A little insight into Saban & discipline | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A little insight into Saban & discipline

LSUTigah

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I wanted to comment on this given the release of Quintin Williams and the impending return of Ricky Williams.

The release of Quinten Williams is totally in line with Saban's past. I would not call it a double standard, but Saban will have a short leash with a avg. and/or marginal player and a better player/starter will have a slightly longer leash. During his 5 years at LSU, Saban did kick starters off the team and he did take chances on quality (star) talent with a troubled past. But in the end, Saban never "let the inmates run the insylum". Saban's discipline may come in several forms. It could be to release the player or it could be a list of things the player will have to do to get back into good graces. Furthermore, he has been known to demote a player to a scout team player and have him earn his way back to starting (after meeting specified mandates)

One thing you can count on, Saban's discipline was never a slap on the wrist. You may see some coach suspend a player from starting the game, but the player ends up getting his usual minutes anyway. Saban would not hesitate to suspend a star player for, as an example, 1, 2, 3 games or more depending on the offense.

With the return of Ricky Williams, I have no doubt that Saban has given Ricky a list of things he needs to do or his butt will be gone. Saban may be a lot of things, but he has never let the discipline of a team get away from him. He will give people a chance or 2, and that's it.

Yup, I go to LSU.

Damien James is an example of Saban suspending a starter, and James was a damn good one too.

Agua said:
I'd bet Tavares Tillman is on the short list right now.

Tillman is injured and on the short list for being the passenger. IMO he may not play one downfor the Fins.Saban could give him the axe.:evil::evil::evil:

Thanks for the insight.Thats what I was hoping to hear.Players have to accountable.

I just hope any mandates Saban may issue in order for a player to get out of the doghouse are visable ones. Not necessarily to the point of embarassing the player, but just to show the other players that the guy isnt getting a free pass, and that there are consequences if they screw up.

Tillman will probably not even play a down of football for the Dolphins if we sign Lance.

It's refreshing and reassuring to hear information about a coach us Dolfans have put a tremendous amount of faith in.

Saban is a coach where he will either be boom or bust. Players in the NFL only like a disciplinarian at Head coach if they win.

Disciplining in the NFL is a little more tricky than in college.

In college the coach has absolute authority. In the NFL he doesn't. Most of these players make more than he does and w/ this comes an attitude. Saben can rule w/ an Iron fist now but it will only go so far. If he treats them like college kids there just going to ignore him and think hes a joke. If there winning there won't be a problem but if there losing your going to see a revolt. Guys like Parcells can get away w/ it b/c they have a winning track record and players are just going to do what he says because he has been so successful

I believe this is the hardest part for a college coach to get used to, that the players have alot more power in the NFL.

I interprited Sabans style a bit differantly. I see it as whatever a players past may hold, if the player can help the team win games it does not matter. However if they are involved in any wrong doing while on his team they are gone; or at least in for some gassers or scoutteam work

I just remember getting all excited because Gregg Williams was this disciplinarian. I thougt thats all our team needed was some discipline. Williams came out making players run laps for messing up. He ran training camp like a boot camp. It was ok that training camp, but the team didnt win, and guess what, next year there were no laps and Bills training camp was like disney land.

Coach Coughlin is a guy that better win quick, or those players wont stand for his style anymore. As soon as he started losing in Jacksonville, they got him fired.

Disciplinarian's have gone out of style. Now you need a players coach. A guy that can relate to his players.

WIn and Disciplinarian's are God's, lose and they are the Devil.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
.....Disciplinarian's have gone out of style. Now you need a players coach. A guy that can relate to his players.

There's a former Dolphins coach now employed by the U. of Pittsburgh that was a "players coach". Why dont you Bills fans petition your owner to hire that guy? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom