A New Building Model? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A New Building Model?

A lot of people going to be salty when Miami drafts Hebert. They’ve been scouting that dude for 2+years. That’s who they like if I had to bet on it.

I think a high draft pick was just going to be a by-product of their plan.
Clear the books of bad contracts, do a hard re-set, establish a new culture, and let the chips fall where they may. A top draft pick will just be an added bonus, I don't think they did it IN ORDER TO GET that high pick...too risky. This FO has to remember Dion Jordan. Any pick can bust. You create a plan, follow it, then roll with the results(those being, wherever the fins pick, well then they pick)
At least they know building a team through the draft is the way to go, and added tons of high round picks to facilitate the rebuild. Now, just hitting those picks...

A lot of people going to be salty when Miami drafts Hebert. They’ve been scouting that dude for 2+years. That’s who they like if I had to bet on it.
I also have a funny feeling it's going to be Herbert with 1A.
I read his major problem is footwork; if the staff feels that's fixable, then it could be a great choice. I'm no scout though.

Well, I'm not against it, but Flo hasn't been here for 2 years, so I'm not sure how much what happened prior matters all that much.

Herbert had Tannenbaum's eye, he's the one who scouted him several times and has spoken about him at length, as a member of the media this year. Grier has been to see Herbert once this season, which makes sense, as he's doing his do diligence on the player. A good argument can be made about Herbert and Miami. The questions Miami needs to answer are; Is Herbert underachieving due to the coaches holding back at Oregon? He's complained on occasions about the restrictions on the offense at Oregon. Is his, cerebral personality holding him back? He doesn't seem like a leader at times, kind of a non shalant type personality. This kid scares me, because there is a huge risk factor. If Miami guesses wrong, it sets them back.

For me as of today....

Option 1: See if Mike Brown is willing to swing a deal for #1. We have the ammo and who knows what that guy is thinking? Draft Joe Burrow.

Option 2: I think we will end up with 4 or 5 wins and that likely puts us closer to 10 than 1. If Tua is available and we've learned enough about his recovery, take him at our top spot IF we can. I don't get the "he's not worth a top 4 pick" stuff. If you have enough conviction to draft a QB at 10, you take him over anyone else no matter if it's 2 or 5 or 10. Someone will jump us and trade up if he checks out.

Option 3: If we miss on Burrow AND Tua, then identify another QB we can get later and fill out those trenches in the first. Maybe even trade out of the first to get another 2021, 1st by a team that could finish high in the draft.

I'm not big on any big money free agent QB. No to Teddy and Cam and Dalton. I still don't think anyone has seen the best of Rosen but I did see glimpses. He was JUST NOT READY yet.

As far as Jordan Love, word is he is going to try and transfer to a team like Oklahoma and play another year to improve his draft stock.

Jalen Hurts is an awful quaterback. One read and exit pocket to the right. Floats balls all day. Just a bad QB

I wouldn't doubt it. I know he sometimes has trouble with his mechanics (footwork), but he has tools to work with. Maybe a cross between Carson Wenz and Josh Allen. Perhaps, an old school Drew Bledsoe or as CK has said Joe Flacco.

The big problem with FA QBs is missing out on the rookie contract...

Couldn't agree more. That's my biggest argument about getting a team built before drafting a QB. You get those 4 years of low salary so why would you want to waste 2 of them surrounded by a garbage squad? We've all seen how that movie ends.

Herbert had Tannenbaum's eye, he's the one who scouted him several times and has spoken about him at length, as a member of the media this year. Grier has been to see Herbert once this season, which makes sense, as he's doing his do diligence on the player. A good argument can be made about Herbert and Miami. The questions Miami needs to answer are; Is Herbert underachieving due to the coaches holding back at Oregon? He's complained on occasions about the restrictions on the offense at Oregon. Is his, cerebral personality holding him back? He doesn't seem like a leader at times, kind of a non shalant type personality. This kid scares me, because there is a huge risk factor. If Miami guesses wrong, it sets them back.
I do feel there's risk there for the reasons you stated. Now, there's a pretty significant injury risk with Tua as well. If you're rolling the dice with someone, maybe Herbert makes sense. This front office has talked a lot about leadership at the position, though, and if Herbert lacks there I think Miami looks elsewhere.

So much talk about Tua and the tank. But his injury throws a big monkey wrench on Miami's offseason plans. It may be too big of a risk to take him in the top 10, although many teams will be watching to see how his rehab goes. Another team to watch now in the quarterback search are the soon to be Las Vegas Raiders. To be honest, I think Burrow and a healthy Tua are the only two worth a top 10 pick. That said, I know teams are going to roll the dice. Miami may be one of those with Herbert a stronger possibility now.

The Dolphins could follow a similar path that San Francisco or New Orleans took, though. Neither drafted the quarterback of the future and both are among the best teams in the NFL, the Saints for quite some time now. Miami fans know all too well that the Saints got Brees, while the Dolphins ended up with Culpepper.

One thing is certain, I just don't think a team can win without a top quarterback. The coaching staff here, though, is a positive. Perhaps they can develop one. Think about this. Since Marino retired, Miami hasn't had a top-notch coach. There were a few that did okay, but player development has been a huge reason why the Dolphins have been mediocre for so long. That and, for some reason, never being able to field a solid offensive line. We talk a lot about how Miami could have drafted Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Ryan, Jackson etc. That's well and good, but how would they have done in Miami with the bumbling coaches the team has had here? And with no offensive line?

Anyway, for the fun of it, let's talk about a different building ideas? How about Bridgewater in free agency? He looked awfully impressive in New Orleans, going 5-0 with nine touchdowns and just two interceptions. If you extrapolate that over 15 games, that's 27 touchdowns and six interceptions. You can win with that. I know, the Saints offense is loaded and Miami's is near expansion team level. There are some trade options, the best might be Cam Newton, but he's an injury risk. The rest are no better than Tannehill, players like Carr, Trubisky, Dalton etc.

Bridgewater was pursued by Miami in the offseason, which means they thought he was at least a fit. He also had a lot of success with DaVante Parker at Lousville. He's a bit too conservative at times, and I do wonder if he moves the needle enough. But, I don't think he's getting big money (qb-wise) and that doesn't preclude the Dolphins taking a quarterback. Although, maybe the team waits until 2021.

I'd favor going heavy on the offensive line in free agency, picking up two quality starters if possible. One, if two aren't available. My biggest splurge in free agency would be a pass rusher either Clowney or Armstead. Watching the Dolphins lack of pass rush has to bug Flores in a big way, plus the team has struggled to find those types of players in the draft. I'd fill in the rest of free agency with depth types. I love Derrick Henry, but I think he's going to be too costly for a running back. Plus, that's a strong suit in the draft.

As to the draft, with the quarterback position solidified (probably), I would look BPA with a focus on the elite positions. Miami could get to 5-11 with NYG and Cincinnati winnable games so drafting close to top 5. How about something like this for the first two rounds.....

1. Derrick Brown DT, Auburn (other option Epenesa)
1. Alex Leatherwood OT, Alabama
1. Tyler Biadasz C, Wisconsin
2. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
2. Najee Harris, RB Alabama

Maybe a corner in there. Brown is interesting because he can stop the run and pressure the passer from the inside. Miami does need an edge-setter, but Young will be gone. Epenesa probably ends up top 10. He's intriguing. I would also like to see the Dolphins find a receiver who can take the top off a defense like Ruggs III, but I think he goes top 15. Hurts will likely end up in the first round when all is said and done. Lots of other possibilities there if you don't go quarterback.

Chase Young

For me as of today....

Option 1: See if Mike Brown is willing to swing a deal for #1. We have the ammo and who knows what that guy is thinking? Draft Joe Burrow.

Option 2: I think we will end up with 4 or 5 wins and that likely puts us closer to 10 than 1. If Tua is available and we've learned enough about his recovery, take him at our top spot IF we can. I don't get the "he's not worth a top 4 pick" stuff. If you have enough conviction to draft a QB at 10, you take him over anyone else no matter if it's 2 or 5 or 10. Someone will jump us and trade up if he checks out.

Option 3: If we miss on Burrow AND Tua, then identify another QB we can get later and fill out those trenches in the first. Maybe even trade out of the first to get another 2021, 1st by a team that could finish high in the draft.

I'm not big on any big money free agent QB. No to Teddy and Cam and Dalton. I still don't think anyone has seen the best of Rosen but I did see glimpses. He was JUST NOT READY yet.

As far as Jordan Love, word is he is going to try and transfer to a team like Oklahoma and play another year to improve his draft stock.
That would be a great decision for Love. He'd potentially go from an "I don't know for sure" to top 10 pick.

Back
Top Bottom