A Little Bit of Info | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Bit of Info

jzolnowski

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know its not much but this is very crucial to our draft status

Alex Smith has a crucial private workout for the 49ers today.
The 49ers were reportedly not thrilled with how Smith's Pro Day was run and are bringing their own receivers this time. San Francisco hopes to have a contract worked out with Smith, Aaron Rodgers, or Braylon Edwards before the draft. Apr. 4 - 11:57 pm et
Source: FoxSports.com

Hopefully Smith does bad and they work out a deal for Rodgers that way Edwards or Smith are still around for a trade down scenario or Smith is there for us to possibly use our pick on. We could really use the 49ers to get this done with Rodgers and soon. The sooner this happens the sooner things shape up for us and we can get things rolling

I agree with your main point... we are in a far better position if San Fran takes Rodgers #1 overall.

Have you realized Saban said it's probably not worth picking a running back at number 2.

Dolphinfan_7 said:
hey have yall relized were not getting a qb were are getting a rb

I think most have realized that guessing at what Nick Saban will do is just that. Guessing.

I would not use such an absolute statement when concerning who I think Nick Saban will pick. I personaly feel he will take Ronnie Brown, but strong cases can be made for Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards.

I know value-wise, a RB at #2 isn't a great move, but Benson and Brown will probably be studs, and I would be happy with either one(preferably Benson.) However, I would really like to see us get Braylon Edwards at #2, and if we get the chiefs 2nd round pick, get Marion Barber III or Ernest Shazor(Or another S, I think it is Bullocks that people are high on) with that pick.

UltraDol-Fan said:
Have you realized Saban said it's probably not worth picking a running back at number 2.

I've never heard Saban say that a running back isn't worth the #2 pick. All I have seen is supposition from "sources". Do you seriously believe that Nick Saban would come out with a blanket statement, saying that it's probably not worth taking a running back at number 2?

Saban is holding his cards so close to the vest that the only person outside of him that knows what he is thinking is probably Scott O'Brien.

Im not saying who we are taking dolphinfan, all Im saying is both Smith and Edwards have more value for a trade down than Rodgers in most teams eyes. Furthermore I was stating that it seems that Saban likes Smith over Rodgers IF we did take a QB. I don't claim to know who we are going to take or what position we will take because NOBODY in here knows what we will take. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that people claim to KNOW what we are taking.

Frisches13283 said:
I know value-wise, a RB at #2 isn't a great move, but Benson and Brown will probably be studs, and I would be happy with either one(preferably Benson.) However, I would really like to see us get Braylon Edwards at #2, and if we get the chiefs 2nd round pick, get Marion Barber III or Ernest Shazor(Or another S, I think it is Bullocks that people are high on) with that pick.

I think too many of you are caught up in this idea that just because so and so is a running back, he's not worth the number two pick. You are taking the title of a position and completely ignoring all the other aspects so and so brings to the table. In this case, so and so is Ronnie Brown. Somehow, just because he's a running back, he's not worth that pick. However, name me another player in this draft that can affect the game in as many ways as Ronnie Brown can. How many players in this draft can make an impact in the running game and in the passing game to the extent that Ronnie Brown impacts those aspects?

NONE. There are good runners in this draft, and some may be better pure runners. There isn't a runner that can impact the passing game as a receiver and a blocker the way Ronnie Brown can, and there isn't enough separation between him and the other top two backs in terms of running skills to make a difference in that aspect.

We are talking about a 6'0", 233 lbs running back that is probably a better receiver than any of the receivers in the draft. He can affect the game in much the same way Ahman Green does in Green Bay.

If 49ers take Rodgers I wud still settle for Alex Smith but thats just me :cooldude:
I keeps hearing Ronnie Brown this, Braylon Edwards that I can't wait till draft day so we cud get this over with alrdy

i think he is taking alex smith if he can't trade down....... no doubt. every new coach wants his own new stamp on the team. he can get a running back or a reciever in the third round even if he can't get a second round pick.

jzolnowski said:

The 49ers were reportedly not thrilled with how Smith's Pro Day was run and are bringing their own receivers this time. San Francisco hopes to have a contract worked out with Smith, Aaron Rodgers, or Braylon Edwards before the draft. Apr. 4 - 11:57 pm et

Hopefully Smith does bad and they work out a deal for Rodgers that way Edwards or Smith are still around for a trade down scenario or Smith is there for us to possibly use our pick on. We could really use the 49ers to get this done with Rodgers and soon. The sooner this happens the sooner things shape up for us and we can get things rolling

If Smith does as bad as you hope for SF, I would think he would do just as poorly for us if we were to take him at #2. I personally think Ronnie Brown is a safer bet, jusy my opinion.

Why spend a high pick on a QB when your O-Line is still a question mark?

jzolnowski said:

Its better for us if every top prospect looks good, if they look bad why would anyone else want to trade up for them?

Fact is Saban has stated he will hold pretty true to the Trade Down Chart if a deal is to be consumated, based on that it seems doubtful anyone will trade up and give up what it will take in this draft, though anything is possible I suppose.

I think Saban realizes that RB is not a good long term investment with a #2 pick. I think we will go QB, WR or we will trade down at #2.

If we are to have any chance of trading down it is vital that the niners take a QB with their first pick.Also there is a remote chance that some team will want to move up to take the remaing WR if the niners take one of the top two WRs.

If it doesnt go down that way then I believe Saban will draft Smith or Brown depending on how he feels about them.

KB21 is right that Brown would be able to contribute almost immediately to our offense while a QB will have to sit on the bench for quite awhile but if we can take Saban at his word that he is looking for a player that will give us the longest term value , a QB certainly would fit that parameter.

It really depends on how strong Saban feels about the top two QBs.If he thinks they can be franchise QBs then he should draft one.If he is not convinced then he may have a second tier QB in mind that he can get later on.

The ideal scenario for me would be that the niners take Rodgers,The Browns trade up with us to get Smith,we draft Brown with the No3 pick and we accumulate extra picks to get that second tier QB that Saban may want.

Back
Top Bottom