A Great Argument for drafting TE Pitts at #3 overall | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is your choice @ #6 if not Pitts?

• Total voters
I am merging this with the other Pitts thread (s)

Great prospect but not the only one to discuss

I keep seeing that here. Strongly linked by who.....fan and click bait draft mocks or the Falcons themselves. Unless they actually say they are drafting him it's all rumors' and speculation.
Most everybody has Atlanta taking either a QB or Pitts. And obviously it's all rumor and speculation! Duh! If you'll only believe it if the team says it then you'll be waiting for draft day at their pick.

“They did a great job of moving around and I think what they want to do is to provide Tua with weapons," Nagy said. "What they’ve done is position themselves for the best pass catcher in this year’s draft, whether it be Kyle Pitts or the receivers, the Alabama duo Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith, Ja’Marr Chase from LSU. And I think the pick is going to be Pitts. You can make the case, a strong argument, Kyle Pitts is the best receiver in this draft.

"Let’s not forget, head coach Brian Flores, during his time with the Patriots, they had a lot of success with dynamic, two tight end offenses. So pairing Pitts with Mike Gesicki down the field, gotta be attractive to them. It’s a really, really deep receiver class. They can go find starters into the third round this year but the tight end position has the biggest shelf of any position in terms of where Pitts is to the next best tight end. So I think they would take Pitts here at 6 and follow back later and add that wide receiver.”

Logic mostly to be honest. Trends and probabilities.
Logic, and trends?

What logic or trend uses a high pick on a 160 pound WR?

As far as the Heisman, the last WR to win it was Desmond Howard, who's one lone career notable was a special reams play in a SB victory.

As a matter of record, aside from QBs, the success of winners in the NFL has been hit or miss, with more jags than elite players.

Pitts adot was well over 8 last year, which is pretty high. Couldn't find Smith's, but given Bama's offense, heavy on RPOs and WR screems, I think you would lose that bet.

I'm not really concerned about the bet--that was a figure of speech. I don't think the ADOT distribution is what accounts for the discrepancy in catch rate. I was just hoping that some on here that have gone much deeper on these prospects than I have can help me figure out why his catch rate was on the low side.

I have seen a tweet stating Pitts had zero drops last season. That is definitely reassuring.

Is it inconsistent play by Trask? Is it lack of consistent separation by Pitts? Is it Pitts being targeted in a lot more contested catch situations than most due to his skill set?

My assumption is it’s some combination of the above, I’d just love additional insight from anyone who watched more Pitts than I have and has studied his game.

Logic, and trends?

What logic or trend uses a high pick on a 160 pound WR?

As far as the Heisman, the last WR to win it was Desmond Howard, who's one lone career notable was a special reams play in a SB victory.

As a matter of record, aside from QBs, the success of winners in the NFL has been hit or miss, with more jags than elite players.

Look I am not saying that this is what I want, even though it is. I think statistically speaking, the known commodity, that proved it most recently, shows the clearest indicator of success. No matter how skinny this kid is the guys in college were also big and fast. He did play in the SEC against guys in the pros now.

Regardless of all of that, the trends I spoke most of where those of our drafting. Grier has in the early picks gone with the consensus best player available and in this case it will be D. Smith, and the indicator that will classify him as the consensus best to pick is the fact that he won the Heisman award last year, which is the award given to the best player in college football, not best receiver, best player. Look dont get mad at me, I can just see it unfolding logically. I dont think they traded back up for Pitts, or Chase, or Waddle when either of those players could fall much easier than D. Smith would. That said I would be ok with any of those guys. But I would prefer D. Smith personally because I think he is the better player.

Look I am not saying that this is what I want, even though it is. I think statistically speaking, the known commodity, that proved it most recently, shows the clearest indicator of success. No matter how skinny this kid is the guys in college were also big and fast. He did play in the SEC against guys in the pros now.

Regardless of all of that, the trends I spoke most of where those of our drafting. Grier has in the early picks gone with the consensus best player available and in this case it will be D. Smith, and the indicator that will classify him as the consensus best to pick is the fact that he won the Heisman award last year, which is the award given to the best player in college football, not best receiver, best player. Look dont get mad at me, I can just see it unfolding logically. I dont think they traded back up for Pitts, or Chase, or Waddle when either of those players could fall much easier than D. Smith would. That said I would be ok with any of those guys. But I would prefer D. Smith personally because I think he is the better player.
Smitty might break in two with a strong tail wind. Sadly.

your logic is flawed brother , I’m sorry to tell ya . Mach pointed it out pretty clearly .

I have read all the arguments for why the Dolphins should draft Pitts instead of one of the top three WR’s. While I won’t disagree with all those who think Pitts is the best receiver in the draft. I just wonder if he as great as many project him to be, why wouldn’t the Falcons or Bengals select him before the Dolphins
have the opportunity ?

If the Falcons stay at 4 and decide not to select a QB, Pitts would certainly be a major addition to an already potent offense.

The Bengals are not in need of WR’s and they appear to be leaning toward selecting an offensive lineman at 5 but maybe seeing Pitts still on the board would tempt them to draft him instead while waiting until the 2nd round to draft an offensive lineman.

The more I read about what a great player Pitts is, the less I think he will still be on the board when the Dolphins draft at 6. I hope he is so the Dolphins have the option to draft him but I will be surprised if the Falcons or Bengals don’t draft him first.

Lol.....I'm not "mad" at all brother.

I'm just pointing out the flaws in your logic. Winning the Heisman has not, historically (in the modern era), been indicative of NFL success for skill players. Grier certainly knows this.

The premise that Grier picks BPA is arguable as well. I don't feel that strongly about BPA v need, for philosophical reasons, but there are many that would argue the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom