A mock draft of picks 1-13 by national media | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A mock draft of picks 1-13 by national media

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The skinny: The Dolphins are in the market for extra picks. They want to recover the second-rounder they gave up for Brandon Marshall. Another reason they want to add picks is they currently have no proven starter at FS, SOLB, and LG. NT is also a problem because 36-year-old Jason Ferguson will serve an 8-game suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. He won't be availabe until November, meaning Miami has issues at NT as well. If Miami cannot get out of the pick and add a second- or third-rounder in the process, it will look to fill one of its top needs. Bill Parcells is still looking for his new Lawrence Taylor. After carefully considering Earl Thomas (who's visited twice and worked out) and Dan Williams (who has the measurables at NT), the Dolphins go with the pass-rusher. The pick: OLB Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech

ead more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-their-teams-have-done-a-mock.html#ixzz0lWD5J

All I remember about Derrick Morgan was him being a ghost when Georgia Tech strolled down to the 305 this past year on a Thursday night lol.

All I remember about Derrick Morgan was him being a ghost when Georgia Tech strolled down to the 305 this past year on a Thursday night lol.

He didnt' show up this year on a Tuesday night either... Orange Bowl. He had a whopping 2.5 tackles in the most important game of the season. So either he's not all that special, or Bulaga is much better than everyone is giving him credit for. I hope he's not our pick... Actually, I really wasn't impressed with anyone on GT's roster based on that bowl game.

He didnt' show up this year on a Tuesday night either... Orange Bowl. He had a whopping 2.5 tackles in the most important game of the season. So either he's not all that special, or Bulaga is much better than everyone is giving him credit for. I hope he's not our pick... Actually, I really wasn't impressed with anyone on GT's roster based on that bowl game.

Posted on this before:

This isn't true. Against Iowa, Morgan consistently stuffed the run, and he also applied consistent pressure - often being held. Not registering a sack does not equate to being shut down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cTyF6CxOE

Skip ahead to 6:59. You can see Morgan dominating Bulaga (a LT who will probably go in the top 10).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yD6qJieqk&feature=related

And, here you have Bulaga praising Morgan and talking about his attributes as he sees them.

Also check 7:57 (dominates RT) and 8:21 (dominates Bulaga).

And Brandon Graham would be a much better pick.

I tend to agree with your assessments of players. I remember you praising the hell out of Wake prior to last season, and I was high on him as well. I like both Morgan and Graham a great deal. Would like to know how Graham separates himself from Morgan in your eyes. I definitely see each with particular strengths, but for me, it's pretty close to a wash.

Posted on this before:

Also check 7:57 (dominates RT) and 8:21 (dominates Bulaga).

Don't get me wrong, I agree he's a good player, I just don't want him at #12 overall. And by the way, those two moments from that video showcase 1 of his 2.5 tackles in the game and him chasing Stanzi about 8 yards, all the way to a first down. Still not that impressed. I agree it's hard to judge a guy based on the only one game, but I'd like a top 12 pick to show up with more of an impact in big games. Again, he's a great player, I just would prefer to go another direction.

People are really still basing Morgan off his stat sheet at the bowl game? Really?

Sorry if it came off as bashing... criticizing maybe, but like I said above, I would just like to go another direction with that pick. I think how you play in big games is pretty important, therefore I think there are others I would take before him.

There are a few players I like at the spot - Graham and Hughes are right up there - so I won't be crushed or surprised if we pass on Morgan even if he's there. But, if he were the selection, I wouldn't second guess the FO.

I like Morgan too as much as the next guy, but not at #12. If we move down to the late teens or early twenties, then he's a great pick there. But not at #12. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised that there's a top 10, maybe even a top 5 guy still available to us at #12. Will be interesting to see what the FO thinks come Thursday. There are probably only two real game-changing FS in the draft and ??? OLB's. While I think everyone is thinking Bill is thinking of getting a LB, I think they will take a player who is a game-changer that cannot be found later in the draft. Especially if we don't have a second. If they trade back to a later pick, it's most likely going to be an OLB, as there will be a few really good ones available in the mid-late first round and all the good FS will be gone.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he's a good player, I just don't want him at #12 overall. And by the way, those two moments from that video showcase 1 of his 2.5 tackles in the game and him chasing Stanzi about 8 yards, all the way to a first down. Still not that impressed. I agree it's hard to judge a guy based on the only one game, but I'd like a top 12 pick to show up with more of an impact in big games. Again, he's a great player, I just would prefer to go another direction.

Sorry if it came off as bashing... criticizing maybe, but like I said above, I would just like to go another direction with that pick. I think how you play in big games is pretty important, therefore I think there are others I would take before him.

TedSlimmJr said it best. Ferentz is no dummy. He knew that Georgia Tech's only defensive lineman to worry about was Derrick Morgan, so he game planned away from him. All gains of significant yardage on run plays came away from Morgan. Morgan was pretty disruptive given his limited opportunities to make something happen. His impact in that game was his presence alone. He commands respect, and he got it. It's not his fault his teammates couldn't capatalize.

Back
Top Bottom