A Little Experiment...Please Participate! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Experiment...Please Participate!

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
While most of the coursework for my MBA is pretty useless when it comes to football application, one thing that I found interesting was this thing called the Delphi Test, developed by RAND Corporation. Essentially it was origionally developed as a simple survey however it turned out to be one of the most accurate predictors of future events to ever be discovered, and is used by USC, UCLA, Berkley, Stanford, etc. to predict- with amazing accuracy- future trends in business.

By now, most of you are wondering what on Earth this has to do with the Dolphins and if you read on just a bit further I will tell you.

In order for this to work you need two things: a random group of individuals with some type of commonality (i.e. a bunch of people who are all football fans) and the group has to be somewhat large (they recommend 200+ but that will never happen.) Since we have both of those things here, I decided to test this thing to see if there is any validity to it.

Anyway, the question is:
How many points to you believe the Dolphins will score during their first regular season game?

Please answer the question with as little bias as possible and give a brief explanation (one or two sentences) as to why you think that and how confident- percentage wise- you are of your prediction. I'll need a lot of answers so please just keep them rolling in (this goes for you lurkers too, I would love to see you guys post here.)

I'll compile this information and let you all know if this thing turns out to be accurate or not. If it is, all you gambling hounds out there may have a new tool to use. Thanks for playing, I'll keep you all updated.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I say 20. Detroit's D isn't great, but we have a new O sysytem and a new "top gun" our O will be about. Plus our line will need time to work together. If we were playing a better team I would say 13. But maybe our D can get us some points via the turnover, so you never know.

4 TD's and 2 Field Goals for a grand total of 34 pts. New QB + Phins defensive secondary = Rough Start for Harrington. Ricky tears up the middle of that defense for 2 scores and the Jay to Chambers combo hook up for 2 scores over Brian Walker :) Plus we have a history of starting off with a strong offensive performance.

I'll go with 24 points (3TD's and a FG). I think we will score more points with this offense and we usually play very well our first game of the year! I look for us to dominate!

:) :D :)

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
4 TD's and 2 Field Goals for a grand total of 34 pts. New QB + Phins defensive secondary = Rough Start for Harrington. Ricky tears up the middle of that defense for 2 scores and the Jay to Chambers combo hook up for 2 scores over Brian Walker :) Plus we have a history of starting off with a strong offensive performance.

I'll use this one....thanks van, all that writing would have sucked.

I would say......

Three offensive TD's, two field goals, and one defensive TD.

Our Fins always start out like gang busters at the beginning of the season, even with a new system (i.e. Wannie's first game as head coach, and Jimmy's first game as head coach), it just doesn't matter. Our first game is against Detroit, by far the easiest opener we've had since I can remember.

With Detroit's leading tackler the last three years (Stephen Boyd) retiring at a young age that will leave a gaping hole in the middle to fill, which will play to or favor because we will give them a heavy dose of Ricky up the middle.

Dolphins will have a 17-0 or 17-3 halftime lead, then we will just run the ball down the Lions throat the whole second half with Ricky. Mike McMahon or Joey Harrington (one of these two will be the starting QB) are both young and will make a common young QB mistake; they will start forcing throws to try to get back into the game resulting in an interception return for a touchdown.

Final score: Dolphins 27 Lions 3

27 points. Detroit's defense is bad and Miami will exploit them in two ways, both passing and rushing. Also, the Miami defense will stop the Lions, giving Miami good field position on offense for most of the game.

Miami will score 24 - 18 points by the offense and 6 by the Defense (since the D doesn't score the extra point).

I say 31 points. This game will remind alot of the opener against Seattle a couple of years ago.

We always start off great i will say 34 points...4 TDs and 2 FGs. Defense will either score or setup the O with a short field. I expect Chambers to catch at least 1 TD and Ricky 2 TDs rushing.:D

gotta go with an easy game ag. the lowly lion cubs 31-10

RW scores 2x, Konrad once and Jay scores the 1st TD

I say we score 24 points, 3 TD's and a Field goal..
Offense is still too new to exploit Detroit.

I'll go with the 34 point scenario...

...because we always start well
...because the Lions will likely still suck
...because the new offense will take time for opposition coaches to get to know
...because our D will give us good field position
...because the fans 'll give the team a clean slate for the new season
...several reasons to do with the players at skill positions on offense

Back
Top Bottom