A Compensatory Draft Pick For James... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Compensatory Draft Pick For James...

Couldn’t care less about mid-to-late round pick.

Those are the important picks. 1st round and 2nd are suppose to be the gimmes. I know they always aren’t but regardless it’s locked in high money for 4 years. Round 3-7 is the cheap labor that builds the depths and gets you more comp picks. Hit one star each year from rounds 3-7 or 2 starters and you are set.

Not to mention those extra picks net a pick in one round greater the next year.

All of this is assuming you have a Franchise QB though. Until then not a single pick matters, regardless of the round 1-7 (See Vikings).

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, and Tom Brady was in the 6th. All great stories, and they’re great stories because they are the exceptions. Fact is, you have a much better chance at landing top players early in the draft, it’s not even debatable. And while an extra (late) 3rd is better than no extra 3rd, it came at a significant cost, so I’m not overly excited about it.

Good thing you’re not a GM since you can’t recognize the value in these picks. There’s good reason the draft doesn’t end after round 3 or 4 and become a FA free-for-all. There’s still talent to be had. Just because the %’s are higher in earlier rounds does make the late rounds meaningless. If we’re solely talking 7th round, I’d understand the pessimism. But 3rd and 5th round picks are certainly valuable.

In line for two picks probably a 3 and a 5 as another poster had said but James is no guarantee for a 3.

Good thing you’re not a GM since you can’t recognize the value in these picks. There’s good reason the draft doesn’t end after round 3 or 4 and become a FA free-for-all. There’s still talent to be had. Just because the %’s are higher in earlier rounds does make the late rounds meaningless. If we’re solely talking 7th round, I’d understand the pessimism. But 3rd and 5th round picks are certainly valuable.
Hard to take any post that starts with “good thing you’re not a GM” from some other guy on a message board all that serious. Anyways, giving up a good OT and creating yet another hole on an already depleted OL for a late 3rd (maybe) is “value?” Sure, if somebody just gives us an extra late 3rd or we trade a mediocre or worse player in an area we’re relatively strong at, there’s value there, but that’s not the case here.

Good luck in the GM job hunt. Certainly Dolphins material.

Trenton Brown, rd 7, their are jewels in later rounds but usually like finding a needle in a haystack...they are there though

Hard to take any post that starts with “good thing you’re not a GM” from some other guy on a message board all that serious. Anyways, giving up a good OT and creating yet another hole on an already depleted OL for a late 3rd (maybe) is “value?” Sure, if somebody just gives us an extra late 3rd or we trade a mediocre or worse player in an area we’re relatively strong at, there’s value there, but that’s not the case here.

Good luck in the GM job hunt. Certainly Dolphins material.

Why are you so hung up on James, Gonzo? Did you personally like him? It's okay if you did/do. Most have players we'd defend due to our bias (not saying that's the case here).

He was a good player and is going to get paid a lot of money in a rebuilding year wherein I believe our FO made cap #s a present and future priority.

They're not going to overpay if they feel it's too much. And if holes were/are to come, better sooner than later. The sooner they tear this thing apart, the sooner they can put it back together.

Why are you so hung up on James, Gonzo? Did you personally like him? It's okay if you did/do. Most have players we'd defend due to our bias (not saying that's the case here).

He was a good player and is going to get paid a lot of money in a rebuilding year wherein I believe our FO made cap #s a present and future priority.

They're not going to overpay if they feel it's too much. And if holes were/are to come, better sooner than later. The sooner they tear this thing apart, the sooner they can put it back together.

I personally like not unecessarily creating holes on an already depleted line, thereby creating another need that will have to be addressed over an offseason with a ton of needs already. It's quintessential Dolphins, yet people like that we keep doing it because cap space is pleasing to the eye or something. Despite what some say (mostly because of lingering anger over his draft position, which I didn't like either), he was a good young RT. Not great, not very good, but good. We already needed an entire interior offensive line and depth. Now we need an entire interior line, depth, and a RT (lolDavis), which means we're either going to have to use yet another draft pick on a RT (and it will most likely have to be high to reach the level of James), thereby neglecting a position of need we already had, or "overpay" for a FA RT, thereby saving what, a couple million in cap if we get a halfway decent one? A possible mid-round pick and some overrated cap savings that will largely be negated if they sign a FA RT simply doesn't cut it for me.

I'm glad you all have faith in a FO and staff that hasn't accomplished anything. I don't have that kind of blind loyalty to this team anymore. They lost that after two decades of absolutely moronic roster decisions.

Making James the highest paid RT in the league (history) would be a mistake. Especially because there was no drop off when he was replaced by Davis(lol)

I personally like not unecessarily creating holes on an already depleted line, thereby creating another need that will have to be addressed over an offseason with a ton of needs already. It's quintessential Dolphins, yet people like that we keep doing it because cap space is pleasing to the eye or something. Despite what some say (mostly because of lingering anger over his draft position, which I didn't like either), he was a good young RT. Not great, not very good, but good. We already needed an entire interior offensive line and depth. Now we need an entire interior line, depth, and a RT (lolDavis), which means we're either going to have to use yet another draft pick on a RT (and it will most likely have to be high to reach the level of James), thereby neglecting a position of need we already had, or "overpay" for a FA RT, thereby saving what, a couple million in cap if we get a halfway decent one? A possible mid-round pick and some overrated cap savings that will largely be negated if they sign a FA RT simply doesn't cut it for me.

I'm glad you all have faith in a FO and staff that hasn't accomplished anything. I don't have that kind of blind loyalty to this team anymore. They lost that after two decades of absolutely moronic roster decisions.

I gotcha. And I feel yah.

I understand that the franchise has not earned patience. But it's a new morning with a fresh cup of coffee and, yeah, I want to bask in the perfectly warm not to hot sunrise glow with my cup of joe. No cream or sugar, please. I like my coffee like I like my women- bitter. :lol:

We have 2 drafts and an offseason that looks like is going to leave us big players in the market to build this thing respectable if not much better for 2020.

The James' moves of the sport is not going to make or break us. The drafts will. I'm keeping my rancor of the past in check until said drafts have come and gone.

The venom of the last 20 years deserves distrust. I just don't know why it should poison faith.

And if we can trot out a serviceable player at the most important position in the game, we can certainly do so at tackle.

Last edited:
Hard to take any post that starts with “good thing you’re not a GM” from some other guy on a message board all that serious.

You mean, kinda like taking your previous post seriously? You get out of this what you put into it. If you post nonsense, you’re likely to get nonsense in return. Seems only fair, right?

Furthermore, we did take each other’s post seriously since we responded. So don’t go get all holier than thou.

Sorry you don’t like being called out for what you said, but it’s very shortsighted. No legit GM would diminish the value of 3rd and 5th round picks. They have value. That’s why I made the comment about being glad you’re not the GM of the Miami Dolphins and I fully stand behind it.

Back
Top Bottom