A Few Notes About the Phins, That I am thinking. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Few Notes About the Phins, That I am thinking.

Phinsdude

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ok, first off, they interviewed Gus Frerrote, and he made a comment;

"We don't have a Randy Moss here, but I am sure Scott will find a way to make it work"

Now, I know Randy is imo the best receiver in the League, but, a Randy Moss type is not impossible to have. It basically struck me as we don't have a dominant receiver, that can take over a game, you can rely on. I love Chris, he's a great guy, great player, and somewhat of a friend, but when a QB says something like we don't have A Randy Moss type player here. Maybe Scott Linehan will Push for Edwards.

Second, I have been watching Playbook and all the draft coverage. And you know how you see highlights of players and you get enamoured by them. You see players that are projected to go late first, and you are like damn, that's a player. You see Ronnie Brown bowling over players, out running players, etc. You are like, damn, I want that player, I know I do. Braylon Edwards, etc. Now, everytime I see Alex Smith, I am no where near impressed. I never saw one highlight that made me say, wow, we need to draft this guy. I know highlights aren't everything, but every draft players gets their best plays put on a reel to showcase them. Alex Smith keeps get the same highlights of a 10 yard post, and that's basically it, he hasn't done anything on what I've seen to warrant, no deep balls, I don't know, it scares me.

Phinsdude said:

"We don't have a Randy Moss here, but I am sure Scott will find a way to make it work"

Now, I know Randy is imo the best receiver in the League, but, a Randy Moss type is not impossible to have. It basically struck me as we don't have a dominant receiver, that can take over a game, you can rely on. I love Chris, he's a great guy, great player, and somewhat of a friend, but when a QB says something like we don't have A Randy Moss type player here. Maybe Scott Linehan will Push for Edwards.

Second, I have been watching Playbook and all the draft coverage. And you know how you see highlights of players and you get enamoured by them. You see players that are projected to go late first, and you are like damn, that's a player. You see Ronnie Brown bowling over players, out running players, etc. You are like, damn, I want that player, I know I do. Braylon Edwards, etc. Now, everytime I see Alex Smith, I am no where near impressed. I never saw one highlight that made me say, wow, we need to draft this guy. I know highlights aren't everything, but every draft players gets their best plays put on a reel to showcase them. Alex Smith keeps get the same highlights of a 10 yard post, and that's basically it, he hasn't done anything on what I've seen to warrant, no deep balls, I don't know, it scares me.

yeah but remember Gus is ancient and he probably will not last too many years . And Gus isn't the guy you ought to be listening to since he hasn't been named a starter. While we may need another wide receiver it isn't the most pressing. I think Qb and Running back are the most needed. And possibly more help along offensive line. i would rather see these three addressed before we went for any wide receivers.

I still have Aaron Rodgers as the #1 player on my board. Followed by Braylon Edwards, and now I believe Matt Jones. After that, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, and Alex Barron in that order (for now). I have Alex Smith behind them all.

Phinsdude said:

Chris Chambers when given the chance is our Randy Moss...you will find out this year when linehans vertical offense + Chambers vertical mindset meet together perfectly!

Matt Jones is a great player, but he needs time, Alex Barron has too many negatives on him, I feel he is going to be a bust. On the Wide Receiver and Gus Frerotte comment: He works closely with Scott Linehan, and you just think he would have known the team he was coming too, think he would have talked to Scott, think Scott would have told him hey, we have Chris Chambers as our go to guy, etc. I didn't get that impression. We need a big receiver, we really don't have one, a Mike Williams type. We have too many needs, but BPA is the way to go. Anyway, I also feel Alex Smith will be a good QB, but I think he is over paid at #1, #2, or #3. I can't see him being a bust with his mind frame, but I am not sold on him being a star.

Buddwalk said:
Chris Chambers when given the chance is our Randy Moss...you will find out this year when linehans vertical offense + Chambers vertical mindset meet together perfectly!
I feel he is, I just was a little confused why GF didn't say anything about him. CC does get taken out of the games at times, Randy Moss might get taken out of a game and then when your not looking hit on a 40 yarder.

If a WR is chosen, IMO I think it should be Williams, or Jones (not at #2, mind). The reason for this is because Chambers hasn't been the same since he was laid out a couple years ago. He doesn't go over the middle with the tenacity that he once did, and is almost only good for the outside positon and deep threats. A player like Williams or Jones would be a huge target over the middle and present great mismatches, freeing the outside and top for Chambers.

Buddwalk said:

I have been saying Chambers has star possibilty allalong, he just never really gets the chance to show it.

As far as the "highlights getting you excited comment", I totally agree. Except for me, aside from seeing nothing special in the QBs, Ronnie Browns highlights made me actually like him LESS, and moved Caddy in front of him on my board too. When you watch highlights of Benson, you say wow, he has good catches, shows great speed, runs big plays both to the outside and the inside, throws down some good jukes AND bowls over people. When I watch Caddy, he is jus making people miss all day. When I watch BROWN (the three videos I have seen, plus the few Auburn games I have seen), I see nothing special. There were 3 or 4 plays that I kinda perked up for, and one play that he gets tons of props for just cuz I love it (the one where he takes it up the middle and runs over the Tennessee player and stretches out for the TD), but other than that nothing "wows" me, its just your average college running stuff. In one video he fumbles twice (if you pay attention cuz it happens quick and I didn't even notice til the 4th or 5th time I watched) and he bobbles a pass. In his defense he pulls the pass in, but still. Just my opinion, not tryin to start a war, I seem to have already done THAT in the Alex Smith posts, lol, just saying that his VIDEOS and the games I saw didn't really wow me like the games and highlights I saw from Benson and Caddy.

I am with you on Benson. I am a fan, and he is my RB choice. Chambers may not go over the middle, but in 2003, how can you not say he had his best season. Go look at the catch against the Texans in the endzone, go back to the Dallas game with those 3 amazing TD catches, he is an amazing player, amazing. CC is cut, chizzled, but the truth is, when he stands next to be, I overshadow him, and I am only 6'1. My point is, to compare Chambers to Mike Williams in unfair. That's 6 inches in height. The bigger you are, the easier it is to go over the middle. Our offense has been screwed up, with moving Chambers all over. You take a Williams, Jones, and of course Randy, and you make then go over the middle. You have CC to hit on the outside, and the long ball.

Agent51 said:
I I saw didn't really wow me like the games and highlights I saw from Benson and Caddy.

I agree totally. Brown reminds me of JJ Johnson from the games and highlights I seen of him. Caddy and Benson had some real nice highlights. Of course, I still havent hoped off the Benson banwagon and if I would have it my way, Benson at 2(if we stay there)

Phinsdude said:
I feel he is, I just was a little confused why GF didn't say anything about him. CC does get taken out of the games at times, Randy Moss might get taken out of a game and then when your not looking hit on a 40 yarder.

sorry man...if you havnt noticed chambers never was put into a game...wanny loved to run the ball 40 times a game and throw it ten...and jay fiedler was a horrible field general

Chambers will have over 1200 yards 80 catches and 10+ tds this year watch

Alex Smith just isn't an exciting player. I've watched and watched and watched...he's good but that's all I see.

FuturePhin said:
I agree totally. Brown reminds me of JJ Johnson from the games and highlights I seen of him. Caddy and Benson had some real nice highlights. Of course, I still havent hoped off the Benson banwagon and if I would have it my way, Benson at 2(if we stay there)

Lol, I hear ya, I INVENTED the Benson bandwagon, so I'll never be off it

Back
Top Bottom