A Case for drafting LB @ 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Case for drafting LB @ 20

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
Miami IMO has serious issues at LB

This year, presently, we have five LBs - Thomas, Seau, Greenwood, Moore and Jenkins.

Of thos guys, Moore has never played in the NFL, and Jenkins is a talented project.

Primarily we need more depth.

After next season though, I can only see us with three of those guys (minus Greenwood and Seau).

Drafting DJ Williams or Jonathan Vilma at 20 would be a great move IMO. DJ is an OLB, and Jon can play both inside and out. Both can learn from great LBs. Seau, one of the greatest but now in decline, and Zach in his prime. Either one will be able to come in, contribute on ST and provide great depth this year, and then start next.

IMO there are few guys in the draft who can come in and start immediately, given our WIN NOW attitude. There are a few guys on the Oline and Sean Taylor. Of course if Andrews is there we will take him, but if not we should seriously be looking linebacker.

I agree, but I would like to see them trade out of the 20 spot and take one of the other LBs in the 1st third of the second round. For me, trading our 1st and third to get two picks in the top third of the second round makes sense.

We should be able to get one of the guards and a very good LB. I don't think we get that with the 20th and 87th picks.

The other alternative is a deal for Ogunleye that gets us early picks.

A LB at #20 is a viable fallback plan, but it shouldn't be our first option. The OL is a bigger need right now, there's just no getting around that, and if Andrews is there, we've got to take him, as you rightly suggest.
The second priority has to be a move down. If Andrews isn't there, there's not likely to be a player there at a position where we need help right away. I'd love to move down, as FinfaninBuffalo suggests, to pick up a pair of second rounders.
If a move down fails, then DJ Williams should be the pick.

Well, unless this is a big ruse by RS, he seems to be content with Whitley/Jerman at guard and St. Clair at RT until McI returns....that being said I don't think he targets a OL in the first. He seems to be backing away from Andrews...It might be the question marks around him, I do know, but that would mean that a LB is not out of the question. Especially if we get to #20, no one wants to make a viable trade down where we get into the top of the 2nd round, and Vilma or Williams might be an alternative, if they are there...but other than those two is there anyone else worth taking at #20 ??

Not at LB. Though there is a case for doing a similar thing with Starks at DT. Timbo won't last forever.

I like the fact that Rick realises we will not find starters in the draft. His comments in the press conference suggested that whilst they had done there homework on safety, wide receiver and Oline, the three positions where a rookie COULD come in and start, he may well go for defensive depth.

I don't think DJ Williams has the front line instincts to succeed in Jim Bates' scheme.

A case for not drafting a linebacker in the first round. Opening Day: Starting RG - Taylor Whitley?, Starting RT - Jon St. Clair? I think the need for an offensive lineman is more pressing.

unless the next Lawernce Taylor is available at #20...... NO MORE LINEBACKERS!!!! we need offensive line, Junior and Zach have at least two more years, by then Jenkins will be tearing it up, and hopefully glass Jaw Moore will get his stuff together.

I agree we have issues at LB, ...age, injuries, etc....but we did invest heavily there last year and we have more pressing needs elsewhere IMO.

That said, if the BEST PLAYER on the board at 20 is an LB I hope we take him. No sense in reaching with the depth in this draft.

LB? Sorry guys... you drafted LB first last year. Time to move on to another position. Find a FA LB next year or draft one then.
If Eddie Moore would have been snubbed and A. Boldin picked... I'd say, "Sure, LB IS a POSSIBILITY". But not 2 years in a row.

1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me.

No LB in round one and probably not even on day one at all.We have 2 young guys waiting in the wings and more presing needs too. I only see us going 1 of 3 ways with our first pick. o-line,WR or DT. Anything else and I'd be very surprised.

ozzy rules!!

I think we should wait a year before we draft a LB in the 1st round. Let's see what Eddie Moore has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom