A Kinder Saban? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Kinder Saban?

Wildbill3

Onion Fetish
Club Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2084193
There was, however, one considerable problem: Stringing together first downs, at least at this early stage of his team's development, is as daunting to the Dolphins offense as attempting to explain, say, string theory. In a performance about as gloomy as the tropical storm-induced clouds that scudded overhead, the unit rang up zero first downs during a frustrating drill. There were errant passes, shaky blocking and dropped balls.

Which elicited from the allegedly volatile Saban an emotional reaction, even stormier than the weather, right?

Add Pastabelly to the other heap of people who think we will suck again just because of last year.

...Oh and one measly mini-camp drill. :shakeno::rolleyes:

God I can't wait to prove these @ssholes wrong.

A KINDER SABAN???

Hell I don't want these guys to like him, I want them to play for him !!!!

"The abrupt retirement of tailback Ricky Williams last summer is a convenient excuse to explain the Dolphins' spiral from grace, of course, but there were other factors as well. Over the last few years, Miami has not drafted well, and often botched free agent deals. Virtually every move made to replace legendary quarterback Dan Marino has imploded. Miami rarely finished a season strong, whether it was under Jimmy Johnson or later, Dave Wannstedt, and the Dolphins haven't advanced beyond the first round of the NFL playoffs since 2000.

Make no mistake, there is much work to be done, and Saban understands that. He did not arrive offering key lime pie-in-the-sky promises. He noted Friday that he wants to have a team in 2005 that overachieves its modest expectations and lays the groundwork for bigger and better things."

Look, it says right there, be patient. That's why Sbabn didn't make predictions. He's not an idiot (JJ made predictions and not much else). A coach needs time to work the cap, turn over the roster to get the players he wants vis the draft and some trades. Saban has not finished, he has barely started. So to say we might suck, or we might go deep into the playoffs are pretty big "mights". We will probably be better than last year because we were not as bad talent wise as 4-12. But a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive systems and some new players take time to all get going at the highest level. So, if you want to enjoy football again, watch for improvement in the fins this year first, and improvement on the record second. Maybe we will only win 5 or 6 games (although I think 7 or 8). But even if we win 5 or 6 but young players show improvement and we see the seeds for a great future then fine. The bigger jump would come next 2 years in the win column.

If we win now, great. But just look for a better team headed in the right direction!

dolphan north said:
"The abrupt retirement of tailback Ricky Williams last summer is a convenient excuse to explain the Dolphins' spiral from grace, of course, but there were other factors as well. Over the last few years, Miami has not drafted well, and often botched free agent deals. Virtually every move made to replace legendary quarterback Dan Marino has imploded. Miami rarely finished a season strong, whether it was under Jimmy Johnson or later, Dave Wannstedt, and the Dolphins haven't advanced beyond the first round of the NFL playoffs since 2000.

Make no mistake, there is much work to be done, and Saban understands that. He did not arrive offering key lime pie-in-the-sky promises. He noted Friday that he wants to have a team in 2005 that overachieves its modest expectations and lays the groundwork for bigger and better things."

Look, it says right there, be patient. That's why Sbabn didn't make predictions. He's not an idiot (JJ made predictions and not much else). A coach needs time to work the cap, turn over the roster to get the players he wants vis the draft and some trades. Saban has not finished, he has barely started. So to say we might suck, or we might go deep into the playoffs are pretty big "mights". We will probably be better than last year because we were not as bad talent wise as 4-12. But a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive systems and some new players take time to all get going at the highest level. So, if you want to enjoy football again, watch for improvement in the fins this year first, and improvement on the record second. Maybe we will only win 5 or 6 games (although I think 7 or 8). But even if we win 5 or 6 but young players show improvement and we see the seeds for a great future then fine. The bigger jump would come next 2 years in the win column.

If we win now, great. But just look for a better team headed in the right direction!

If that were the case then why not trade the high salaried vets like JT and ZT and SM. At this point in their careers I think they have much higher expectations for this season than you do. I don't think they want to endure a 6-8 win season. With each passing year their trade value goes down, but they still have high cap numbers.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Add Pastabelly to the other heap of people who think we will suck again just because of last year.

...Oh and one measly mini-camp drill. :shakeno::rolleyes:

God I can't wait to prove these @ssholes wrong.

That was my first reaction to his article as well but I went back and read it. He does make some good points that we can't deny. Miami has drafted miserably since 1999 and sooner or later that comes back to bite you on your ***. The failure to land a QB by either Jimmy or Wannstedt/Spielman has also set the franchise way back.

Like you I still think we have 8 or 9 win talent and 12 win coaching but its all on paper right now. Until we get consistent QB and OL play we don't know what we have.

The optimist sees that our RB situation and Linehans/Houck's coaching should make us a much better offense and the defense could be explosive if they can find some players at DT and CB/S.

I think your overall point that these mediots see a 4 win team from last year and can't project what a new coach and players will add to that despite the fact that its their job is a very good one.

PFW projecting another 4 win season for Miami is as ridiculous and lazy a prediction as Pud Prisco calling Shockey one of the best TE's in the game.

This is a good read......it tells you what we already know.....turning this team around will take time and Saban is the man for the job.

Yea, now that Saban isn't cutting off the heads of cats and torturing dogs as he kicks children in head, he is much kinder. WTF!?

Do you guys think there is a chance, and don't take this as an attempt at smack, that when the media predicts less wins than the fans, they ARE taking into account new coaching, and that maybe you have overrated your team.

I mean, I have yet to see anyone (maybe 1 or 2) media outlets predict a winning record for the fins this year. Are they all wrong?

When they talk about the Bills, they say the team goes as Losman goes, they are dead on.

It seems, according to alot of you, the only team they don't know about is the Dolphins.

I know the Chargers went from a crappy record to a good one, but you could see that coming for years, they have been bad for years and years, and built the team through the draft, something you have never done.

Losman7 said:
Do you guys think there is a chance, and don't take this as an attempt at smack, that when the media predicts less wins than the fans, they ARE taking into account new coaching, and that maybe you have overrated your team.

I mean, I have yet to see anyone (maybe 1 or 2) media outlets predict a winning record for the fins this year. Are they all wrong?

When they talk about the Bills, they say the team goes as Losman goes, they are dead on.

It seems, according to alot of you, the only team they don't know about is the Dolphins.

I know the Chargers went from a crappy record to a good one, but you could see that coming for years, they have been bad for years and years, and built the team through the draft, something you have never done.

No, they've always been that way for the fins, and the canes as well. I'm don't know if it's a Miami thing, but it seems the canes and fins always get the short end of the respect stick. Marino was always the one who never won a superbowl. The fins 'always' choke, etc, the media is always quick with a negative comment, a joke at our expense, and even when we play well, we aren't given any credit. The canes, that media smack issue has been going on since 83.

Losman7 said:

It's true - even in good times, Miami gets little props from the national media. Maybe that is built on Miami teasing us with good teams over the years that always fell short in the end? Whatever the reason - the lack of respect is always there, and now the national media is making it out like we're the Bengals after one losing season in 16 years. That's the point.

On a different note - as a Bills fan, were you perplexed about them going with Losman over Bledsoe this season? It seemed as if you really had something going at the end of last year, and that '05 would be even better. Now, you go with a guy who's taken 5 snaps? I know Losman has talent, but it really does seem like a step back. Unless he plays like Marino or Rothlisberger out of the gate, you're likely in for a long season! This isn't smack - it's just the history of "rookie" QBs in this league!

Losman7 said:

You're so big on defending the media, work on this one for a while.

Excerpt from a Fox sports news report:

In the ever-more-impatient NFL, huddles are being dominated by quarterbacks barely old enough to remember the Y2K scare.

This year, 49ers rookie Alex Smith and Bills sophomore J.P. Losman will join a group of precocious passers that includes the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger, the Giants' Eli Manning, the Ravens' Kyle Boller and the Bengals' Carson Palmer.

But down in the dusty Southwest, a couple of old-school coaches are partying like it's 1999. That was the season Kurt Warner led the Rams to a Super Bowl championship and Drew Bledsoe threw for just shy of 4,000 yards for the Patriots.

Since then, each quarterback has ridden his share of dramatic ups and downs.

Ignoring downward trends, the Cowboys signed Bledsoe, 33, to be their starter. The Cardinals signed Warner, who will turn 34 on June 22, to compete for their job, then coach Dennis Green anointed him the starter in late May.

Now we get to find out if either of these guys still can throw and thrive. Both were displaced recently by younger athletes -- Warner by Manning in New York and Bledsoe by Losman in Buffalo.

In appraising the veterans' chances for 2005, you have to start by looking at their supporting casts. Both quarterbacks are as mobile as cacti, which means they won't be creating a lot of their own opportunities.

"Both have a tendency to hold the ball," an AFC pro personnel director says. "If they can get a line up front to protect them, they have the throwing ability to be dangerous."

Then there are the quarterbacks themselves. Bledsoe was mediocre in Buffalo after a big 2002 debut. Warner led the Giants to a winning record through nine games last year but was sacked 24 times in his last four starts. They seem to be at similar points in their careers.

But another pro personnel director sees the two quarterbacks in different lights. He believes Bledsoe has several productive years left. "You can feel Drew," he says. "You know he can still throw the ball. You know he won't fumble it away. You have a better sense of his direction, and he is in a better environment."

I

The Bills replace veteran Drew Bledsoe with inexperienced J.P. Losman at quarterback this season.
(Rick Stewart / Getty Images)

IN REVERSE

Bills:
Two of the Bills' best linemen, Jonas Jennings and Pat Williams, departed, and unproven J.P. Losman is the new quarterback. Grade: D+

Losman7 said:

You could see that coming for years?!! Most experts predicted that team to be among the worst in NFL history, some even predicted them to be winless! If you are going to post info that supports media "experts" to be correct about their predictions on the Dolphins, that definitely wasnt a case that backed up your argument...

Back
Top Bottom