A Good Problem To Have; A Crowded WR and TE Room. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Good Problem To Have; A Crowded WR and TE Room.

The Goat

Escape Goat
Club Member
Reaction score
EDITED: I'm a dufus and forgot to include Preston Williams.

So in looking at the WR and TE rooms, I've found it interesting as hell. After a season that saw Miami so desperate for WR that their starting WR were Lynn Bowden Jr., Mack Hollins and Isaiah Ford at one point...there's a logjam at the WR and TE positions.

IMO, if they keep 6 WR: Fuller, Parker, Waddle, Williams, Bowden, Wilson.

If they keep a seventh, who is it? Most likely Hollins; he's a special teams gunner and was just re-signed in March. Grant? Foster? Hurns? Merritt is on a futures contract, so I doubt it's him.

Likewise, Miami has FIVE TE:

Gesicki, Long, Smythe, Carter, Shaheen.

Cethan Carter signed a 3-year deal, and is actually the highest-paid player in the group.

Shaheen signed an extension through 2022 last year, and is the second-highest paid.

They just drafted Long, so he's probably not going anywhere.

That leaves...Gesicki and Smythe, who are both on the last year of their rookie contracts. I don't see ANY way they keep 5 TE. So what gives? Are they just gonna cut Smythe? He was just starting to produce last year.

I DEFINITELY can't se them keeping 7 WR and 5 TE. So some people are gonna be looking for jobs.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So in looking at the WR and TE rooms, I've found it interesting as hell. After a season that saw Miami so desperate for WR that their starting WR were Lynn Bowden Jr., Mack Hollins and Isaiah Ford at one point...there's a logjam at the WR and TE positions.

IMO, if they keep 6 WR: Fuller, Parker, Waddle, Bowden, Wilson, Hollins (ST Gunner/just re-signed).

If they keep a seventh, who is it? Grant? Foster? Hurns? Merritt is on a futures contract, so I doubt it's him.

Cethan Carter signed a 3-year deal, and is actually the highest-paid player in the group.

Shaheen signed an extension through 2022 last year, and is the second-highest paid.

That leaves...Gesicki and Smythe, who are both on the last year of their rookie contracts. I don't see ANY way they keep 5 TE. So what gives? Are they just gonna cut Smythe? He was just starting to produce last year.

I DEFINITELY can't se them keeping 7 WR and 5 TE. So some people are gonna be looking for jobs.

Thoughts?
Carter isn't really a TE. He's a special teams ace who can play H-back in a pinch. We gave him guaranteed money for a year, so he sticks... call him a FB if it helps.

I've been predicting that Smythe is the one to go unless we trade Shaheen. He isn't much with the ball in his hands and most of his receptions were just scheme things where we'd dump the ball to him if he was uncovered. He's the best blocker in the unit, so there is that... but he is the target. If Long can block, I think Smythe is dead man walking.

IMO, if they keep 6 WR: Fuller, Parker, Waddle, Bowden, Wilson, Hollins (ST Gunner/just re-signed).

If they keep a seventh, who is it? Grant? Foster? Hurns? Merritt is on a futures contract, so I doubt it's him.

Thoughts?
Just wondering @The Goat if you forgot Preston Williams in this. I think he is a lock. Agree with @Feverdream that Carter sticks but is not in this equation.
If PW also is in it just gets more interesting.

Thoughts?
I think they keep your six as well as Williams, so 7 total. Probably 4 TE's. I think Smythe is the odd man out...
Or, maybe trade Gesicki for K. Hunt...

Just wondering @The Goat if you forgot Preston Williams in this. I think he is a lock. Agree with @Feverdream that Carter sticks but is not in this equation.
If PW also is in it just gets more interesting.

Thank you. I didn't forget him, but I forgot to put him in the mix. I was tired. Fixed with an edit.

Last edited:
Carter isn't really a TE. He's a special teams ace who can play H-back in a pinch. We gave him guaranteed money for a year, so he sticks... call him a FB if it helps.

I've been predicting that Smythe is the one to go unless we trade Shaheen. He isn't much with the ball in his hands and most of his receptions were just scheme things where we'd dump the ball to him if he was uncovered. He's the best blocker in the unit, so there is that... but he is the target. If Long can block, I think Smythe is dead man walking.

I've thought about this as well...but here's the thing; it doesn't really matter what you label him as - it's a roster spot. Once you classify him as a RB, then you start looking at whom you're eliminating from THAT pool. Gaskin? Brown? Doaks? Ahmed? Laird? I don't think Miami carries more than four RB, so which two go?

I think in the end, you're right - that it's Smythe who goes.

But that little voice in my head keeps saying to keep an eye out for a trade.

I think they keep your six as well as Williams, so 7 total. Probably 4 TE's. I think Smythe is the odd man out...
Or, maybe trade Gesicki for K. Hunt...
Please no trade for Gesicki! Hunt might be nice though, lets get him for Smythe and a couple of picks maybe

I've thought about this as well...but here's the thing; it doesn't really matter what you label him as - it's a roster spot. Once you classify him as a RB, then you start looking at whom you're eliminating from THAT pool. Gaskin? Brown? Doaks? Ahmed? Laird? I don't think Miami carries more than four RB, so which two go?

I think in the end, you're right - that it's Smythe who goes.

But that little voice in my head keeps saying to keep an eye out for a trade.
In the long run, I think that keeping a guy like Carter probably means that we carry one less linebacker, DB, or lineman. I really can't see us carrying less than 4 regular RBs and 6 regular WRs, and we did carry a FB for a couple of years (which might be the best parallel for Carter). Either way, it will be a bottom of the roster guy who would likely have only played special teams to begin with.

Please no trade for Gesicki! Hunt might be nice though, lets get him for Smythe and a couple of picks maybe
Hunts too good, with low mileage. It would take at least Gesicki to get him, probably more. I'm a Gesicki fan but how could you pass on Hunt. That would take the RB room to a whole new level. Between him and Chubb, I think Hunt is the better all-around back.

Injuries will impact both the receiver group and TE. That will clear up who stays, goes or put on IR.

I hate the thought, but if Gesicki 's camp wants top 3 money, a trade while his value is high may be considered. Personally, I would like for him to play this year and agree to a team friendly contract. If that happens, I think Shaheen might be a cost/value release.

I wonder if Grier can get a late round pick for someone like Wilson or Grant, or both?

Smythe is probably the odd man out at tight end.
If Grier gets something for Grant he again astounds me! I'd like to keep Wilson

Hunt is good but do RB's have big trade value? And SNAP I just looked him up again and he was that woman beater! Wouldn't give Cleveland Grant for him....HARD PASS

Didn’t we sign Shaheen or Smythe to an extension last year? Whichever one it was pretty much has to stay, right?

If Grier gets something for Grant he again astounds me! I'd like to keep Wilson

Hunt is good but do RB's have big trade value? And SNAP I just looked him up again and he was that woman beater! Wouldn't give Cleveland Grant for him....HARD PASS

I get some don’t value the kid. But Grant isn’t a completely useless player. Clearly he brings ST value and I can easily see a 5th or 6th or certainly a 7th rounder for his services.

Back
Top Bottom