A look at ourselves... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A look at ourselves...

JT-forpresident

Believe In Miami
Reaction score
From my perspective, I am far from Miami and when I get up every day and read on this forum.... I somehow am surprised and maybe sad to see what people say sometimes. People build their hopes on :

1- Ricky's Return
2- Culpepper healing from that Knee (or is it only the knee..? )

Even though I am not a big suporter of neither of them, I objectively can say, like everyone here, that it is first and foremost easier said than done.

In Ricky's case, he hasn't played a lot of football in the last 3 years of his career ( 0 games in 04, 12 games in 05, and half a season in the CFL due to injury in 06) and is 30 years old...which is kinda old for a RB, especially with the physical style he plays. Do not misunderstand my statement; Ricky's return would be nothing but a positive thing for our organization, but the impact would be minimal. Ricky would provide us a 2nd Rb behind Ronnie Brown. Some people think he should be 1st Rb and that is plain stupid... Ronnie needs experience, playtime and exposure if we are hoping to bloom him into a Star/Stud RB .
Why do we over-react about his return ? It is most likely because we were/are huge fans and he was the face of our franchise like marino was... It is hard to forget, hard to put aside, but the reality right now is that we have a young talented RB for years to come and Ricky can, at best, be a productive 2nd back for us in 2007... if you want to dream about him putting 1000 yard season in 2007, it is up to you but deception is likely the only thing you will get from him if your expectations are that high... and that is not an opinion but a fact. The probabilities are low and that is why my brain (and others' also) tells me not to emphasize my hopes on this player.

Culpepper...
My heart says yes, my mind says no .... doesn't it feel that way for you also ? My heart wants a franchise QB, my heart wants success and this guy has shown it in the past. My mind though, tells me that 3 torn ligaments in one knee shows a low probability of full recovery...I play football in Canada in university ( I've played for 8 years in my life now) and i've known 2 teammates get only one of them ripped appart like culpepper ( the PCL ) , they came back and played with a brace ( when you tear your PCL you'll have to play with a Brace for the rest of your career) and were never the same player they were...even 2-3 years after their injury. So when you tell me he tore 3 ligaments, I'm thinking woah this guy won't ever run like he did in Minnesota. The question is, can he play good without "running" ? People said he was good because of his feet, his powerfull body( arm and size) , randy moss, and his simple playbook... So right now, he doesn't have his feet, doesn't have randy Moss ( chambers... ? ), still has that arm but hasn't shown anything spectacular this year and he has Cam Cameron. My verdict is Cam Cameron will be the factor that will determine Daunte's 2007 year. But if you go with the possibilities... It is unlikely that he will ever be dominant like he was, but the answer has yet to be known, and that's a tough one. In the end, it's Cam's call. But the obvious is that we need to bloom a QB ASAP ... Cleo Lemon could be a long-term answer... but I think it is about time that the dolphins bloom someone.... it's been awhile now and time has shown FA has not been a success for us.

What I finally want to say is that I find it sad to see many raise their hopes on a "has-been" RB and a "Kneeless" quarterback but hey... we have a Kickass defence and we have a good team, I just wanted to share this perception I had of you fellow fin fans and try to make you look in the mirror.... I'll probably get trashed by imbecils who still think marino and shula could come back (if you know what I mean) and i'll be glad if they do so because I would like to hear what interesting things they have to say on the subject !

Good post...great points. I think we need to groom one of our own. Other team's left overs haven't worked for us

Good post. I agree with ya.IMO both these guys are open wounds and once we move on from them we will be successful.Ricky has talent but seems to have lost the passion for the game and is just going thru the motions as his agent tells us what we want to hear. Daunte lacks good decision making leading to many interceptions.A good decision maker is an instinctive type quality that I dont think can be taught.His fumbling of snaps is also a major problem and once again doesnt seem correctable.Turnovers decide games and kill momentum. We need to get what we can for them and turn the page.

I think we just need to fallow what San Diego did and start building for the future. It took them a while to build their team but look at them and how far they have come. Two seasons before this past season they were 4-12 and this season they only lost 2 games.

descent post though not very optimistic in any event. i think that ricky will have a greater impact than just playing second fiddle to ronnie all season but i to am not so optimistic about culpepper coming back and lighting things up for us i suppose we will just have to wait and see.

descent post though not very optimistic in any event. i think that ricky will have a greater impact than just playing second fiddle to ronnie all season but i to am not so optimistic about culpepper coming back and lighting things up for us i suppose we will just have to wait and see.

:rolleyes:
I tried not to sound negative about this whole thing and It was kinda hard (maybe impossible) ... I think the way you interpret my post revels how you will feel, me it makes me feel sad for those two players but otherwise I am indifferent, we need to look forward and that's the bottom line I think ... like I said in my post, we have a Kickass Defence, a future all-star RB and a pretty good team overrall and I feel good about our future ! (maybe i'll feel better when the draft is over and that we selected a QB somewhere in the first day !:lol: )

We haven't gone through the offseason, draft, or training camp yet. I'm waiting to pass judgement until things shake out some more. Speculate all you'd like though.

Culpepper's a tough call. I personally don't think he'll be able to get back to the way he was. With that being said, I do think that he can be productive for us. Cam is great at developing QB's and I think he can help Culpepper change his style to accomodate his new "non-mobility factor" Culpepper has shown in the past to be very accurate and with a solid O Line he should be able to succeed.

In regards to Ricky, it's a coin toss. I do think that if he puts his mind to it and really wants to play, he'll be very productive for us. I feel that the time off he's had will actually help him. Less wear and tear. Used correctly and we could have one of the best tandems in the league. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

yea hopefully Ricky will stay away from banned substances like Pepto Bismol and Sudafed this time.

and for the love of the game, i hope he doesnt take Nyquil...god knows he'll be banned forever if he takes that stuff.

why dont we just ban ricky for drinking water?

so ya i still cant get over the fact that he got banned for taking an herbal supplement like, gee i dont know...green tea....meanwhile a third of the guys in the NFL take steroids, its pretty obvious, and do a darn good job of hiding it.

Good post. I agree with you on both points. I do think we should give DC a chance, but still look for a franchise QB through the draft. DC ain't going to be here for more than 4 years & we need to think about the future. About Ricky, i think he would be a good compliment to Ronnie, but i would only want to sign him if it were for the veteran minimum, if not i think we should trade him.

Back
Top Bottom