A mini Mini Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A mini Mini Camp Report

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time and I just returned home from Today's Mini Camp.

First of all I'm beat so I'm going to keep this a little short, more to come later tonight, so if there's any questions post them here and I'll try and address them later!

First things first, a very good fight between Alonzo Mayes and Jason Taylor got things going in team drills with Taylor on the receiving end of two pretty good shots to the head. BUT someone needs to tell Mayes that Taylor was wearing his helmet!!! This could have landed Mayes even further into the Coaches dog house, not because the fight erupted, but Mayes kept having to be restrained, and finally was pulled aside by one of the line Coaches. And did not return.

My first real look at Ricky Williams tells me that he is one big mofo, and he seems to be getting along well with his teammates.

The Running Back position could be very very interesting this year. Williams ran real well, churning yardage, and always, no matter if the whistle blew, coming out of the holes for more yards. He also did a very nice job of catching the ball.

Robert Edward's dropped a couple of passes, and also had the ball hit the ground on a botched handoff from Lucas. But I was REALLY IMPRESSED with him, he was hitting the holes very well, but it was his cutbacks that had me in awe, for a guy who almost lost his leg, he showed no ill effects from it.

Minor made some nice runs to the outside, and I'm not sure if it's me but it looked like he may have bulked up a little. He did drop a few passes today though.

Now to the draft pick Leonard Henry, I really liked this guy, having never in my life herd his name before the draft, he is very fluid, not too small, not too big, and runs real well. He will provide some pretty darn good Training Camp competition for Edward's, and Minor.

The offensive line seems to have a bone to pick with someone, I'll tell you this that Jamie Nails has trimmed down from last year, and looks like he does not want to be cut again, also Leon Searcy looked real good on every play, but I thought I noticed him walking like he was in some pain, BUT IT MIGHT have been ME! They tried to fool us today, handing out rosters having McKinney's number listed as #53, but he was wearing #68, at least I think that was him, and if it was not there is a new guy in camp that could be a nice addition. let's go as if it was Mac (Seth). I like his attitude, he seems to have a mean streak in him. He actually made to the LB's a couple of times, and wanted to give them a hit (remember NO PADS). They also worked him at Guard twice (that I noticed), and looked comfortable. Well, one thing is for sure I took notice of Troy Andrews, he has real quick hands coming off the snap. Another one with quick hands was Nails, he gets his hands right in the face of the defender so quick, lets see if he can keep it up though.

OK that's was a little take on some players that would involve the running game.

Here is a very small take on a few other things.

Daryl Gardner at DE? Hmmmm, I don't know about you guys but I think he could do real well there!! Real well, and even more so when I saw him FLY BY LT Brent Smith, and Mayes for a sure sack on Fielder. Yep that's right he was on the right side, but only for two plays. He spent the rest on the left side. He is so darn big I just hope he can hold out all year, having to run down the Qb. But for just one day I'll say that the move looked to be one of Genius. Don't worry folks I'm going to call things like I see them, not like I want to see them.

Larry Chester is a big guy with smallish legs, maybe that could explain his broken leg, or maybe the leg is the reason they are small? But I kind of snickered seeing them bones hold up that frame!

Jamar Fletcher now wears #21, Lowe has his old #24........

Well, I'm off to eat then get back here and relax for a bit.

Any Questions just ask, and I'll try and get to them later.

Peace,

Oz, bro thanks so much for reporting. My only question is how did Jay and the rest of the QB's look?

Originally posted by dolfan87
Oz, bro thanks so much for reporting. My only question is how did Jay and the rest of the QB's look?

Everyone of them EXCEPT McNOWN looked real good!!

I'll fill in more later, got to go eat

Good stuff.

Hearing about Nails and Searcy makes me extremely anxious for the day they get to strap the pads on for real. I'm sure these guys are anxious to do some real hitting instead of the titty fighting that goes in in these mini camps.

One of the best things for our linebackers this year will be getting to tackle Ricky Williams. The first time they come up to hit that guy in the hole, they will get a dazed feeling. I guarantee it. They are going to learn how to tackle a big, powerful, explosive back this year.

Oh, one comment.

You mentioned the hand useage of Troy Andrew and Jamie Nails. This is very important for offensive linemen. The quicker you get your hands on the defender, the better. I've worked with linemen in the past, both offensive and defensive, and the thing I may have stressed the most was their hand useage.

I can't wait till these guys get the pads on to see if they can roll their hips and drive the defender!! You may see in Troy Andrew why the Dolphins decided not to draft a guard.

Sure hope nothing is seriously wrong with Searcy! I wanted this guy on our team When I saw him play in college.

There is probably no need for a red flag. A lot of football players walk around like they are hurt. It seems they think they expend too much energy if they walk normally.

Originally posted by KB21
There is probably no need for a red flag. A lot of football players walk around like they are hurt. It seems they think they expend too much energy if they walk normally.

Jim Brown syndrome? :)

Originally posted by KB21
Oh, one comment.

You mentioned the hand useage of Troy Andrew and Jamie Nails. This is very important for offensive linemen. The quicker you get your hands on the defender, the better. I've worked with linemen in the past, both offensive and defensive, and the thing I may have stressed the most was their hand useage.

I can't wait till these guys get the pads on to see if they can roll their hips and drive the defender!! You may see in Troy Andrew why the Dolphins decided not to draft a guard.

Andrew has shown some real good improvements in his game and seems to also have a nasty streak in him. McKinney also did well with his hands, the thing about Nails, and somewhat McKinney they almost instinctively roll their hips up while at the same time staying lower than the defender, now that's how you drive block!

One thing I'm not sure if I mentioned was how well Searcy got off the ball, and how comfortable he looked his first day on the job at Guard

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Sure hope nothing is seriously wrong with Searcy! I wanted this guy on our team When I saw him play in college.

I did not intend to make a panic out of this, but he did walk with a slight limp, but man I might limp to if I was carrying that much weight! :)

Remember what I said it was UNDETECTABLE during ANY PLAY!

It was after......

Originally posted by WCoastFin
Thanx Oz for the info.....I want to know how Jamar Fletcher played??????

Well, Fletch made a nice INT, picked a tipped ball right before it hit the ground. All in all he did good, but I did see him getting an earful about being out of place once.

Hey, Ozzy.

Any specifics on the QBs at mini camp? You mentioned that McNown was the only one that didn't look good. Was he short arming every thing and spraying the ball around, inaccurately? That was one of his troubles in Chicago. Some of his teammates couldn't believe how inaccurate he was.

Originally posted by Ozzy

Andrew has shown some real good improvements in his game and seems to also have a nasty streak in him. McKinney also did well with his hands, the thing about Nails, and somewhat McKinney they almost instinctively roll their hips up while at the same time staying lower than the defender, now that's how you drive block!

One thing I'm not sure if I mentioned was how well Searcy got off the ball, and how comfortable he looked his first day on the job at Guard
Andrews started a couple of games last season,, I was really impressed with him and look forward to see him play in the scrimmages this summer ! Searcy is a crap shoot, I think he has all the talent to be a Pro Bowl player again,, but I do not believe that his body will hold up to a 16 game punishment. McKinney has really got my curiosity,, I have never seen this kid play a down but from what I have heard from friends that follow A&M closely and the reports that have been posted about McKinney-- this guy might turn out to be another C Chambers !!! ;) Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom