A look back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A look back

BIG_FISH_RI

BIG_FISH_RI
Reaction score
Had dinner with my buddy the other night - he was in town for a few days of meetings. As some would know - I have a buddy of mine that is a scout for the Pat's and I usually pick his brain when I get the chance. Like always we sat and talked about football over some drinks and dinner. I started asking about some upcoming players and who to look out for and he gave me some names.

With that in mind I went back and looked at his thoughts on our draft just a few days following the draft and his assement was SPOT ON. makes me wonder - do we have scouts as good as the Pat's? I sure hope so.

See the writie below that I posted:

So like always I had a chance to speak with my buddy today and discuss our draft and get his point of view. Nothing really different then what most "experts" had to say

1. Tannehill - he has all the tools to be a very good QB However he is not ready to play in the NFL this year. He really believes that he will be our starter day 1 but feels that Miami would be best served sitting Tannehll and letting him learn. He believes that Tannehill can make all throws and with some coaching and time could be a very good player in the NFL. While he understands that we had t make the pick, he feels that at 8 he was over drafted for a QB that should not be a starter day 1. Miami's coaching staff will get him ready. (nothing new here)

2. "you have a day 1 starter at left tackle" Martin will start no brainer. He is athletic, he is big, he needs to get stronger but he will fit into that zone blocking scheme that Miami is suppose o be running. (nothing new here)

3. Vernon - Extremely good and will be huge for Miami on 1-2 down. He needs to develop more as an edge rusher. He is really strong an has strong hands. He will set the edge in that 4-3 and do a good job. He said he is not a explosive pass rusher, dont expect for him to be like Wake, but if he can develop a bit more in the pass rushing area he will be a monster. He described him as a bull. He said NE had him rated as a round 2 player and some scouts had him as high as 4th or 5th as a true 4-3 DE. Great Pick May be the best pick in Miami's draft based on what he will do and where he was drafted. (He really talked high of this kid)

4. Egnew - A very good pick if he is used correctly and interesting how he develops. He stated that he is a system guy which you have to be concerned about. However he has the tools and Miami will have to help him develop as a blocker. Yes he is a match up nightmare as most LB will not be able to run but that is over stated as there is no real issue if he can't block as most teams will not even consider the run and play strictly pass when he gets on the field. If he can develop little, it would be interesting how he adds to the offense. (bottom line i got the impression that he is a little but of a project player but has all the tools - again nothing new here)

5. Miller - Was not impressed at all - Soft player. Avoids contact, will go down easy, not sold that the shoulders are not a problem. Will not play hurt. Do not see him performing much. (unlike a lot of us he feels that it was a wasted dream. Does not see him doing much and he even said that he will just get buried down on the roster.)

Kaddu - we didnt discuss

7- Cunnigham - He will make the team. Kid has everything to be a very good WR except speed. He has room to improve but he is smooth and has good hands. Didnt thing he was anything special.

We didnt talk about anyone else.
All in all he felt Miami draft was real sold but would be great if Tannehill develops.

Just wanted to share with you guys like a do yearly.​

Back
Top Bottom