A Compensatory Draft Pick For James... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Compensatory Draft Pick For James...

No chance we get anything for Gore, he got paid less than all 3 of the FAs we signed. I don't know exactly how it works but I'm pretty confident our only chances are James and Wake. James should get us at least a 4th hopefully a 3rd. Wake I'm guessing 5th.
Right now, Over The Cap has Fitzpatrick and Rowe cancelling out Gore and Bolden. That would leave a 3rd from James and a 5th from Wake

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Couldn’t care less about mid-to-late round pick.

A handfull of those mid to late rounders will end up being great and even more of them solid contributors. It just adds one more chance to get one of them. Also helps with trading up in the draft.

Majority won't and it doesn't add that much ammo, particularly considering where we will likely need to move up to. But at least we'll get to hear the Phins name called more during the draft, which is typically the highlight of our season. So that's fun.

Couldn’t care less about mid-to-late round pick.
Exactly. We should take ALL of those late picks and keep trading back every year until we have a pile of them high enough to snooker some dumbass GM into a decent pick for all of them.

Rinse. Repeat.

Great players in every round and the more picks you have and if you have a great GM the more ammo you have to hit on some. Our top dline players in Taylor and were 5th round picks etc.

Great players in every round and the more picks you have and if you have a great GM the more ammo you have to hit on some. Our top dline players in Taylor and were 5th round picks etc.

Yeah yeah, and Tom Brady was in the 6th. All great stories, and they’re great stories because they are the exceptions. Fact is, you have a much better chance at landing top players early in the draft, it’s not even debatable. And while an extra (late) 3rd is better than no extra 3rd, it came at a significant cost, so I’m not overly excited about it.

Yeah yeah, and Tom Brady was in the 6th. All great stories, and they’re great stories because they are the exceptions. Fact is, you have a much better chance at landing top players early in the draft, it’s not even debatable. And while an extra (late) 3rd is better than no extra 3rd, it came at a significant cost, so I’m not overly excited about it.
Hey I am all for resigning our own players if possible and sure high round picks decrease the risk factor. In fact I laugh at all the hype on this forum when we spin off some proven veteran for some draft picks and everyone gets so excited that some unproven college kid will be an upgrade.

I do believe when possible trading back in the draft aquiring more picks increases your odds. Sure if Tunsil is starting you in the face take the pick.

I have a feeling at the end of the day were gonna only get a 4th from James and nothing more.
It's essentially a 3rd for James guaranteed now. No more high AAV contracts will be given out this FA.... Even if someone does get overpaid, James would have to drop like 30 spots in AAV in order for it to drop down to a 4th.

Looks like Bolden & Fitz cancel out. 3rd & 5th as it currently stands.

Guestimated 2020 draft picks for Miami...

1-4
2-35
3-66
3-98 (James)
4-106
4-123 (Tannehill)
5-141
5-172 (Wake)
6-177
7-235 (Tannehill)
7-245 (Jordan Lucas)

AND $120,000,000 in cap space.
And we have to spend at least 89% of that cash (not cap) in order to remain compliant. Next year will yield no comp picks, but it will sure be fun.

And we have to spend at least 89% of that cash (not cap) in order to remain compliant. Next year will yield no comp picks, but it will sure be fun.

That 89% spending minimum is calculated over a 4-year period.

They aren’t signing big names... they are doing it the Patriot Way! Remember though... The Patriots have deviated with Brady getting near the end.
Nice Badge Blue. Thanks for keeping us safe! Agreed, no big names are coming here and I agree the Pats have changed their philosophy somewhat in the realization that Brady is in the extreme downside of his career.

Back
Top Bottom