A changing of the guard...miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A changing of the guard...miami

Not so sure about Byron Jones being a star. He was not a star at Texas but merely just an above average player on a bad Texas defense. I think he will be more a special team player than a starter for the Dolphins next year and only time will tell if he can be a starter down the road.
Byron Jones has been one of the best corners in the league for about 3 years now as far as stats given up when thrown at. He's legit.

Not so sure about Byron Jones being a star. He was not a star at Texas but merely just an above average player on a bad Texas defense. I think he will be more a special team player than a starter for the Dolphins next year and only time will tell if he can be a starter down the road.
Byron Jones played for the Cowboys. Maybe that's the issue with your analysis.

I think you are mixing up Byron and Brandon

I think Brandon Jones is a really solid tackler and could be Reshad Jones 2.0 in that regard not sure about his coverage skills but i think with proper coaching could be a solid player

Do you mean Brandon Jones?

The theme I took from the players drafted was the physicality they bring to the field. Jackson, Hunt, Kindley are physical football players. Miami hasn't had that as a collective group in quite sometime. Both Brandon Jones and Noah Ibinoghene are physical DB's who can tackle very well. That is a requirement in a Brian Flores defense. Strowbridge and Weaver have versatility, which we all know Flores loves in his players. So yes I believe the changing of the guard has arrived. No more Finesse, no more 5 WR sets, no more West Coast anything. Just line up and beat people up!!!

Yeah, the team will be unrecognizable from last year. This is a team that should win at least 7 or 8 games this year which is solid considering we are still in the middle of our rebuild, and a lot of the young players drafted were chosen for their upside which means they are going to need a year or two of seasoning/development. Oline is definitely better, as is the front 7 and secondary on defense. Can’t wait for the season to start...

Last season's team won 5 of the last 9 including beating the Patriots in Foxboro. By the end of the season, strictly because of the great coaching they were already playing like a 7 or 8 win team. I think adding all of this massive amount of talent should at least improve on that some. Of course, we don't know how much camp we will have and that will be a huge variable for Miami probably more than any other team. But, if they get a full camp, this team looks to have improved greatly on both sides of the ball talent wise. IMO, anything less than 9 or 10 wins and competing for a playoff spot will be a disappointment. They look like a team that will run the ball well and stuff the run with the people they added in the trenches. The secondary should be a top 10 if not 5 unit as well. That's all on paper of course. But that's all we have now. What many are missing is how well this coaching staff developed players last season. Those 5 wins were nothing short of remarkable considering that was one of the worst rosters I have ever seen in the NFL. That must go into any formula. Flores and his group show more promise than any staff in Miami in decades. Probably since JJ anyway.

Last season's team won 5 of the last 9 including beating the Patriots in Foxboro. By the end of the season, strictly because of the great coaching they were already playing like a 7 or 8 win team. I think adding all of this massive amount of talent should at least improve on that some. Of course, we don't know how much camp we will have and that will be a huge variable for Miami probably more than any other team. But, if they get a full camp, this team looks to have improved greatly on both sides of the ball talent wise. IMO, anything less than 9 or 10 wins and competing for a playoff spot will be a disappointment. They look like a team that will run the ball well and stuff the run with the people they added in the trenches. The secondary should be a top 10 if not 5 unit as well. That's all on paper of course. But that's all we have now. What many are missing is how well this coaching staff developed players last season. Those 5 wins were nothing short of remarkable considering that was one of the worst rosters I have ever seen in the NFL. That must go into any formula. Flores and his group show more promise than any staff in Miami in decades. Probably since JJ anyway.

Hey man, no one would like to see that more than I. I said at least 7 or 8 wins. That doesn’t mean we won’t win 9 or 10. :)
However, we play the AFC West this year which is not going to be easy, although Tom Brady has left, so that has probably weakened the patriots. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if our Defense was top 10. Our offense should be competent at least. People underestimate the beard we have playing QB this year. Having said that, alot of these rookies have high ceilings, but need some time to develop and will no doubt have some growing pains this year. I’m all in and looking forward to watching this season. I haven’t been this optimistic in a long time.

Hey man, no one would like to see that more than I. I said at least 7 or 8 wins. That doesn’t mean we won’t win 9 or 10. :)
However, we play the AFC West this year which is not going to be easy, although Tom Brady has left, so that has probably weakened the patriots. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if our Defense was top 10. Our offense should be competent at least. People underestimate the beard we have playing QB this year. Having said that, alot of these rookies have high ceilings, but need some time to develop and will no doubt have some growing pains this year. I’m all in and looking forward to watching this season. I haven’t been this optimistic in a long time.

There will be growing pains, I see a similar track to last year in a rough first half and a surge in the second half as guys get settled and positions/roles get figured out. But the surge should be long term as the talent influx gets established and built upon.

There will be growing pains, I see a similar track to last year in a rough first half and a surge in the second half as guys get settled and positions/roles get figured out. But the surge should be long term as the talent influx gets established and built upon.
Yup. This team is super young. We're not going to be world beaters early, but guys should get settled in as the season progresses. 2021 should be when we're really ready to see big steps forward.

Back
Top Bottom