A Mock Draft with Backup Options | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Mock Draft with Backup Options

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Assuming Alex Smith goes to the 49ers and we are unable to trade out of the #2 slot.

1) Round 1, #2: Braylon Edwards, WR, 6'3, 210 - It's a bit of a question as to whether he is the best WR on the board, or best player. I love Cadillac and would slot him as a 2nd option here. But, overall, it looks like he's the best player here.

2) Round 3, #70: JJ Arrington, RB, 5'10, 214 - We would be fortunate if he fell out of round 2, I believe. If we purchased a "Cadillac" in round 1, I would hope we could get Chris Henry, WR, from West Virginia. He has outstanding potential. Another long-shot option here would be Adrian McPherson, QB.

3) Round 4, #104: Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, 6'3, 321 - Early 2nd round talent, but he falls b/c of Mary-jane use. We need a guy to replace the oft injured, aging DT's. I might even go for this guy in round 3. He could be this year's Will Poole. I would also strongly consider Adrian McPherson, QB, 6'3, 218 here. It really is a tossup for me on this selection if both were available.

4) Round 5, #138: Travis Claridge, OLB/ILB, 6'2, 254 - Good size and can play either OLB or ILB. Two others at the same position to consider here: Johnathan Welsh, DE/OLB, 6'2, 244 or Ryan Riddle, 6'2, 256 - as potential DE, OLB types. If we don't go RB in round 3 or 1, then I would hope for Darren Sproles, RB, 5'6, 187. If McPherson is still on the board, it would be hard to pass him up here.

5) Round 7, #216: (This position is next to impossible to predict as to who will or won't be here, so I'll list 3-4 players - you either want a special teams guy or a guy with some potential but was knocked down for some reason): Justin Beriault, SS, 6'2, 204 - tough, can add bulk and has okay speed; Matt Grootegoed, S/OLB, 5'10, 218 - he's just a tough football player; Karl Paymah, CB, 6'0, 204 - 4.35 speed and looks good in drills. Will likely be gone by this time but if you can get that speed in round 7, go for it; Stefan Leflors, QB, 6'0, 208 - size downgrades him but he is a great athlete with an accurate arm and a winner. If we don't get a QB before this, I'd give him a shot if he is available.

- - - - - - - -
As you can see my wild-card, X-factor player is Adrian McPherson. I really like his size and physical ability. He is in the mold of a McNabb/Culpepper type - very athletic with a great arm and can add a lot of dimensions to a passing game that the average QB cannot.

I would be pretty happy with these guys. But, I think this really shows the difficulty of drafting when you only have 5 picks, and why a team should always try to have 7+ picks in the draft, imo. I also realize I'm stretching it on a few picks, hoping that a couple of guys will fall, but there's no doubt that players will fall - they always do. Sometimes, for good reason, of course. But, Will Poole is a good example of a guy who could become a very good player.

Sorry for the double posting. My computer didn't register it at first and I thought it did not post.

My Apologies

I love the Hawthorne pick. He'd be such a nice pick up... even in the 2nd.

Solid mock... I'd like to see a more definite QB pick.

finsnchips said:
I love the Hawthorne pick. He'd be such a nice pick up... even in the 2nd.

Solid mock... I'd like to see a more definite QB pick.

I considered him seriously as a choice in round 3 also. He is clearly 2nd round talent, probably high 2nd round talent. His marijuana use will scare some teams off - whether it's enough to drop him through the 3rd round is hard to say. Depends on team needs, etc.

Where in England do you live? We were in Europe for a month last year (working), but spent several days in London. Your user-name makes me long for some good, genuine, Fish 'n Chips!!! That and a Guiness draft are as good as anything on the planet, imo.

Da 'Fins said:
I considered him seriously as a choice in round 3 also. He is clearly 2nd round talent, probably high 2nd round talent. His marijuana use will scare some teams off - whether it's enough to drop him through the 3rd round is hard to say. Depends on team needs, etc.

Where in England do you live? We were in Europe for a month last year (working), but spent several days in London. Your user-name makes me long for some good, genuine, Fish 'n Chips!!! That and a Guiness draft are as good as anything on the planet, imo.
I live in Southend, just outside of London.

I'm actually working in London, in the office at the moment. I work near Liverpool Street Station.

Where abouts in London were you around?

I'm glad someone appreciates the username.. :)

finsnchips said:
I live in Southend, just outside of London.

I'm actually working in London, in the office at the moment. I work near Liverpool Street Station.

Where abouts in London were you around?

I'm glad someone appreciates the username.. :)

We stayed very close to Notting Hill - we saw some very nice homes in that area, just walking around the neighborhoods. Of course, we traveled all over the place in the city.

Back
Top Bottom