A few things to get straight | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A few things to get straight

I honestly think the player in question that the poster was originally referring to, when he talked about Surtain leaving when Shula left, was Troy Vincent. Same number, 23 if I recall.
Ah yes - nothing wrong w your memory. 23 it was. What a shame he tore his knee on that punt return when he was with us. I wish we had kept him.

Ah yes - nothing wrong w your memory. 23 it was. What a shame he tore his knee on that punt return when he was with us. I wish we had kept him.
In 1993, when Vincent tore his knee, that's when the season went off the rails. It wasn't when Marino went down with the Achilles. We still won games and were 9-2. Vincent tore his knee on MNF against the Steelers and we lost the last 5.
I was livid he was back returning punts.

In 1993, when Vincent tore his knee, that's when the season went off the rails. It wasn't when Marino went down with the Achilles. We still won games and were 9-2. Vincent tore his knee on MNF against the Steelers and we lost the last 5.
I was livid he was back returning punts.
Yep. We lost Marino but we were still winning. Then we lost Offerdahl. We may have lost Louis Oliver too IIR. Then Vincent was the last straw and we were starting ball boys in the secondary after that.

VIncent wanted to resign with us, and JJ had a deal for him, but JJ wouldn't put a no trade clause in. Vincent was afraid he'd sign and JJ would flip him, so he signed with Philadelphia.
Madison and Surtain helped me get over the loss of Vincent, but it did take a while. Losing him really upset me as a young man.

Yep. We lost Marino but we were still winning. Then we lost Offerdahl. We may have lost Louis Oliver too IIR. Then Vincent was the last straw and we were starting ball boys in the secondary after that.
Yeah, by the end of the season hardly anyone on defense was left. That also contributed too. I think someone named Frankie Smith was starting at CB.

VIncent wanted to resign with us, and JJ had a deal for him, but JJ wouldn't put a no trade clause in. Vincent was afraid he'd sign and JJ would flip him, so he signed with Philadelphia.
Madison and Surtain helped me get over the loss of Vincent, but it did take a while. Losing him really upset me as a young man.
I didn’t know that - thanks for the insight. I believe Vincent was a south jersey kid and just figured (assumed) he wanted to go home and play nearby.

I didn’t know that - thanks for the insight. I believe Vincent was a south jersey kid and just figured (assumed) he wanted to go home and play nearby.
They made a lot of that at the time...but I heard somewhere later about the sign and trade thing.

I honestly think the player in question that the poster was originally referring to, when he talked about Surtain leaving when Shula left, was Troy Vincent. Same number, 23 if I recall.
Thank you - Troy Vincent and Marco Coleman left because of their love for Shula. Sorry for the fumble - but please don’t call me Sammy Smith..,

Back
Top Bottom