A clinical take on Ricky.... really! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A clinical take on Ricky.... really!

SanDiegoDolphan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Im not trying to make excues for the guy but check this: My brother suffers from anxiet disorders. He once was on his way to a job interview which he had alot riding on. But he hates to fly and decided to fly there anyway. Half way to the first plane change in atlanta he had to bolt the plane because his anxiety was too much. He just blew it all and rented a car and drove back home. So if you dont have this kinda fear its hard to understand but maybe Ricky was the same way. Maybe it was just too much at the time and didnt think about the future. Just a different viewpoint for your thoughts and musing.

SanDiegoDolphan said:
Im not trying to make excues for the guy but check this: My brother suffers from anxiet disorders. He once was on his way to a job interview which he had alot riding on. But he hates to fly and decided to fly there anyway. Half way to the first plane change in atlanta he had to bolt the plane because his anxiety was too much. He just blew it all and rented a car and drove back home. So if you dont have this kinda fear its hard to understand but maybe Ricky was the same way. Maybe it was just too much at the time and didnt think about the future. Just a different viewpoint for your thoughts and musing.

I believe the whole Ricky retiring thing had WAAAAAAY more to do with his mental illness and nothing or little to do with weed, overuse, disdain for Wanny or any other excuse that has been used. I know first-hand what a mental illness like Ricky has can do to a person.
I guess that is why I have given Ricky the benefit of the doubt since the whole thing started. And why I will never be one the Ricky bashers. And why I kept his jersey and bobblehead fully intact.

SanDiegoDolphan said:
Yeah, some people just don't understand. BTW hope everything turns out ok with your brother.

I love ricky as a person. And i'd love to meet him and tell him hes an inspirational figure. But the rest of the world is just stupid when it comes to football players and emotions. Its as if they're not supposed to have any. And ricky suffers from a disorder, and really no one cares. A lot of guys just think hes a girl, I hate ignorant people.

I've never been a Ricky basher, and dont plan to either. I've had my share of freaky things happen to me, so I can feel for Ricky. Its when you have nothing to compare it to, that people dont beleive.

Let me preface my comments by saying I myself am a anxiety sufferer. I was on Paxil, and actually have been off for about 3 months now. Since i have stopped taking the meds, i have been extra aggresive, my panic attacks have returned, am extremely edgy, and react and think irrationally but thankfully i have learned to control myself for the most part w/o the meds. I definately feel for him, now by the same token, i was FUMING when he walked out. Now, after a year of chewing on it, i would accept him back, only on the basis that i know how he feels. I understand that he ran, and left alot of people that depended of him high and dry, but this disorder is extremely debilitating and will control you if you dont learn to control it.

SanDiegoDolphan said:
I've tried to state this many times SDDolphan, however, the Ricky bashers just dont' want to accept it and feel content going on bashing them hile in their perfect world.

SanDiegoDolphan said:
I understand what you mean because I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder before and it is really difficult. I can relate to what Ricky has been through and must be going through but despite that I can't justify what he done. Everyone has their own feelings and thoughts on the matter and I have my own. I wouldn't say I have so much hatred for Ricky as I have disappointment. I'm disappointed in him and what he has done. I felt betrayed that he walked out on us and didn't even apologize to his teammates or the fans. If he does come back, it's going to be tough when he first comes back but I (and hoping his teammates) will be able to tolerate it. I want what's best for this team which is best for this team and I would accept Ricky back.

I took the Paxil (the same medication Ricky had took for S.A.D.) and I know from experience that, that could really screw you up in the head. I've talked about this many posts time and time before. If Ricky is looking to redeem himself he is going to have to go about it the right way. He's going to have to show he still has a love for this game. He's going have to show that he more mature, that he'll be loyal to this team, that he'll be dedicated to this team, responsbile, and just change for the better. He's headed in the right direction if it's true he's off marijuana and entered a drug program or whatever was posted like a week ago. I am confident in how Saban is approaching the situation and trust his judgement. It's been said before and before... Ricky let his fans down, and Ricky let his teammates down... If his teammates can forgive him, I think I would be able to too. You don't have to like the guy or what he did, but I would tolerate him and trust Nick Saban's judgement.

To sum it up... I believe the best phrase I can think of right now is "I forgive but I never forget".

Yeah..... I cant say I've suffered from S.A.D. 1st hand, but I have taken an intro psychology class, and Ive read all about it, and watched videos.
And man, it totally sux to have a disorder like that. The Anti-Ricky folks should really be ashamed of themselves if they boo him and bash him at games and so forth. I know I'd be p.o.'ed if when of my family members were messed with just because they had that kind of dis-order. Its a handicap, and you dont make fun of people in wheel chairs do you?!?!?!?

And especially dont make them feel like crap by booing them and making their self-confidence lower than it already is!

cudos to all you guys dealing with this. It can be beat for sure. Funny thing is that Ricky was all to proud to admit to a "Drug" problem but The social anxiety thing is so taboo that he would rather be look on as a pot head instead of a guy that just needs the right kinda help.

xXxpHiN34 said:
Yeah..... I cant say I've suffered from S.A.D. 1st hand, but I have taken an intro psychology class, and Ive read all about it, and watched videos.

Gotta love those intro Psyc classes. There all tough classes, all "self aculization" classes are, but well worth taking in my opinion.

SanDiegoDolphan said:

Yup no doubt it played some role in this, but Wicky thought long and hard before he called Wanny to say I QUIT. And he sure had an even longer time to think before he told the world he QUIT because he wanted to smoke pot.

Not the same kind of thing as what took place with your brother IMO.

Wow it's great to see so many poster who are undestanding to a real problem. Everyone from fin fans to Jay Leno are taking shots at Ricky, and it's that kind of stuff that hurts Ricky the most IMO. I don't mean it hurts Ricky's feelings, I mean I think it hurts his ability to face his challenges. I don't think there are two anxiety problems that are alike. I think everyone who suffers from it a little differenty then another. I think this makes it tough to come up with the right medication for the problem. I have anxiety too. I know my problem is a mental one, where I have a fast beating heart, I get clamy I turn very pail and I feel as if I'm having a heart attack. The hole thing is very scary and I hate it with a passion. But in my case I've learned to work my way out of the uncomfortable fellings I get by telling myself it's an anxiety attack and I slow my breathing and I keep repeating "it's the anxiety". After 10 mineuts it staops and I'm fine.

The crazy part is this didn't start happening to me till I was in my early 30's. And I have a feeling it's something I'll have to deal with the rest of my life. I don't want this to be a long drawn out thing about my life, but if you've never experienced this problem maybe a glimps into someone's life who has, can help others understand and maybe be a little more compassionate toward Ricky.

If Ricky comes back but turns around and quits again, I'll still feel the same about him. Once he leaves football, he will still have anxiety and he will have to deal with it everyday for the rest of his life.

SanDiegoDolphan said:

My Sister suffers from depression, she also is on Paxil due to constant panic attacks. If she has a panic attack, I'll help her in any way I can. However, that does not mean that once shes back to normal I won't cuss her out if she if she asks for it. ;)

I feel for anyone with any kind of problem. I pledge 50 bucks a month to help feed a child in Africa (where I was born). I often take drug addicts in my hood, and feed them, but I'll never give them money. I myself am a recovering addict, clean for 15 years, so I know first hand about disorders, drugs, and starvation.

Ricky has many things going against him. One is being a good football player, where he is constantly in the spotlight of the media, and fans. The pressure on him will never stop, and after last year, the pressure is sure to increase. The question of WHY will be daily, and his answers might change daily.

Since he quit last year, he has shown nothing of remorse. So if he still has this I don't care what people think attitude then I think he should stay out of the limelight.

ohall said:
Yup no doubt it played some role in this, but Wicky thought long and hard before he called Wanny to say I QUIT. And he sure had an even longer time to think before he told the world he QUIT because he wanted to smoke pot.

Not the same kind of thing as what took place with your brother IMO.

I agree with ya. While I feel for Ricky's suffering, I personally dont believe that his past/present anxiety is a reasonable excuse for his behavior. Sure Ricky suffers from Anxiety, which is a very real condition that I am quite familiar with. However, he never suffered from Amnesia - he is completely aware of his condition as well as his actions, and did NOTHING to address the situation.

Its one thing to suffer from a disorder. Its another thing to fail to take accountability for your actions. Unless “taking accountability†is part of Ricky's anxiety (and I dont think it is since he openly discussed his disorder in the past and sought treatment), then his behavior over the last year cannot be excused because of his condition. If people want to forgive him, fine. But I dont believe that he can hide behind the anxiety excuse every time he effs up his life. He knows all too well the effects of the condition and has done nothing (to our knowledge) to keep the disorder under control over the last year.

Had he quit the team while undergoing therapy and taking his medication, it would make more sense to blame his failure to fully cope with his Disorder. But that didnt seem to be the case. For what its worth, I hope hes dealing with it now.

Back
Top Bottom