A Great Argument for drafting TE Pitts at #3 overall | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is your choice @ #6 if not Pitts?

• Total voters
So if we draft Pitts we have him at TE, and Gesicki in the slot. Then we basically have two slot receivers because neither can block.

Most experts have Pitts as one the best TE/Hybrid players to come out of college for a generation and your gripe is that you are saying he cannot block.
I will take Pitts and the upside that comes with him.

I think it is very unlikely that Williams will make it to 50.
Me too, but all it would take to happen is for him to be the 4th RB rather than the top 3 IMO. Right now I have him behind Harris and Etienne.

Last edited:
So if we draft Pitts we have him at TE, and Gesicki in the slot. Then we basically have two slot receivers because neither can block.
The latest talk is that contracts will be lower than they have been over the next few seasons. So that should lesson the impact on what you are talking about. There was alot of talk about this when we were looking at signing RB Aaron Jones from the Packers.

Whether or not two receiving TE's are "worth it" will entirely be based on how we use them and the type of production they have. If both of them are on the field and productive, I could care less if they are WR's, TE, etc. The bottom line to me is both players alone (Gesicki and Pitts) create mismatches that are extremely difficult to defend. Both players together is going to absolutely control what we see each week in terms of defensive personnel. How? Teams will be forced to defend our 2 TE sets with smaller DB focus formations and schemes because they will get absolutely toasted by Pitts and Gesicki trying to defend us in Big sets and schemes , not to mention our big physical WR's (Parker and Williams) and Pitts /Gesicki should have no problem blocking DB's.

This is a HUGE addition to our scheme DOLFANS. Add Chase or Smith and it's true we get a great addition to WR, and those guys are great players we'd be lucky to have. They have great skills as WR's, but how that improves us is much more limited than adding Pitts.

Add Pitts and he will keep smaller defensive packages on the field and Pitts, Gesicki, Parker, and Williams will have no problem blocking smaller defensive packages. Our passing game will thrive because they are so gifted as receivers and create coverage nightmares and mismatches and our Rushing game will thrive because:
A- Teams will defend us pass first
B- Our Offensive Line will push smaller defensive packages with more DB's and less LB's and or DL
C- Our Big WR's and two TE's will easily handle blocking multiple DB sets they will have to be in to keep us out of the endzone
D- Our Coaches will see similar schemes week after week that will make us better as coaches. It'll be easier to anticipate what we will see in games. Using Multiple looks with 2 TE's like Gesicki and Pitts will be a nightmare lining them up wide, in the slot, on the same side, on opposite sides, both in Tight, etc will force teams to defend our rushing attack with personnel that usually primarily defend the pass. We can force them to do things that they don't see every week.
As a coach I can tell you this makes calling plays so much easier, and add in our RPO focus and improving OL and I think the value of having both Gesicki and Pitts in the same offense could be the greatest innovation we've had in a long, long time. There is also a whole lot of value in how good Pitts is lining up wide. He is a force everywhere he lines up. He'll make Gesicki better too as Gesicki will benefit from lesser coverages focusing on him.

Last edited:
The latest talk is that contracts will be lower than they have been over the next few seasons. So that should lesson the impact on what you are talking about. There was alot of talk about this when we were looking at signing RB Aaron Jones from the Packers.

Whether or not two receiving TE's are "worth it" will entirely be based on how we use them and the type of production they have. If both of them are on the field and productive, I could care less if they are WR's, TE, etc. The bottom line to me is both players alone (Gesicki and Pitts) create mismatches that are extremely difficult to defend. Both players together is going to absolutely control what we see each week in terms of defensive personnel. How? Teams will be forced to defend our 2 TE sets with smaller DB focus formations and schemes because they will get absolutely toasted by Pitts and Gesicki trying to defend us in Big sets and schemes , not to mention our big physical WR's (Parker and Williams) and even our Speedy WR's (Fuller and Grant).

This is a HUGE addition to our scheme DOLFANS. Add Chase or Smith and it's true we get a great addition to WR, and those guys are great players we'd be lucky to have. They have great skills as WR's, but how that improves us is much more limited than adding Pitts.

Add Pitts and he will keep smaller defensive packages on the field and Pitts, Gesicki, Parker, and Williams will have no problem blocking smaller defensive packages. Our passing game will thrive because they are so gifted as receivers and create coverage nightmares and mismatches and our Rushing game will thrive because:
A- Teams will defend us pass first
B- Our Offensive Line will push smaller defensive packages with more DB's and less LB's and or DL
C- Our Big WR's and two TE's will easily handle blocking multiple DB sets they will have to be in to keep us out of the endzone
D- Our Coaches will see similar schemes week after week that will make us better as coaches. It'll be easier to anticipate what we will see in games. Using Multiple looks with 2 TE's like Gesicki and Pitts will be a nightmare lining them up wide, in the slot, on the same side, on opposite sides, both in Tight, etc will force teams to defend our rushing attack with personnel that usually primarily defend the pass. We can force them to do things that they don't see every week.
As a coach I can tell you this makes calling plays so much easier, and add in our RPO focus and improving OL and I think the value of having both Gesicki and Pitts in the same offense could be the greatest innovation we've had in a long, long time. There is also a whole lot of value in how good Pitts is lining up wide. He is a force everywhere he lines up. He'll make Gesicki better too as Gesicki will benefit from lesser coverages focusing on him.
Bill belichick has always enjoyed two tight end sets. Look at the damage he was doing with Hernandez and gronk a few years ago.

Stefanski is another guy who enjoys heavy sets and does a great job utilizing the play action out of that.

Overall the shift towards 4-2-5 with that 5th dB being a hybrid really puts the defense in a bind. It's not like you have a ton of nickels who excel at linebacker and corner. Two tight ends also goes against what modern defenses are built for.

Now they are designed to cover and eliminate space as teams spread them out. Shifting in and out of on the line tight end sets can force the defense to play certain personnel packages against our run game that may be favorable.

Bill belichick has always enjoyed two tight end sets. Look at the damage he was doing with Hernandez and gronk a few years ago.

Stefanski is another guy who enjoys heavy sets and does a great job utilizing the play action out of that.

Overall the shift towards 4-2-5 with that 5th dB being a hybrid really puts the defense in a bind. It's not like you have a ton of nickels who excel at linebacker and corner. Two tight ends also goes against what modern defenses are built for.

Now they are designed to cover and eliminate space as teams spread them out. Shifting in and out of on the line tight end sets can force the defense to play certain personnel packages against our run game that may be favorable.
Absolutely. And when defenses struggle to stop the run in their smaller sets / schemes they are completely vulnerable. Our coaches will also be able to manipulate them using formations, motions, shifts, etc with Pitts and Gesicki.

Absolutely. And when defenses struggle to stop the run in their smaller sets / schemes they are completely vulnerable. Our coaches will also be able to manipulate them using formations, motions, shifts, etc with Pitts and Gesicki.
I'd love to have the confidence in our O coaches your post suggests!

But for the time being I'm from Missouri on this one.

Honestly can't remember the last time I felt we had a noted advantage on the O coaching side.

More here in this article on the wonders of drafting this draft's #1 beast Kyle Pitts-
pitts-dolphins-swap.jpeg

Most experts have Pitts as one the best TE/Hybrid players to come out of college for a generation and your gripe is that you are saying he cannot block.
I will take Pitts and the upside that comes with him.
A generational TE will still have trouble competing with an every-other-year receiver just based on the nature of the position and the WR's speed advantage.

I'd love to have the confidence in our O coaches your post suggests!

But for the time being I'm from Missouri on this one.

Honestly can't remember the last time I felt we had a noted advantage on the O coaching side.
I just posted a detailed thread about what we can expect to see if our coaches are giving us an advantage.

A generational TE will still have trouble competing with an every-other-year receiver just based on the nature of the position and the WR's speed advantage.

He's a mis match and then some. You need to flip it and ask how defenses will handle Pitts. His range means he can line up at numerous positions. Alot of pundits/experts have him as THE best most natural sure hitter in the Draft. No offense but the upside compared to the downside on Pitts is a total non starter regarding Phins needs and the players ability. Give Tua weapons. Thats the plan. We get Chase? I'm happy. We get Pitts? I'm happy. No lose scenario imo.

He's a mis match and then some. You need to flip it and ask how defenses will handle Pitts. His range means he can line up at numerous positions. Alot of pundits/experts have him as THE best most natural sure hitter in the Draft. No offense but the upside compared to the downside on Pitts is a total non starter regarding Phins needs and the players ability. Give Tua weapons. Thats the plan. We get Chase? I'm happy. We get Pitts? I'm happy. No lose scenario imo.
Yup, but I'm just one that's not forgetting that 4.44 speed is a dime a dozen in the NFL. Size only matters in specific routes.

Yup, but I'm just one that's not forgetting that 4.44 speed is a dime a dozen in the NFL. Size only matters in specific routes.
Tony Gonzalez was 4.49
Travis Kelce was 4.61
Antonio Gates 4.5
Shannon Sharpe 4.67

I think you are missing the basics. Pitts has a catch range which is seriously good. Not sure why you posted that dime a dozen comment regarding his 4.44. Pitts is 6ft 5/6.
If you don't like Pitts then that's your opinion but the fact you are going negative on him by speed alone means you don't think he's worth the #6 pick. I respect that. Totally disagree but each to their own.

Tony Gonzalez was 4.49
Travis Kelce was 4.61
Antonio Gates 4.5
Shannon Sharpe 4.67

I think you are missing the basics. Pitts has a catch range which is seriously good. Not sure why you posted that dime a dozen comment regarding his 4.44. Pitts is 6ft 5/6.
If you don't like Pitts then that's your opinion but the fact you are going negative on him by speed alone means you don't think he's worth the #6 pick. I respect that. Totally disagree but each to their own.
I like Pitts and would be perfectly happy taking him at 6.

I just value the WR position more. I know with the other 3 a slant could get taken to the house. I don't think that's really the case with Pitts and it's also why Kelce who you mention averages only 6 TDs a year and his long the last 4 years doesn't break the 40s. They're not true game breakers because while they're fast for their size, there's still a qualification on there for why they're not going to outrun corners and safeties to the end zone.

Give me the guys who do first.

Back
Top Bottom