A hypothetical Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A hypothetical Question

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Ok you just got the job as GM of the team with the 2nd pick(behind the Texans who already has a franchise QB) in the 2003 draft(likely the Panthers.) You decided you want to take a QB since there won't likely be another QB class as good for another 20 years. Eli opts out after his junior year, and he has a great injury free year. Leftwitch also has a great injury free year. Who do you take? The classic pocket passer or the rocket arm kid who can beet you passing and running.

Call me old fashion but I would go with Eli. What do you guys think?

Hands down Eli Manning. Potential HOF. What an arm! PLEASE don't let him go to the SAINTS!

Leftwich. He's the prototype QB for today's NFL. And he'll have been at Marshall for 5 years. I'm not a big fan of QBs who opt out early (Ryan Leaf anyone??).

Eli Manning, definitely.

I like Leftwich. I think people say he is a runner because of his race, but Leftwich isn't a runner. He's as much a drop back guy as Warren Moon was. He just isn't as fundamentally sound as Eli Manning.

There are some variables here that I don't know about. I would assume that Eli shares a high level of intelligence with his older brother. That's a huge plus in my mind. I don't know how bright Leftwich is. Not having watched Marshall, I also don't really know how disciplined he is. Everything else being equal, I'd take the versatility and superior athleticism of Leftwich. Unfortunately, all else is never equal, i.e. Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf. Leaf was the superior athlete (not that Manning is a poor athlete) but mentally and emotionally was no where near as ready to be an NFL QB.

BTW I was listening to ESPN radio today and Mel Kiper was on. He was talking about the theoretical possibility of QBs going 1-2-3 at the top of round one in next year's draft. The three he mentioned were Leftwich, Rex Grossman (assuming he comes out) and Dave Ragone. No mention of Eli Manning or another local favorite on this board, Ken Dorsey.

Some disclaimers:
1. No way will QBs go 1-2-3 at the opening of next years draft. The odds against the three very worst teams all needing and wanting a franchise QB more than anything else are astronomical.
2. It may well be that Eli Manning was not mentioned because Mel Kiper doesn't believe he'll come out after his junior year.
3. As we all know, Mel Kiper is not God and doesn't know everything.

I just thought you might llike to hear his opinion.

Well, if you look at the likely worst three teams in the league:

Carolina Panthers -- I think they will go for a QB. The likely destination for Eli Manning if he declares. If not, then Leftwich.

Houston Texans -- They have David Carr and would more than likely go with one of the top flight wide receivers (Kelly Washington, Charlie Rogers, Roy Williams, or Andre Johnson).

Baltimore Ravens -- Billick doesn't exhibit much patience with a QB, so I would look for them to take one high. Leftwich if Manning declares. Ragone if he doesn't.

Other teams that will need a QB:

Cincinnati Bengals -- Chris Simms, anyone?

Chicago Bears

Denver Broncos -- Griese is good, but Shanahan wants better (bravo!)

Oakland Raiders -- Gannon will likely leave and go to Tampa Bay. Al Davis would rather have a QB that can give him a vertical passing game anyway. Carson Palmer maybe.

Miami Dolphins

The Broncos are not in the market for a QB. Griese did well last year considering the fact that he had one WR to throw to the whole year. This year he will shine with Sharpe and McCaffery back and with Rob Moore as a third WR. He will go to the Pro Bowl, just like he did in 2000 even though he only played 10 games.

Maybe so, but that hasn't stopped Mike Shanahan for looking for someone better and more reliable. Shanahan toyed with the idea of dealing for Bledsoe.

You seriously have to look for some insurance when your top 2 QBs(Griese and Buerline) both have bad arm injuries, and long histories of arm troubles. You can't count on bum arms to last all year.

Man, I would love to see...............

Originally posted by KB21
Maybe so, but that hasn't stopped Mike Shanahan for looking for someone better and more reliable. Shanahan toyed with the idea of dealing for Bledsoe.

Brian Griese come to play for the 'phins where he should be playing. ;) I think if that were to happen, the results would be very positive.:eek:

I want no part of Griese. He's had the same injury to that throwing shoulder 3 years straight. And his arm was that great to begin with. He can't stay healthy. And he hasn't progressed since the 2000 season. There's a reason Shannahan was sniffing around Bledsoe.

Not entirely alone...

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I am the only draft Ken Dorsey fan on this board.

I think his stock will go through the roof if the Canes can pull off another National Championship. Having lost such a large crop of talented seniors that would be a minor miracle though.

He could also prove his worth if Miami does well in spite of his supporting cast being widely viewed as diminished.

On the original question if I had to choose between the two then I go for the rocket arm kid who can beat you either way. I found the threat Michael Vick presented last season exhilirating. With a similar threat in the backfield and Ricky Williams alongside, man that poses some questions for a defensive coordinator.

Back
Top Bottom