth, 90% of football team have depth issues all around their football team.... Regardeless... Fins are 5-4 missing their starting QB... that in itself is says alot about his coaching ability...

We are actually 2-2 missing our starting QB. And aside from Sitton, our oline has been relatively intact with the exception of a quarter in Cinny and maybe a half at best against the Jets.

I agree with this to a large extent. This team has basically ignored the offensive line since 2008. On offense, the Dolphins have been dominated in the trenches by most opposing teams on repeat and the team has done little to address the problem.

The only serious attempts to address the OL came with the first round selections of Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Oh, and the second round selection of Jon Martin. Outside of that, Miami hasn't really invested heavily in the OL. It's been day three picks, UDFAs, and trash heap acquisitions in free agency. Miami's one big free agent acquisition on the line during the Philbin/Gase era has been Josh Sitton. 48 year old Josh Sitton, who immediately got put on injured reserve.

The Dolphins are going to keep getting 'out-physicaled' until this is addressed seriously. Which coach or GM will finally address the issue? I don't know. Wake me in 2035.

Since 2014, we’ve invested 2 first rounders, a third, fourth, and fifth round picks on OL.
Since 2011, those numbers go up to 3 first rounders, one second, two thirds, a fourth and a fifth.

That’s 6 players in the first two days of the draft over the last 7 years. I think the issue lies in the fact that aside from those three first rounders (Tunsil, James, and Pouncey) the rest have been huge failures. Like Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner sized failures. Which you might expect from your day three guys, but we’ve missed on 3 guys in rounds 2 and 3 that could have been critical to a successful OL.

We are actually 2-2 missing our starting QB. And aside from Sitton, our oline has been relatively intact with the exception of a quarter in Cinny and maybe a half at best against the Jets.
Well that quarter in Cincy cost the Fins a Win and their starting QB... Kinda significant if you ask me...

I remember reading an article or blurb that said Marino was behind a line consisting of all backups one season, and he still barely got sacked.

Since 2014, we’ve invested 2 first rounders, a third, fourth, and fifth round picks on OL.
Since 2011, those numbers go up to 3 first rounders, one second, two thirds, a fourth and a fifth.

That’s 6 players in the first two days of the draft over the last 7 years. I think the issue lies in the fact that aside from those three first rounders (Tunsil, James, and Pouncey) the rest have been huge failures. Like Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner sized failures. Which you might expect from your day three guys, but we’ve missed on 3 guys in rounds 2 and 3 that could have been critical to a successful OL.

Well that's kind of my point. When you have the problems this team has had with the OL, and you need 5 guys to fill it out, and you invest in six guys over the span of 7 years... you see where I'm going with this? You gotta devote resources to a problem area if you actually want to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom