A degree of caution | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A degree of caution

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
I mentioned in a recent thread that NFL rosters tend to go through a lot of turnover every 5 or 6 years, so we should be prepared for some of Miami's draft haul from 2020 and 2021 to not make it very far past their rookie contracts. After saying that I just happened to look at the Browns 2016 and 2017 drafts where they had an incredible 24 combined picks including 3 1st round picks in 2017. Amazingly the Browns only have 4 of those 24 players still on their roster from those drafts that were just 3 and 4 years ago. Of those 24 picks, 10 were in the 1st 2nd or 3rd rounds and only 3 of those picks remain. Ironicly Miami has more of the Browns 2016 draft picks on their current roster (Ogbah and Ricardo Louis) than the Browns have. I pray Miami has better luck than the Browns did, but just want to stress that often the dreams of players potential is much greater that how things playout in reality.

Another amazing draft note: Miami's Devante Parker is 1 of only 7 2015 1st round picks that remain with their original team and of the top 9 wrs selected in that draft he's the only one that hasn't been cut, traded or let walk away in free agency.

Last edited:
It’s the nature of the league these days. Rookie contract is up and guys move on for a bigger payday than they are worth to their existing team. It’s why I prefer the rookie players get to play and develop early because a year sitting is a bit of a waste in the sense it’s as if you rented a car for 4 days but only got to use it for 3. QB is an exception because if the guy is your franchise guy you’ll lock him up.

I have real doubts that some GMs in this league had a real track record of evaluating talent at an above average level before they got their position..

there should be a school for it..

Turnover of players is constant. Even the bad teams can't keep talent, which is interesting.

You've got to be smart and know who to pay beginning with the quarterback position. If you have a good one that's absolutely huge.

If five years from now, Tua is the only one left from this draft, but he's a super star that might be enough.

I mentioned in a recent thread that NFL rosters tend to go through a lot of turnover every 5 or 6 years, so we should be prepared for some of Miami's draft haul from 2020 and 2021 to not make it very far past their rookie contracts. After saying that I just happened to look at the Browns 2016 and 2017 drafts where they had an incredible 24 combined picks including 3 1st round picks in 2017. Amazingly the Browns only have 4 of those 24 players still on their roster from those drafts that were just 3 and 4 years ago. Of those 24 picks, 10 were in the 1st 2nd or 3rd rounds and only 3 of those picks remain. Ironicly Miami has more of the Browns 2016 draft picks on their current roster (Ogbah and Ricardo Louis) than the Browns have. I pray Miami has better luck than the Browns did, but just want to stress that often the dreams of players potential is much greater that how things playout in reality.

Another amazing draft note: Miami's Devante Parker is 1 of only 7 2015 1st round picks that remain with their original team and of the top 9 wrs selected in that draft he's the only one that hasn't been cut, traded or let walk away in free agency.
yeah, that 2015 draft wasn't very good. Parker was arguably the best WR, with Stefon Diggs and Lockett being the other two of note. Only Parker was a 1st rounder. Fans think every draft is a good draft, and all the 1st rounders are destined to be Pro-Bowlers, and typically think their team drafted some sneaky good talent in the later rounds that will also beocme Pro-Bowlers. Reality is that some drafts simply don't have as good of a talent pool from which to choose. I fear this 2020 draft may be one of those, with the real talent at WR and CB. I'm glad we at least got one CB.

yeah, that 2015 draft wasn't very good. Parker was arguably the best WR, with Stefon Diggs and Lockett being the other two of note. Only Parker was a 1st rounder. Fans think every draft is a good draft, and all the 1st rounders are destined to be Pro-Bowlers, and typically think their team drafted some sneaky good talent in the later rounds that will also beocme Pro-Bowlers. Reality is that some drafts simply don't have as good of a talent pool from which to choose. I fear this 2020 draft may be one of those, with the real talent at WR and CB. I'm glad we at least got one CB.
As long as Tua is a stud, I'm ok if he turns out to be the only QB that was worth drafting in 2020! :D

If we can hit on only 2 guys per draft, we will be a perennial contender. Point is, you only need to have a few gems in the pile of coal. The Seahawks honestly weren't doing anything until they got Wilson and Wagner. The legion of boom was a luxury, but also demonstrates this point (Cam, Earl, Sherman)

And QB.

If we can hit on only 2 guys per draft, we will be a perennial contender. Point is, you only need to have a few gems in the pile of coal. The Seahawks honestly weren't doing anything until they got Wilson and Wagner. The legion of boom was a luxury, but also demonstrates this point (Cam, Earl, Sherman)

agreed, Wilson and Wagner drive that team. they are still a playoff team now long after the legion of boom was disassembled

I really think only 2 or 3 players from this latest draft will even still be on the roster in 4 years. The draft is nothing but a guessing game for the majority of the GM’s and it is the few really good GM’s who actually know what they are doing when it comes to evaluating talent.
Grier still needs to prove that knows what he is doing when it comes to selecting talent that can perform at a high level in the NFL.

agreed, Wilson and Wagner drive that team. they are still a playoff team now long after the legion of boom was disassembled
I think having Wilson is certainly a major advantage but I also thank Carroll is the most underrated head coach in the NFL. He has consistently put a quality team on the field as the HC of the Seahawks even with a massive turnover of the roster during his tenure in Seattle.

I think having Wilson is certainly a major advantage but I also thank Carroll is the most underrated head coach in the NFL. He has consistently put a quality team on the field as the HC of the Seahawks even with a massive turnover of the roster during his tenure in Seattle.

I think their GM has a lot to do with Seattle's consistent product...

I really think only 2 or 3 players from this latest draft will even still be on the roster in 4 years. The draft is nothing but a guessing game for the majority of the GM’s and it is the few really good GM’s who actually know what they are doing when it comes to evaluating talent.
Grier still needs to prove that knows what he is doing when it comes to selecting talent that can perform at a high level in the NFL.
I think you are ignoring (for some reason) the addition and influence of Flo, McKenzie, and Allen.

Yes, it still is not proven, but there is more to it than just Grier.

Not having a shot but curious as to which couple of players you think will still be here in 4 years?

I'm hoping obviously Tua stays sound and lives up to the hype.
If 2 of the 3 OL stick that's a big win.
Don't think both Weaver and Strowbridge will both be here.
Don't know enough about the DB's but it would be no surprise if we drafted a couple more over the coming years as Flo seems to place a mayor emphasis on the position.

The couple of positives regards Grier is that he brought in a couple of experienced scouts and Flo comes from a scouting background and he would of had to of had some input into the draft. The curious one was reaction to getting Davis pick 56, think Flo may well of had a hand in that one.

Back
Top Bottom